maps

1. Maciamo

Sustainability Beef consumption slightly decreasing in many European countries

About 9% of global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by the methane emitted from cattle flatulence. Additionally, large swathes of the Amazon rainforest are being destroyed (usually burned) to expand cattle ranching. Tropical deforestation itself is responsible for 10% of global warming, and...
  2. Maciamo

Society Evolution of LGBT rights in Europe from 2014 to 2024

LGBT rights have come a long way since 2001 when the Netherlands became the first country in the world to legalise gay marriage. Many Western European countries followed suit soon afterwards and gay marriage has been adopted by even more nations, especially in Central and Eastern Europe, in the...
  3. Maciamo

Society Germany to legalise cannabis from 1st April 2024 (soon after Malta and Luxembourg)

The Guardian: Germany legalises possession of cannabis for personal use The new law will allow the growth of up to three plants for private consumption, holding 50g of cannabis at home, or 25g in public. This makes Germany the third European Union member state to legalise cannabis for personal...
  4. Maciamo

Society Internet penetration increased significantly from 2019 to 2021

It may be due to the Covid-19 effect or just the economy catching up, but in only two years many countries have seen their percentage of Internet users rise quite a lot, as can be seen on the two maps below. If data is correct, the share of Internet users dropped in a few countries though...
  5. Maciamo

Society How the prevalence of modern slavery changed in Europe from 2018 to 2023

I have just updated the map of modern slavery based on the Global Slavery Index. There are some interesting evolutions. In 2018, slavery was almost completely absent from Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland and Austria. However in 2023, that was only the case of Norway. The other...
  6. Maciamo

Economy Social security benefits of an average worker as percentage of earnings

Here is a new map showing the social security benefits of an average worker as a percentage of their previous earnings in the OECD. The beneficiaries in question are retired workers, disabled workers, and aged widows and widowers. This data does not include unemployment benefits. The most...
  7. Maciamo

Health Obesity rates decreased across most of Europe from 2016 to 2024

This map is based on the data from the CIA World Factbook as reported on Wikipedia. The percentages indicated for the increase of decrease in obesity rates are the difference between the rates for 2016 and for 2024. For example, in the United Kingdom the rate decreased from 27.8% in 2016 to...
  8. Maciamo

Health The impact of COVID-19 on life expectancy (change from 2014 to 2021)

I have just made this map to visualise which countries were the most affected by COVID-19. It is based on data from the World Bank Group published on Wikipedia. The eastern half of Europe, as well as India and most countries on the American continent (including the US, but not so much Canada)...
  9. Coriolan

Politics Redesigning the borders of Europe and the Middle East

I was wondering what Europe would look like if the various separatist movements had their way. I checked the list of active separatist movements in Europe and selected only the regions with reasonable claims of independence based on the percentage of population supporting independence. This is...
  10. Maciamo

Economy Map of showing share of banks with mobile apps in and around Europe

Here is my latest map based on data from the World Bank. The map shows the percentage of people aged 15+ who have an account with a bank or other financial institution that provides mobile money services. It doesn't necessarily mean that those people are using mobile banking or other mobile...
  11. Maciamo

Society Year of introduction of electronic ID cards in Europe

Some 70 countries worldwide now use eID cards. Belgium and Finland were the first countries to introduce them in 2003, followed by Sweden (2005), the Netherlands (2006) and Spain (2006). In 2007, Estonia became the first country to allow electronic voting for parliamentary elections. Nowadays...
  12. Maciamo

Crime Crime maps of Europe

I have made a series of map using the data from Numbeo as of late 2022. The maps do not show the actual crime rate, but the fear of crimes being committed. So this reflects the sense of insecurity of the population, which is as important as the actual crime rates. The advantage of Numbeo is...
  13. Maciamo

Health Cancer maps of Europe

I have made maps showing the death rate from various types of cancer in and around Europe. Some types of cancer are clearly linked to the lifestyle. Lung cancer rates do not only depend on the percentage of smokers, but also on air quality. As you can see here, the Balkans have the worst...
  14. Maciamo

Health Maps of alcohol consumption per capita in Europe

I have expanded the Food & Drink Maps section. I made a map of overall alcohol consumption per capita with the 2010 data from the WHO. At that time Slavic people drank the most. I made a new map with data from 2016 and the trend changed somewhat. Many Slavic countries reduced their...
  15. Maciamo

Society Maps of prevalent negative emotions by country in and around Europe

When comparing countries and cultures, few people think of the fact that the frequency of basic emotions can vary widely depending on the society where one lives. Using Gallup's State of the Global Workplace: 2022 Report I created maps showing the percentage of respondents that felt anger...
  16. Maciamo

Economy New economic maps of Europe

I have been working on a lot of new maps for the Economic & Wealth Maps page of this site. There are now over 50 maps, with more coming soon. The one that took me the longest to make is the GDP per capita at Purchasing Power Standard (PPS) by NUTS2 region. What is interesting here is how...
  17. Maciamo

Crime Map of firearms per 100 people in Europe and gun ownership rates in the U.S.

I have made two new maps. The first one represents the total number of civilian firearms in a country divided by the population. It is not the same as the gun ownership rate (second map), as some individuals own more than one gun. In the USA there are over 120 firearms for 100 people, by the...
  18. Maciamo

Economy Buying a property in Europe: compare the taxes and fees by country

What do you need to know before buying a house or an apartment in Europe, either as a residence or as an investment? The purchasing process and the taxes and fees pertaining to it vary a lot between countries. In countries like Belgium, France and Italy, it is compulsory to pass through a public...
  19. Maciamo

Society New maps of American fast food chains per capita in Europe

I have made four new maps showing the number of American fast food chains per capita in each European country and compared to the United States, India, China and Japan. McDonald's are the most popular in Northern and Western Europe, except in Iceland where the chain withdrew completely from...
  20. Maciamo

Y-DNA frequencies of France updated

I have updated the Y-DNA frequencies of French regions and calculated the percentages for R1b subclades. You can see the updated Y-DNA maps here.
Back