democracy

1. Maciamo

Politics Most Americans have very negative views of U.S. politics

The US-based Pew Research Center published a new report named Americans’ Dismal Views of the Nation’s Politics. The nationwide survey found that 65% of Americans say they always or often feel exhausted when thinking about politics. 89% were angry about politics these days, while only 10% were...
  2. Maciamo

Economy The USA looks like a developing country in many ways. Here is why.

I have been meaning to start a thread like this for many years. I thought it might be too provocative, but I see how many Americans themselves are dissatisfied with their own country and the situation seems to be getting constantly worse. To many outside observers it has been clear for quite...
  3. Maciamo

Politics New maps of public opinion in the EU (based on Eurobarometer surveys)

I have created 9 new maps based on the EU Commission's Eurobarometer poll results for Autumn 2019. I will compare them with other maps I made earlier. Democracy This map shows the percentage of the population that is satisfied with the way democracy works in their country at the moment (well...
  4. Maciamo

Politics Belarus on the verge of pro-democracy revolution

Tens of thousands of protesters have taken to the street in Belarus after the rigged presidential election confirmed a renewed presidential term for dictator Alexander Lukashenko, who has been in power since 1994. BBC News: Belarus protests: 'We can breathe for the first time in our lives' Six...
  5. Maciamo

Politics How GDP per capita can influence the stability of a democracy

Adam Przeworski, a Polish-American professor of political science at New York University, has written several papers and books regarding the relationship between economic prosperity and the stability of democratic regimes. He was able to calculate the life expectancy of a democracy based on...
  6. edao

Politics Does democracy work?

Do you think democracy works? Lets take the UK 2010 elections. info If we ignore the individual political parties but instead split the vote in a left wing / right wing way. Right Wing Conservatives - share of the vote 36.1% Left Wing/Centre Left Labour - share of the vote 29% Lib dems -...
  7. edao

Can Arab nations live in a democracy?

With the fall of dictators all over the Arab world, do you think Arab culture is capable of running a democracy? Should western nations stop trying to empose their values and cultural templates onto people from different cultures?
  8. edao

George W. Bush a great man?

With potential democratic revolution sweeping across the arab world is Gerorge W. Bush to thank? Would any of this have been possible without the war in Iraq and the fall of Sadam Hussain?
Back