roman history

1. Maciamo

Debate Alexander the Great vs Julius Caesar: Who was the Greatest Commander in the Ancient World?

Last year, British historian Simon Elliott published a book titled Alexander the Great versus Julius Caesar: Who was the Greatest Commander in the Ancient World? I haven't read the book, but in my opinion the question is very easily settled. Julius Caesar was vastly superior. He won more...
  2. M

J2a-Z435 from BA collapse

If you go to the J2 page on this site, you will learn that most of European J2 may have come from the Roman conquests. The thing is, it descends from a 'recent' clade appeared in historic times, but the subclade in question, Z435, is more recent and comprises a lot of the Euro J2. Concretely...
  3. H

Who were the ancestors of Polish people during the period of the Roman Empire?

Talking about the period of 27 BC-395 AD, who were the ancestors of Polish people? Or is it too far long ago for there to be a definite answer?
  4. Maciamo

Optimates vs Populares in Julius Caesar's time

The Roman Republic saw numerous conflict of the orders between patricians (aristocrats) and plebeians (commoners), which was settled by the creation of the office of Tribune of the plebs, an elected magistrate who had the power to veto the actions of the consuls and other magistrates in order to...
  5. M

The 2000 year cycle of Civilization?

Societies take a relatively long time to develop, and the civilization we live in is the product of Thousands of years of development. In which a lot of things, many times difficult, and to some extent bad happens. Many other times, by the way, this may be good. But there already some patterns...
  6. Jovialis

Films & Series I, Caesar: The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (1997)

I remember seeing this documentary on TV a long time ago. This is the first episode, however I didn't know there were five more. I am watching them on Amazon Prime. I like these older documentaries, they have a certain panache to them.
  7. Maciamo

Gallic Wars : list of legates and other staff officers in Julius Caesar's army

I am currently reading the book series Marius' Mules about the Gallic Wars (first 9 volumes, one book per year) and the Civil War between Caesar and Pompey. It is historical fiction, but written based on Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Caesar's book is notoriously tedious to read and...
  8. Maciamo

Facial reconstructions of famous Roman consuls of the Late Republic

I found this on this site. Tiberius and Caius Gracchus Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Gaius Marius Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix Marcus Porcius Cato the Elder Pompey the Great Marcus Licinius Crassus Gaius Julius Caesar Marcus Antonius Marcus Junius Bruttus...
  9. Maciamo

Photo-real portraits of Roman emperors

Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, Daniel Voshart have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285...
  10. Maciamo

MyTrueAncestry MyTrueAncestry - closest modern countries to ancient ethnicities

This thread is dedicated to comparing the the closest results of people from various European countries and regions to specific ancient archaeological cultures (e.g. Corded Ware, Unetice, Nordic Bronze Age, Villanovan, Hallstatt) or specific unmixed ethnic groups (Romans, Gauls, Franks, Saxons...
  11. Maciamo

Identifying the Y-DNA haplogroups of ancient Roman families through their descendants

I have embarked on an ambitious project: attempting to determine the haplogroups of ancient Roman gentes based on the modern European surnames that belong to ancient Latin haplogroups. It may seem like an impossible quest because there is no guarantee that any ancient Roman surname survives to...
  12. Maciamo

Most prominent Roman families (gentes) in history

I have made a table listing all the Roman gentes who held at least 2 magistracies during the Republic. I also listed the number of consulships, dividing the stats for the Republic and Empire, and the number of dictators and emperors. Please let me know if you spot any error or if you have...
  13. Maciamo

Worst military defeats in Roman history

Here is the summary of the worst military debacles suffered by the Romans during over 1000 years of history from the beginning of the Republic to the end of the Western Roman Empire. In chronological order: Battle of Heraclea (280 BCE) Type of battle : pitched battle Belligerents Roman...
  14. Jovialis

Shrine of Romulus?

Italian archaeologists unveiled to the press Friday an exciting new find from the Roman Forum, which they say could be the lost shrine dedicated some 2,600 years ago to Romulus, Rome's legendary founder and first king. https://phys.org/news/2020-02-roman-forum-shrine-rome-founder.html
  15. Maciamo

Analysing Iron Age Italian samples

The Antonio et al. (2019) paper on Ancient Rome was released 2 and a half months ago, so I am coming a bit late for the analysis, but I had been busy before. Using the Dodecad K12b data provided by Jovialis, I created a table of the 11 Iron Age samples from this study. ID Date Y-DNA...
  16. Jovialis

Ancient Rome Test (Various Calculators)

//////////////////CREDITS////////////////// Created by Jovialis January 8, 2020 Programs used: WGS Extract: http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3018 Admixturestudio v2.48: https://dnagenics.com/admixture-studio/ Sources: Samples from Antonio M. et al 2019...
  17. Jovialis

Antonio M. et al 2019 - Iron Age Samples Raw Data

Here are the Iron Age samples from Ancient Rome: A genetic crossroads of Europe and the Mediterranean I used WGS extract to "convert" the files from BAM to usable raw data, in WGS combined, as well as AncestryDNA format...
  18. Jovialis

Roman bronze cauldron unearthed in central Norway burial cairn

Sometime around 150-300 CE a person died at the place now called Gylland in the Gaula River valley, in southern Trøndelag county. After the body was cremated, the remains were laid in a bronze vessel. This was then covered or wrapped in birch bark before being buried under several hundred kilos...
  19. Maciamo

Italian surnames inherited from ancient Romans

I was wondering if any of the ancient Roman patrician and plebeian families still had descendants carrying their surnames today. I went to Cognomix, and searched for what the modern surnames would sound like without the -us ending. It turns out that not only most of the famous ancient surnames...
  20. Maciamo

Who were the best and worst Roman emperors?

Rome has a long and fascinating history. The Roman Empire would more accurately be described as the Principate (from 27 BCE to 284 CE) and the Dominate (from Diocletian's Tetrarchy). There were 71 emperors and co-regents from Augustus to Theodosius, who definitively split the empire in eastern...
Back