cheese

1. Maciamo

List of cheeses invented over 300 years ago

I recently finished reading Alberto Angela's I tre giorni di Pompei (The [last] three days of Pompeii), in which he mentions that mozzarella didn't exist at the time, but was invented in the 5th century, at the end of the Roman empire. Wikipedia disagrees and says that the earliest buffalo milk...
  2. Jovialis

Evidence of 7,200-year-old cheese making found on the Dalmatian Coast

Cheese seems to be pretty big in archaeology, as of late. :) https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0202807
  3. Jovialis

The surprising role cheese played in human evolution

I recently went to a food and wine tasting event at the new Eataly in downtown Manhattan. The cheese stations were simply amazing, as was all of the food. I bought myself a wheel of this amazing limited edition creamy cheese I sampled there (several times). I forget the name of it, but I believe...
  4. Jovialis

The Ancient Greek Roots of Feta Cheese

As Greece fights to maintain the name of feta cheese as a Protected Designation of Origin (PDI) product, the Real Greek Feta website provides great evidence that the first mention of the famous cheese is as old as Homer’s “Odyssey”. When Odysseus and his men enter the cave of Cyclops...
  5. Carlitos

Andalusian cheeses

Andalusia has a major Cheesemaking Heritage, the result of our climate, soil, vegetation and native breeds. While in oblivion the expertise of our craftsmen, whose way of processing and preserving cultural wealth is passed on from generation to generation until today. This has allowed the...
Back