belgium

1. Maciamo

Nature Belgium becomes first in EU to recognise ecocide as international crime

From the Brussels Times: "Belgium's Federal Parliament approved a completely renewed Penal Code on Thursday evening, which – for the first time in Europe – includes recognition of the crime of ecocide at both the national and international levels. From now on, ecocide is included in the...
  2. Maciamo

Economy Belgian banks threaten to expel Belgians with American nationality

That's not a joke. You read it well. That's what the Belgian economic magazine Trends explains in this article. It concerns mostly accidental Americans, that is foreigners who were born in the US while their parents were working there (usually for a few years as expats) and were automatically...
  3. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Ancient Gaul

I have created a page dedicated the the genetics of ancient Gauls. I calculated the Dodecad K12b average percentages for 16 Gaulish samples and ran them against modern populations in Vahaduo to obtain the closest matches.
  4. Maciamo

Brussels is the most cosmopolitan city in the world after Dubai

I was reading a series of articles in the Francophone Belgian newspaper Le Soir titled Bruxelles Babeleer. I was a bit surprised to learn that Brussels is more cosmopolitan than New York, London or Paris. There are 185 nationalities represented in this city of 1 million inhabitants. As opposed...
  5. Q

Belgian DNA

I wonder if someone could help me put my Ancestry DNA/GEDMatch into contest: before I took the test, I expected the results to come up with a large proportion of German/French DNA and maybe odd bits of Spanish, Dutch and Austrian to account for the many invasions of Belgium over the centuries. I...
  6. M

first time europe traveler age 24

I will be going on birthright in israel and will be extending my trip with a friend. We're both 24. We've both agreed on traveling to italy and amsterdam. Ideas: Rome 2 nights Florence nights (with one day trip to pisa) Amsterdam 4 nights We're having a hard time picking another destination. To...
  7. Maciamo

Politics The Belgian paradox: how low level officials yield key aspects of power

Belgium is generally a fairly good place to live. The country ranks well by international standards on many levels; compulsory education until 18 (highest in the world), high-quality and cheap health care, free motorways, excellent food, reasonably good economy... One of the things that...
  8. Maciamo

Deeper R1b subclade resolution for the Brabant Y-DNA Project (Belgium)

The Brabant DNA Project, with 1000+ members from all Belgium and a few from bordering areas (especially North Brabant in the Netherlands), has re-tested the Y-DNA of all R1b members for the following subclades. - Under U106: Z18, Z381, L48, and U198 - Under P312: L21/M529 and Z195/Z196 - Under...
  9. Maciamo

Politics Work starts at new NATO Headquarters in Brussels

14 years after the Heads of State and Government agreed on its construction, the new NATO Headquarters in Brussels are finally taking shape. The enormous complex will span on 40 hectares (100 acres) and will have a built area of 250,000 m² (2,690,000 ft²). The completion date is due for 2015...
Back