anglo-saxons

1. V

Is my Grandfathers Haplogroup Norse Viking or Jutish/Anglish/Saxon?

My grandfathers ydna was I-FT258149, and his paternal line is originally from West Yorkshire, and parts of Northern Nottinghamshire (East Midlands). This haplogroup belongs to I-M253>I-DF29>I-Y2592>I-CTS6364>I-S4795>I-FGC20030>I-FT3275>I-A5338>I-A5339. So just based on how it is classified, it...
  2. Jovialis

Remains of Anglo-Saxon cemetery discovered

Archaeologists from the University of Sheffield have uncovered a previously unknown Anglo-Saxon cemetery. Excavations have revealed more than 20 burials at the extraordinary cemetery in the Lincolnshire Wolds dating back to the late fifth to mid sixth centuries AD. The dig at the site in...
  3. Jovialis

Anglo-Saxon Cross from one of the Earliest Christian Burials in Britain

The 1,300-year-old gold and garnet cross was unearthed at Trumpington Meadows near Cambridge in 2011 on land for a new housing development. The grave is thought to be one of the earliest Christian burials in Britain. The Trumpington Cross, thought to be worth more than £80,000, was donated to...
  4. Maciamo

Eurogenes K36 admixtures of Hinxton genomes ( Iron Age Britons & Anglo-Saxons)

The Hinxton genomes were released in October 2014 and I already analysed their admixtures using the Dodecad dv3 and K12b calculators at the time. Here is another look at them using the Eurogenes K36 admixtures instead. It's a good opportunity to see which component of K36 correlate most with...
  5. Maciamo

Autosomal analysis of the genomes of Iron Age Britons and Anglo-Saxons

Schiffels et al. (2014) tested two Iron Age Celtic samples and four early medieval Anglo-Saxon samples, all from Hixton in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia, England. The Iron Age Britond lived approximately 2,000 years ago, while the Anglo-Saxon individuals are dated to c. 1,300 years before present...
  6. R

Extent of L1029 prior to the Slavic Migrations?

I've been reading on a few different forums that L1029, a subclade of M458, can be correlated with the expansion of the Lusatian Culture of 1300-700 BCE. (I can't post links, but if you google "update on L1029" it should be the first result). If that is true, then wouldn't a significant portion...
Back