britain

1. Maciamo

Culture shock Why the Dutch always say what they mean

Communication between Europeans is much more complicated than between, say, Americans. Obviously Europe has a lot of different languages. But even if everybody speaks the same language, for example English, misunderstandings often result from cultural differences in the way people express...
  2. Maciamo

New once in a decade census shows how fast the British population is changing

The UK has been holding population census every decade since 1801. The last one was conducted in 2021, but results are only starting to get published now. Within the UK, England has seen the fastest population growth, jumping from 50 to 59 million inhabitants! The increase is solely due to...
  3. Maciamo

How Brexit has f*cked the British economy

The UK is now one of the slowest growing economy in Europe and suffers from the highest inflation. Its labour productivity growth is now the lowest after Greece and Italy, after being one of the highest in the early 2000's. But that's not all, far from it. TLDR summarised it well in this video.
  4. M

mtDNA N1'5

My mtDNA haplogroup result is N1'5 and I'm slightly baffled and intrigued by what this means. Most of known ancestry is very rooted in a small area of eastern England. My Y-DNA is an easier to explain/understand I1a1b1. I'm struggling to find much information about N1'5 or what it might mean...
  5. M

The ancestors of Askenazi women in B. Beaker England and Spain

In Bell Beaker Iberia K1a1b1 (the ancestor of the most common Askenazi mitochondrial haplogroup) are 4/37 of the samples. That's basically being part of the population. While as we know, the Yamnaya replaced also the women in Britain. Leaving only 1/37 of the samples that managed to survive...
  6. V

Is my Grandfathers Haplogroup Norse Viking or Jutish/Anglish/Saxon?

My grandfathers ydna was I-FT258149, and his paternal line is originally from West Yorkshire, and parts of Northern Nottinghamshire (East Midlands). This haplogroup belongs to I-M253>I-DF29>I-Y2592>I-CTS6364>I-S4795>I-FGC20030>I-FT3275>I-A5338>I-A5339. So just based on how it is classified, it...
  7. F

What are the ethnic patterns of Scottish Y DNA?

So I was recently reading a bit about the archeology of the material culture in western Scotland that debunks the idea of an Irish invasion, and it got me thinking. What migration patterns would you expect of the 4 "main" ethnic groups that amalgamated to form the modern day Scots on a tool like...
  8. M

Women(alone) settled in Orkney in the Early Bronze Age

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2022/02/bronze-age-women-altered-genetic-landscape-of-orkney/142705?amp A new study has found something unbelievable. That in the Early Bronze Age, instead of the male dominated invasion of Europe that we all here know. It was women the ones that were brought to...
  9. M

Iron Age settling of Britain

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-harvard-geneticists-ancient-britain-insights.amp A new David Reich's paper has shed light of a 50% population turnover at the end of Bronze Age (1200-800 BC) in Britain. We're yet to see what about Ireland. The settlers descended from a population in France. Given...
  10. Maciamo

Ragnar Lothbrok's dynasty may well have belonged to haplogroup R1a-Z284

I have checked Ragnar Lothbrok's genealogy to find if he had male line descendants to this day. It would not be surprising considering that he had eight sons and they became powerful rulers of their own. The main issue is that the genealogy is disputed. If enough Y-DNA lines survived, it would...
  11. D

J-L70-Z435-PH-3882 PH2575 J-Z39057 J-Z28739 Norman-Anglo Irish Essex, England

Good Evening This is my first post occasioned by receipt of my BIG Y as itemized in the subject line. My introduction to genetic testing began when a gentleman who shared our last name wanted to prove that his Hunts were related to our de Vere Hunts of Curragh Chase and by definition from...
  12. Maciamo

Genome-wide genetic analysis of ancient Britons through the ages

After Gaul, Italy, Iberia and Germanic tribes, here are the Dodecad K12b ancient British people from the Neolithic to the Late Bronze Age. I have calculated the average values (modal) for each period. I then compared these modals to modern populations using Vahaduo.
  13. Maciamo

Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020)

A new paper just came out: Population genomics of the Viking world (Margaryan et al 2020) Abstract The maritime expansion of Scandinavian populations during the Viking Age (about AD 750–1050) was a far-flung transformation in world history. Here we sequenced the genomes of 442 humans from...
  14. Y

A "southward" shift of English genetics between the LBA and the Modern Era???

A "southward" shift of English genetics between the LBA and the Modern Era??? I have been running some tests and analysis using the G25 samples, and I have noticed a very intriguing thing as I plotted English averaged population samples on a North European PCA. See for yourselves in this image...
  15. P

GM3302 in England

Hello. My genealogical paper trail goes back to 1550 and a tiny farming village of Swanbourne, Buckinghamshire in England. The man's name was Henry Pallady/Palladine. It is likely he was a member of the small landowning family, Palady, that existed at least as early as the late 1400's. Later on...
  16. Jovialis

Decapitation Burial Ritual in Roman-Era Britain?

SUFFOLK, ENGLAND—BBC News reports that up to 40 percent of the skeletons unearthed in a fourth-century Roman cemetery in eastern England had been decapitated. Andrew Peachey of Archaeological Solutions thinks the heads were carefully removed after death. “We are looking at a very specific part...
  17. Jovialis

Remains of Anglo-Saxon cemetery discovered

Archaeologists from the University of Sheffield have uncovered a previously unknown Anglo-Saxon cemetery. Excavations have revealed more than 20 burials at the extraordinary cemetery in the Lincolnshire Wolds dating back to the late fifth to mid sixth centuries AD. The dig at the site in...
  18. Jovialis

Celtic Chariot Burial Uncovered in Wales

PEMBROKESHIRE, WALES—The first known Celtic chariot burial in Wales has been discovered in a Pembrokeshire field, according to a report from the Tivy-Side Advertiser. Beginning in February, metal detectorist Mike Smith unearthed a number of pieces of Iron Age Celtic metalwork, including part of...
  19. Jovialis

Medieval graffiti: the lost voices of England’s churches in the Middle Ages

From beasts and demons to Latin prayers for the dead, the walls of England's medieval churches and cathedrals are covered with inscriptions and doodles. But what do they tell us about the Middle Ages? In his 2015 book, Medieval Graffiti, archaeologist and leading expert Matthew Champion explores...
  20. P

Most Likely Periods of Entry of R1b-U152 into the British Isles

I am a part of the Z36 branch of the R1b-U152 Y-Haplogroup, and I'm 99% certain that my paternal ancestry is British in nature. As U152's prevalence in the British Isles is markedly lower than that of S21's or L21's, I've grown curious at how exactly my paternal family would have gotten to...
Back