scandinavia

1. M

R1b-U106 increased EEF in Scandinavians

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genomicatlas.org/2021/04/25/genetics-of-the-nordic-bronze-age/amp/ I was reading this blog post about the Nordic Bronze Age. But this caught my attention. It basically says that R1a conquered Scandinavia before than R1b, something that makes total sense, since...
  2. EV13SON

Europe's Last Hunter Gatherers? Pitted Ware Culture

Credit goes to Dan Davis just sharing his video, found some of the information interesting...
  3. Archetype0ne

Genomic and isotopic studies shed light into the mobility of medieval individuals CE

Courtesy of Waldermar, Polish-Pomeranian member over at Anthrogenica. I found the similarity maps reminiscent of a Lazaridis paper. Also quite interesting, confirming some suspicions I have held. On whether all the samples are Slavic he replied: "In Radom, Grodowice and Detkovice, most...
  4. Maciamo

Ragnar Lothbrok's dynasty may well have belonged to haplogroup R1a-Z284

I have checked Ragnar Lothbrok's genealogy to find if he had male line descendants to this day. It would not be surprising considering that he had eight sons and they became powerful rulers of their own. The main issue is that the genealogy is disputed. If enough Y-DNA lines survived, it would...
  5. Maciamo

Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020)

A new paper just came out: Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020) Abstract The maritime expansion of Scandinavian populations during the Viking Age (about AD 750–1050) was a far-flung transformation in world history. Here we sequenced the genomes of 442 humans from...
  6. Jovialis

The Genetic Prehistory of the Baltic Sea Region

While the series of events that shaped the transition between foraging societies and food producers are well described for Central and Southern Europe, genetic evidence from Northern Europe surrounding the Baltic Sea is still sparse. Here, we report genome-wide DNA data from 38 ancient North...
  7. Jovialis

Mesolithic Scandinavia: Early Postglacial Migration Routes & High-Latitude Adaptation

Mesolithic Scandinavia: Early Postglacial Migration Routes & High-Latitude Adaptation http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2003703 Population genomics of Mesolithic Scandinavia: Investigating early postglacial migration routes and high-latitude adaptation...
  8. Maciamo

Scandinavians are the healthiest in old age

An interactive chart by The Economist shows the relation between life expectancy, GDP per capita, and the proportion of elderly people living in good health. The results are somewhat surprising. While the French, Swiss, Italians and Spaniards live the longest, the graph shows that relatively...
  9. Jovialis

Scandinavia's Earliest Farmers Exchanged Terminology with Indo-Europeans

Early farmers in southern Scandinavia helped to influence Proto-Indo-European language.
  10. Maciamo

Dodecad & Eurogenes admixture for Early vs Late Bronze Age Scandinavian genomes

I have had a look at Mesolithic and Neolithic genomes, an Early Bronze Age Yamna genome, compared Corded Ware vs Sintashta genomes, and analysed the Hinxton Celtic and Anglo-Saxon genomes. Here is another Corded Ware (or Battle-Axe) culture genome, but from Denmark instead of Poland., which I...
  11. F

Bronze-age trade networks

I have decided to make this new thread to present and discuss a number of recent, primarily archeometalurgical studies that shed more light on long distance bronze-age trade connections across Europe. This thread is meant to complement, not to replace, related threads, especially on the...
  12. C

Can Scientific And Engineering Success Be Attributed To One Grioup? Your Opnion.

Taking into account the scientific, engineering, and mechanical accomplishments of Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.... in your, the reader's opinion... is this linked to a genetic group? If so, explain. I think I1 --> M253, in particular, are responsible for many advancements.
  13. Maciamo

An analysis of Scandinavian Y-DNA

I have just updated the Y-DNA frequencies for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The sample sizes are now respectively 613, 1323 and 2826, including the FTDNA projects for each country. I didn't use the data from the Scandinavian DNA Project and the Viking DNA Project as I didn't feel like checking for...
  14. Maciamo

Y-haplogroups of the Volga-Ural region + Saami + Gotland

I have added new populations in the Y-DNA tables: the island of Gotland in Sweden, the Saami (Finland+Sweden+Norway), and the six main ethnic groups of the Volga-Ural region in Russia: the Chuvashs, Komi, Mari, Mordvins, Tatars, and Udmurts. Gotland distinguishes itself by its extremely high...
  15. Maciamo

Analysis of R1b subclades in Scandinavia

I had a look at the Scandinavian Y-DNA Project (essentially Sweden and Norway) and Denmark DNA Project at FTDNA and counted the members for each subclade of R1b, eliminating members of non-Scandinavian origin and duplicates. Within the P312* in the first project I managed to identify 2...
  16. Maciamo

Map of Germanic paternal lineages

I have created a new map combining most Germanic lineages associated with the diffusion Germanic peoples from the Iron Age onwards. These includes Y-DNA haplogroups I1 (except some subclades of Finnish origin), I2-M223, R1a-Z284, R1b-U106, and R1b-L238.
  17. edao

Neurology Scandinavians Have Larger Brains

"Humans living at high latitude have bigger eyes and bigger brains to cope with poor light during long winters and cloudy days, UK scientists have said. The scientists measured the eye sockets and brain volumes of 55 skulls from 12 populations across the world, and plotted the results...
  18. S

roswell and a scandinavian race

The Roswell incident was the alleged crash landing of alien spacecraft in the desert. Many witnesses have come forward and claimed to have seen a crashed flying saucer and alien bodies. In reality the roswell incident was a goverment hoax. It was designed to make you believe conciously or...
Back