autism

1. Maciamo

Single protein found to trigger most known genes associated with autism

That is big news. That protein could be the main culprit behind autism. Knowing how it works and how to fix imbalances could be the key to curing (at least some types of) autism. Hundreds of autism genes found to be triggered by a single key protein "Despite some exciting recent advances in...
  2. Maciamo

Oxytocin and vasopressin equalises social dominance among primates

Here is a new study on the effects of oxytocin and vasopressin on social behaviour in primates. It had been known for a while that oxytocin increases trust, generosity, and empathy. This study finds that it also equalises social dominance and reduces competitivity among members of a social...
  3. Jovialis

Autism's social deficits are reversed by an anti-cancer drug

Of all the challenges that come with a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), the social difficulties are among the most devastating. Currently, there is no treatment for this primary symptom of ASD. New research at the University at Buffalo reveals the first evidence that it may be...
  4. Jovialis

Researchers Pinpoint Gene Responsible for Autism

A study led by researchers at McMaster University has pinpointed a gene that is responsible for neurodevelopmental disorders, including autism. Researchers found alterations of the gene thousand and one amino-acid kinase 2, known as TAOK2, plays a direct role in these disorders. This is the...
  5. Maciamo

ASD Do some cultures have more Asperger traits ?

I recently found out that I share many traits of characters with Aspies (people who have Asperger's syndrome). This includes being more honest, outspoken, rational, logical, analytical, perfectionist, conscientious or persistent. My mind also seems to work in a similar way. I am not a big fan of...
  6. Maciamo

ASD Can someone have high IQ without having at least some Asperger traits ?

Many if not most great geniuses in history are now thought to have had Asperger syndrome or High-functioning Autism. It all started with Norm Ledgin's book Diagnosing Jefferson, in which the author argues that Jefferson's behaviours matches the five diagnostic criteria for Asperger's: social...
  7. hope

ASD Girls Brains More Resilient?

Autism is less common in girls than boys. Gender difference is seen in disorders such as autism spectrum disorder [ASD] and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder [ADHD] with more males affected than females. In ASD, on average, one female will be affected to every seven males. Now new data...
  8. Twilight

ASD Anxiety and Autism

I have grown up with Anxiety as long as I can remember and tend to get paranoia, Interestingly enough Anxiety tends to overlap with Autism I've been finding though tons of articles and I have been wanting to bring this question up to Eupedia; What causes Anxiety in Autism. Thanks :smile::thinking:
  9. Maciamo

Network of 192 genes identified as underlying cause of autism

This was published two weeks ago in PLOS Genetics: Network Topologies and Convergent Aetiologies Arising from Deletions and Duplications Observed in Individuals with Autism, by Noh et al. Author Summary Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are characterised by impairments in social interaction and...
  10. Maciamo

Personality Individualism, Autism, scientific minds and North European cultures

I stumbled on a list of typical traits of autistic people and I was quite surprised to see how many of them were also typically associated with individualistic cultures from Northern Europe (+ North America, Australia and New Zealand). Many traits are also typical of scientists and...
Back