vikings

1. E

Question Viking warriors haplogroup and Nordic culture

So, I read some posts on a non-english forum that say the people from Central Asia created the Nordic culture, as Viking soldiers and elites actually belong to haplgroup R1a and haplogroup N, the Nordic runes derived from old Turkic scripts, and even the Yggdrasil tree in the Norse mythology is...
  2. V

Is my Grandfathers Haplogroup Norse Viking or Jutish/Anglish/Saxon?

My grandfathers ydna was I-FT258149, and his paternal line is originally from West Yorkshire, and parts of Northern Nottinghamshire (East Midlands). This haplogroup belongs to I-M253>I-DF29>I-Y2592>I-CTS6364>I-S4795>I-FGC20030>I-FT3275>I-A5338>I-A5339. So just based on how it is classified, it...
  3. Maciamo

Ragnar Lothbrok's dynasty may well have belonged to haplogroup R1a-Z284

I have checked Ragnar Lothbrok's genealogy to find if he had male line descendants to this day. It would not be surprising considering that he had eight sons and they became powerful rulers of their own. The main issue is that the genealogy is disputed. If enough Y-DNA lines survived, it would...
  4. ConfusedCelt

I have T1a2b1a, am I descended from Carthaginians/Phonecians?

All the rest of my ancestry was Celtic and Saxon/Scandinavian. But I had a tiny sliver of DNA titled "Balari" and I looked it up and they were a Nuragic people. And my YDNA is Haplogroup T1a2... My father is from the Netherlands and my mother is from Ireland. Where did this come from? Did it...
  5. Maciamo

Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020)

A new paper just came out: Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020) Abstract The maritime expansion of Scandinavian populations during the Viking Age (about AD 750–1050) was a far-flung transformation in world history. Here we sequenced the genomes of 442 humans from...
  6. Jovialis

Vikings arrived in Ireland when the population was in serious decline

New research has found that the population of Ireland was in decline for almost 200 years before the Vikings settled. The research from Queen's University Belfast's School of Natural and Built Environment is the first of its kind and has been published in the Journal of Archaeological Science...
  7. Jovialis

Large-Scale Tar Production May Have Fueled Viking Expansion

UPPSALA, SWEDEN—Industrial-scale production of tar in the eighth-century A.D. allowed the Vikings to waterproof large numbers of ships and raid other parts of Europe, according to a report in The Guardian. Andreas Hennius of Uppsala University says that pits uncovered during a road construction...
  8. Jovialis

How to decorate like a Viking

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK—Conservators Line Bregnhøi and Lars Holten of the National Museum of Denmark have reproduced the bold colors thought to have been used to decorate the largest Viking building known in Denmark, according to a Science Nordic report. The researchers analyzed samples of pigments...
  9. Jovialis

What Vikings really put in their pillows

Not too many people are able to identify birds by examining a single feather. But a number of folks need to know that sort of thing, and it can actually save lives. Your pillows – if they're not synthetic – are almost certainly filled with domestic goose or duck feathers. These are the most...
  10. Jovialis

The Viking Great Army in England: new dates from the Repton charnel

Abstract: Archaeological evidence for the Viking Great Army that invaded England in AD 865 is focused particularly on the area around St Wystan's church at Repton in Derbyshire. Large numbers of burials excavated here in the 1980s have been attributed to the overwintering of the Great Army in...
  11. Peura

U5a2a

Hi, new to the forum. Is anybody interested in talking about U5a2a (or any U5a2 -family)? To get the ball rolling, I learned today that the oldest found remains for this HG was at Hohlenstein-Stadel, Germany, 8,700 YBP, and more recently, at Damsbo, Denmark, 4,200 YBP. The latter is an Iron...
  12. Sloven-Vened

Prehistoric Multicultural Settlement, Celts in Slovakia, Bošáca and Lusatian Culture

It is archeological scientific publication The Prehistoric Multicultural Settlement of Hajná Nová Ves (Slovakia) Cultural-historical, settlement-archaeological and archaeo-environmental contexts in Western Carpathia at the end of early prehistoric and in the late prehistoric periods Published...
  13. Maciamo

DNA of Viking rulers of Normandy coming in autumn

Just saw this in the news: Was Viking ruler Rollo Danish or Norwegian? This means that we should get the Y-DNA haplogroup of the Viking rulers of Normandy, from Rollo to William the Conqueror. Looking forward to it.
  14. S

Vikings in Portugal

I want to know what my forum colleagues think about this matter since it is something that not even portuguese know about or they do not care. Well I want to know the opinion of people here that know a lot more than I do about genetics and anthropology and than when they do I'll say what I have...
  15. Maciamo

An analysis of Scandinavian Y-DNA

I have just updated the Y-DNA frequencies for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The sample sizes are now respectively 613, 1323 and 2826, including the FTDNA projects for each country. I didn't use the data from the Scandinavian DNA Project and the Viking DNA Project as I didn't feel like checking for...
Back