covid-19

1. Maciamo

Covid New studies says Covid lowers IQ and lead to the equivalent of 7 to 20 years of brain aging

If true, that would be terrible news for the world as a whole. Brain fog, poor memory and lower IQ would significantly affect the economy, reduce scientific research, and more generally cause a diminution of well-being and productivity. It could also lead to the election or worse politicians...
  2. Maciamo

Covid SNP identified as doubling risk of lung failure and death from Covid-19

Here is the study. Nature Genetics: Identification of LZTFL1 as a candidate effector gene at a COVID-19 risk locus Abstract The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‑CoV‑2) disease (COVID-19) pandemic has caused millions of deaths worldwide. Genome-wide association studies...
  3. Maciamo

Health The pandemic's true death toll is about 3.5 times higher than official figures

The Economist has been monitoring since last year the gap between official Covid deaths and excess deaths in various countries. They have now compiled statistics for almost every country in the world and a map to show which countries are really more impacted. In Africa the excess deaths are...
  4. Maciamo

Health Anti-vaxxer movement strongest in France

The French like to do things differently from everyone else. In the last few months they have made the headlines around the world for the dogged refusal to get vaccinated against Covid-19. The reasons are varied. Some people believe in the wildest conspiracy theories, claiming that the...
  5. Maciamo

Health Vitamin D supplements protect against coronavirus

As I mentioned at the beginning of the pandemic, one of the few supplements that work in warding off Covid is vitamin D. The Guardian just published an article mentioning several studies (in the UK, Spain and South Korea) that confirm that vitamin D deficiency is linked to a higher mortality...
  6. Maciamo

Covid The science behind Covid-19 - All you need to know

How is Coronavirus spread and how contagious is it? According to the CDC, Covid-19 is transferred by aerosol droplets (microscopic drops from respiration in the air) and stays contagious for about 6 hours on most surfaces. But according to a new meta-analysis of 22 studies human coronaviruses...
  7. Maciamo

Covid Share your coronavirus symptoms

Most of us are going to be infected or already are, so why not compare our symptoms (for people like me who already caught it) and help others recognise the symptoms? I seem to have caught the virus on my way back from Italy nearly 3 weeks ago. I was in the south of the country, where there...
Back