goths

1. J

R1a-Z284

Does anybody know if R1a-Z284 has ever been found in a member of the Chernyakhov culture?
  2. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Anglo-Saxon, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes. In short, Lombards and...
  3. Maciamo

Do the Mordvins, Chuvash and Tatars descend from Carpathian Goths ?

In the thread about the distribution of R1b-Z2103, I started analysing the Y-DNA data from the new Trofimova et al. 2015 paper in Russian (English summary here). I noticed that the Volga-Ural ethnic groups could be divided in four categories: 1) Uralic speakers with over 50% of Uralic Y-DNA...
  4. Maciamo

New map of YDNA haplogroup R1a-CTS1211 (aka M558 or Y93)

Following the new map of R1a-M458, here is the map of R1a-CTS1211 (aka M558 or Y93). The distribution is more exclusively Balto-Slavic than M458, although the Czechs have very little of it. Note that about half of all R1a in Italy, south-west France and Spain is CTS1211, meaning that it was...
  5. Maciamo

Estimating Germanic Y-DNA in Iberia

Spain and Portugal are fairly well studied countries for Y-chromosomal lineages. Unfortunately no study so far has tested for the Germanic S21/U106 subclade of R1b, and few papers even distinguish subclades of I (those who did only tested for I2a1a-M26). I have analysed the raw data from Adams...
  6. Maciamo

Distribution of I1 in Italy (Boattini et al.)

Haplogroup I1 is a marker of Germanic migrations to Italy. The Ostrogoths, Vandals, Lombards, Franks and Normans all left some I1 lineages behind them. The distribution of I1 is fairly homogeneous all over Italy, usually ranging from 1 to 5%. I had a look at the new study by Boattini et al. to...
  7. onslo

Norman haplogroup I1, SNP M253+( the most neglected SNP )

I1 is indigenous to Europe , the direct descendant of Cro-Magnon. Germanic branch of R1b1b2 moved north and mixed with indigenous I1 . Hybrid Germanic tribe retained highest percentage if I Haplogroup. Germanic language assimilated large part of I1? Is SNP M253+, with all other following SNPs...
  8. Maciamo

Were the Goths related to the Scythians or Cimmerians ?

Before settling into the Roman Empire from the 4th century onwards, the Goths had migrated from Sweden to East Germany, Poland, then established themselves for a while around modern Moldova and Ukraine. While looking at pictures of various Bronze-age and Iron-age artefacts, I was startled by...
Back