pie

1. Anfänger

The Eneolithic cemetery at Khvalynsk on the Volga River

New archeological paper about Khvalynsk. Shared by Lazaridis on Twitter. Abstract The genetically attested migrations of the third millennium BC have made the origins and nature of the Yamnaya culture a question of broad relevance across northern Eurasia. But none of the key archaeological...
  2. Anfänger

Southern Ancestry in "Steppe"

We know from various studies that Yamnaya/Corded ware and Eneolithic Steppe(Progress/Vonyuchka) have a significant amount of southern ancestry, right now called CHG or CHG/Iran but we still don't know where it is exactly from. There are many suggestions, I try to summarize the two main...
  3. Ned

PIE origins, Proto-Anatolian, Maykop and Kristiansen

Kristiansen, Kristian "The Archaeology of Proto-Indo-European and Proto-Anatolian: Locating the Split" in "Dispersals and Diversification: Linguistic and Archaeological Perspectives on the Early-Stages of Indo-European" ed.: M. Serangeli & Th. Olander (Leiden: Brill, 2020) pp 157-163 I've just...
  4. Maciamo

My proposed tree of Indo-European languages

Johane Derite posted a list of different phylogenetic trees of IE languages proposed by various linguists in another thread. I thought it would be an ideal opportunity for me to post my proposed phylogenetic tree, which I have not only based on linguistic evidence, but also on archaeological and...
  5. Maciamo

Y-DNA and mtDNA frequencies in Proto-Indo-European cultures

I have added the samples from Allentoft 2015 and updated the haplogroup frequencies in the section Haplogroups of Bronze Age Proto-Indo-Europeans.
  6. Maciamo

Revising the reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European numerals

Many linguists have attempted to reconstruct how the original Proto-Indo-European numerals may have sounded like. Unfortunately they tend to end up with overly theoretical prototypes that are unlikely to have ever been uttered by people. Here are two examples of reconstructed dating from 1995...
  7. Maciamo

More evidence that the PIE R1b people originated in the Maykop culture

Dienekes mentions on his blog a recent paper by Konstantine Pitskhelauri on the settlement of the Caucasus by migrants from the Middle East during the Neolithic period. The paper brings additional evidence regarding the origins of the Early Bronze Age Maykop culture in Mesopotamia, confirming...
  8. Maciamo

Revising the classification of Indo-European languages

We have hypothesised in Germanic words of non-IE origin that Proto-Germanic borrowed a few common words from indigenous pre-IE Scandinavians. I believe that there may be a much bigger proportion of Latin and Greek words (including those inherited in modern Romance languages) that are not...
Back