statistics

1. Maciamo

Sustainability Share of electric buses by country in Europe

Air pollution is definitely not something desirable in our cities and vehicles are the main culprit in developed countries. This has been one of the arguments in favour of hybrid and electric vehicles. The other argument is that EV are better for the climate, although I have cast doubt about the...
  2. Maciamo

Crime index from 250 European cities (Numbeo)

Numbeo is a well-known website to compare stats on quality of life, cost of living, property prices, and also the feeling of safety or insecurity of respondents all over the world. You'll find a list of the main European cities by crime index here. I was not satisfied with only 150 cities, so I...
  3. Maciamo

Society How people in developed countries around the world see U.S. society

The Pew Research Center, one of my favourite think tanks, has surveyed people in 17 advanced economies about the strengths and weaknesses of American society. What People Around the World Like – and Dislike – About American Society and Politics It comes as no surprise to me that technology...
  4. Maciamo

Politics Trust in government by country

The OECD has just released the new stats of trust in government. The results are edifying. The Swiss have the most confidence in their leaders (84.6%), which is not surprising considering that Switzerland may be the only direct democracy in the world (at least in some cantons). They are followed...
  5. Maciamo

Economy Most popular car makers by country (with market share)

Travelling in different countries I couldn't help but notice that the brands of cars on the road can vary quite a bit. Obviously people tend to buy more cars from their own country, either for patriotic reasons or because the marketing is better, the cars are designed in accordance with the...
  6. Maciamo

Car rental price comparison by country and city across Europe

I have noticed that the price of car rentals can vary quite a bit between countries and interestingly the GDP per capita or general cost of life does not correlate at all with the price of car rentals. I have used the site CarRentals.com to compare prices in major European cities and capitals...
  7. Maciamo

Society Daily TV watching time by country

I have made a map showing the average time spent watching TV (in minutes) in and around Europe. The data for this map comes from Statista (for Europe), Zenith OptiMedia (for the Middle East) and Ipsos (for Lebanon only). For the sake of comparison, Americans spend 270 minutes per day in front...
  8. Maciamo

Society World Happiness Report 2018

The new World Happiness Report 2018 was published last week. 156 countries were surveyed. The ranking includes a number of factors such as y: GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and perceptions of corruption. Generosity is based on...
  9. Maciamo

Economy Wealth per adult and percentage of millionaires by country

I found an interesting list of countries ranked by median wealth by adult. It is based on a 2016 study by Credit Suisse. It's surprising to see that Americans, Germans and Swedes are poorer in average than Spaniards, Taiwanese or South Koreans. I didn't expect Belgians to rank so high. Median...
  10. Maciamo

Immigration Percentage of population of European descent in Western countries

We have recently discussed what it means for a country to be 'Western', and and whether Latin American countries should be considered Western or not. To answer that second question, it is useful to compare the ethnic make-up of unequivocally Western countries, like Western European countries...
  11. Maciamo

Financial literacy rates around the world

McGraw Hill Financial has just released the results of their Global Financial Literacy Survey, which aims at evaluating people's knowledge of basic financial concepts such as risk diversification, inflation, interests, and compound interests on loans and credit cards. Only about a third of the...
  12. Maciamo

Distribution of HLA-A types by country

I have started a new page listing HLA allele frequencies by country. I have only had time to add HLA-A types so far, but I am planning to add other types too. There are 14 common HLA-A types in Europe. Some geographic patterns are quite obvious for some types. HLA-A1 is found at highest...
  13. Maciamo

Health Children's well-being in 29 Western countries (UNICEF report)

Seven years ago I analysed the UNICEF report on children well-being in rich countries. Here is a new report for 2013, which has eight additional countries. The Netherlands still tops the ranking, followed by Scandinavian countries like before, except Denmark which fell from 3rd to 11th...
  14. Maciamo

Society European university ranking 2013/14

University rankings are conducted by various magazines, newspapers, websites, governments and academics. The three most famous are the Academic Ranking of World Universities (aka ARWU or Shanghai Ranking), the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the QS World University Rankings...
  15. LeBrok

Homicide rate. Saints and Devils of modern Europe.

I just came across interesting stats about homicide rate of european countries. Intentional Homicide Country Police Recorded Cases per 100,000 population Russia 10.2 Moldova 7.5 Lithuania 6.6 Estonia 5.2 Ukraine 5.0 United States 5.0 Belarus 4.9 Georgia 4.3 Albania 4.0 Montenegro 3.5...
  16. Maciamo

Countries with the most millionaires

The Boston Consulting Group has just released a report on the percentage of millionaires in USD in the world. Here are the top 15 countries with the highest densities of millionaires. As you will see this ranking is quite different from the GDP per capita ranking. Singapore, Japan, Israel and...
  17. edao

Economy List of Statistics

Though it might be interesting to post various statistics for: • GDP per capita • Average Wage • Unemployment Rate • Human Development Index There is alot of talk about crisis in Europe, some times its better to stop listening to the talk and look at some hard numbers. :thinking:
  18. LeBrok

Statistics Unleashed

If you love stats you are for a big treat now. I've found amazing dynamic statistics on gapminder.org...
Back