japan

1. Maciamo

Economy Chinese EV are bad news for European and Japanese car makers

German and Japanese car makers are quickly losing market share in China. This appears inevitable Chinese car makers can produce cheaper electric cars that are as good or better than any others. German car makers have also been too slow to adapt to the EV market, trying to prolong the life of the...
  2. Maciamo

Economy Countries that do not use credit scores (e.g. for credit cards)

Over 10 years ago I wrote an article called What differentiates Europeans from Americans: the cultural gap across the Atlantic. I last updated it 5 years ago to add some more differences I had forgotten. One thing I did not mention, as it's not strictly speaking a difference between the US and...
  3. Maciamo

Economy Personal income tax rates by country (Europe, USA, Israel and Japan)

Tax rates vary hugely between countries. When it comes to personal income tax, some countries have flat rates regardless of income size, while others have progressive rates. But while some progressive rates start from 0%, others start much higher (like in Belgium, from 25%). Some countries have...
  4. Maciamo

Economy Gap between GDP per capita and actual salaries

GDP per capita is often used as a proxy to determine how much people earn in average in a country. In many cases it can be a relatively good approximation, but sometimes it's completely wrong. This is because the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is a measure of all the money produced in a country...
  5. Maciamo

All Japanese emperors and shōguns and most daimyō shared the same Y-DNA lineage

We found out last year that the Emperors of Japan probably belonged to haplogroup D1b1a2 based on the tests of various descendants. Another presumed descendant of the imperial family tested at Family Tree DNA and also belonged to that haplogroup, and more precisely to the D-Z1504 subclade. A...
  6. Maciamo

South Asian admixture in Japanese people

I noticed that many Japanese people score between 0.5% and 2% of South Asian admixture in various calculators, including Dodecad K12 and K12b and HarappaWorld K16. I thought at first that it might be a misattribution of very ancient admixture linked to Y-haplogroups C and D, but I recently saw...
  7. Maciamo

New map of Y-DNA haplogroups in East Asia

I have considerably expanded my Genetic history of the Japanese, and added regional frequencies in Japan and in neighbouring populations. The Y-DNA data is still too scare to make fine-scale distribution maps by haplogroup, but this map with pie charts should help visualise the bigger picture.
  8. N

Pairing paternal haplogroups of Japan and Europe-- O and D/R and I...

As we've seen on Eupedia, there has been a natural rivalry between hg. R and I, but for some reason we don't see a similiar conversation involving the Japanese revolving around y-hg. O and D. This is intriguing to me because in Japan blood typing is almost a national obsession. Has DNA...
  9. edao

Paris Syndrome

'Paris Syndrome' strikes Japanese "That is what some polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations. The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown." source
  10. L

Japan: Tsunami kills hundreds after largest recorded quake

Japan: Tsunami kills hundreds after largest recorded quake By REUTERS AND JPOST.COM STAFF 03/11/2011 17:48 Thousands evacuated near nuclear plant; Foreign Ministry says 25 Israelis missing, issues travel warning; 4.4m. without power; 300 bodies reportedly found in coastal city of Sendai; fires...
Back