scotland

1. F

What are the ethnic patterns of Scottish Y DNA?

So I was recently reading a bit about the archeology of the material culture in western Scotland that debunks the idea of an Irish invasion, and it got me thinking. What migration patterns would you expect of the 4 "main" ethnic groups that amalgamated to form the modern day Scots on a tool like...
  2. Maciamo

Genome-wide genetic analysis of ancient Britons through the ages

After Gaul, Italy, Iberia and Germanic tribes, here are the Dodecad K12b ancient British people from the Neolithic to the Late Bronze Age. I have calculated the average values (modal) for each period. I then compared these modals to modern populations using Vahaduo.
  3. Maciamo

Y-DNA haplogroups of Scottish clans

In the last few days I have worked on finding the haplogroups of the clan chiefs of Scottish clans. Almost all of them have extensive surname DNA projects, so it was easy in most cases. The list includes most of the peerage of Scotland from Viscount to Duke. Highland clans belonging to R1b-L21...
  4. Jovialis

Scotland’s Neolithic Rock Art Mapped

Perhaps traveling the coast must have been safer and faster than traveling by land. Plus circumnavigating the coast is straight forward, where as it would be easier to get lost traversing the wooded interior.
  5. Jovialis

Scotland: Dun Deardail the ‘melted’ Iron Age fort

Archaeologists have made a breakthrough in solving the ancient mystery surrounding an Iron Age fort in the Highlands that was burned at such high temperatures that parts of it melted. Over the years, a number of experiments have been carried out at Dun Deardail in Glen Nevis to establish how...
  6. B

CAMERON's INITIAL BIG Y ANALYSIS

As a result of additional information now showing on the Ytree.net in the MC14 SNP area, more details are now showing - which have enabled me to make an initial BIG Y analysis - to help us sort out which Cameron "stall" on the Ytree.net is which Cameron sub-clan branch. I have put a...
  7. J

Pictish matrilineality, mtDNA, and the megalithic substrate of the language

Firstly, this is such a crossover post I'm not sure this is where it belongs — this is my first post here. I've been wondering about the Picts today in an ongoing curiosity around surviving Celtic languages and their level of antiquity or connection to the early continental Celtic languages. I...
  8. Maciamo

Neolithic Orcadians roasted rodents to eat

BBC News: Stone Age people 'roasted rodents for food' - archaeologists "Rodents appear to have been roasted for food by Stone Age people as early as 5,000 years ago, archaeological evidence suggests. Bones from archaeological sites in Orkney show voles were cooked or boiled for food, or...
  9. Maciamo

British PM William Gladstone belonged to R1b-L21

According to the Gladstone DNA Project, the lineage of the famous Victorian British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898) belongs to R1b-L21. Indeed, his genealogy can be traced back to James Gledstanes who died in 1493 in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Gladstone is considered by some one...
  10. Maciamo

Philosopher David Hume belonged to Y-haplogroup R1a-L448

Looking into the Home/Hume DNA Project I managed to identify the ancestral lineage of the great Scottish philosopher, historian and economist David Hume (1711-1776). His genealogy shows that he is descended from Thomas Home of Home (1355-1427), and ultimately from William Dominus de Home, Laird...
  11. Maciamo

Half of the people with the surname Stuart or Stewart descend from royalty

According to the genetic genealogy testing company BritainsDNA, about 50% of the 70,000 people who carry the surname Stuart or Stewart in the UK or Ireland descend from the Royal House of Stewart. The company tested the descendants of James Stewart, 5th High Steward of Scotland (c.1243-1309)...
  12. Maciamo

New & updated guides to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England

This summer has seen a considerable expansion of the travel section for the UK and Ireland. I have just inaugurated today the new Ireland Travel Guide. No detailed description pages so far, just a list of everything to see in the country (+ Northern Ireland) with plenty of photos. There are...
  13. Michael Folkesson

Politics [UK] Scottish referendum on independence

With the strong support of the SNP and First Minister Alex Salmond's promise, it seems as if there will be a Scottish referendum on independence in the autumn of 2014. Has devolution in the UK gone too far, or not far enough? - The Scottish, English and Welsh might belong to different...
  14. B

Scots, how Celtic are they?

So i was wondering, based on studies of Haplogroups, is there anyway to determine how Celtic Scotland is? Does anyone have information on this please?
  15. edao

Cancer Scientists make cancer cells vanish

Scottish scientists have made cancer tumours vanish within 10 days by sending DNA to seek and destroy the cells.
Back