hallstatt

1. Jovialis

La Tène Culture to Model Ancient & Modern Italians

https://www.worldhistory.org/image/14458/map-of-la-tene-culture/ Much praise to Maciamo for processing the Paterson et al. 2021 samples, and sharing them with me. I will include them in an update of the Individual samples for the aDNA catalog for Dodecad K12b. I have included La Tène, and...
  2. Jovialis

Child Labor at the Hallstatt Salt Mines

VIENNA, AUSTRIA—According to a report in Nature, scientists have been looking for evidence of child labor in the archaeological record. Hans Reschreiter of the Natural History Museum of Vienna said that a child-sized leather cap dated to between 1000 and 1300 B.C. and very small mining picks...
  3. Jovialis

Salt of the Alps: ancient Hallstatt mine holds Bronze Age secrets

All mines need regular reinforcement against collapse, and Hallstatt, the world's oldest salt mine perched in the Austrian Alps, is no exception. But Hallstatt isn't like other mines. Exploited for 7,000 years, the mine has yielded not only a steady supply of salt but also archaeological...
  4. Maciamo

Was E-V13 a major lineage of Hallstatt Celts and Italics?

The distribution and origins of E-V13 are one of the most perplexing of any haplogroups. Over the years people have hypothesised that it originated with ancient Greeks, Neolithic farmers, Balkans people, Steppe people, Romans, Celts, Indo-Europeans in general or whatever imaginable scenario...
  5. PaterKeklos

G2a3b1a (G-l497): Did the mutation first appear in the PIE homeland area or in Europe

I've seen conflicting reports about this. We know the age of the mutation to correspond with the timeline of the PIE invasion of Central Europe. We know it is one of the few haplogroup G2a clades to be found in Scandinavia. It very clearly appears to be tied to the PIE invasion and very...
  6. Maciamo

New map of Y-gaplogroup G2a-L497

This clade was found in the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture (as I had predicted), which explains the hotspot around Moldova. G2a-L497 (or actually its Z1816 subclade) was probably assimilated by the R1b-U152 Proto-Italo-Celts before moving to the Alps. Not only is there a strong geographic...
  7. Maciamo

Map of Hallstatt and La Tène expansions

I have made a new map showing the spread of the Hallstatt and La Tène cultures from the Late Bronze Age to the Late Iron Age. There were already maps on Wikipedia but some lacked accuracy, others didn't show the modern borders or cut out Eastern Europe and Anatolia. I have also updated the...
Back