bronze age

1. Anfänger

Admixture history and endogamy in the prehistoric Aegean

Ancient DNA reveals admixture history and endogamy in the prehistoric Aegean Abstract The Neolithic and Bronze Ages were highly transformative periods for the genetic history of Europe but for the Aegean—a region fundamental to Europe’s prehistory—the biological dimensions of cultural...
  2. Z

Formation of New Settlements and Tribes during the Neolithic and Bronze Age

I'm trying to understand how populations spread during the Neolithic and Bronze age. Are there any estimates on the average time it would take for some of the inhabitants of one settlement( i.e. a hamlet or village) from the time of its foundation to leave and found a new second settlement along...
  3. Anfänger

Homer in the Bronze Age? New evidence from Mycenaean Greece

Mycenaean-era tablet opens new avenues for studying Homer and Greek Classics. A newly discovered Linear B tablet from the Peloponnesian site of Agios Vasileios (Sparti) constitutes the “smoking-gun” of the fact that Homeric poetry was known (and written!) in the second millennium BCE...
  4. M

Did Milk help the Indo-European expansion?

We know that Paleolithic and Neolithic Western Europeans were lactose intolerant, as well as many Eastern Europeans who were not R1. But an study showed that among Yamnayas, for example, 94% were clearly milk drinkers. It's already well studied that the key to their success came from the...
  5. Anfänger

The origins of domestic horses

The origins and spread of domestic horses from the Western Eurasian steppes Abstract Domestication of horses fundamentally transformed long-range mobility and warfare1. However, modern domesticated breeds do not descend from the earliest domestic horse lineage associated with archaeological...
  6. Jovialis

1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed: Revised and Updated

I placed my pre-order for the updated edition of Eric Cline's book, 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed The book will be released on February 2, 2021.
  7. Anfänger

Lactase Persistence Over the Last 3,000 Years

Genomic Data from an Ancient European Battlefield Indicates On-Going Strong Selection on a Genomic Region Associated with Lactase Persistence Over the Last 3,000 Years Abstract Lactase persistence (LP), the continued expression of lactase into adulthood, is the most strongly selected single...
  8. Maciamo

MyTrueAncestry - closest modern countries to ancient ethnicities

This thread is dedicated to comparing the the closest results of people from various European countries and regions to specific ancient archaeological cultures (e.g. Corded Ware, Unetice, Nordic Bronze Age, Villanovan, Hallstatt) or specific unmixed ethnic groups (Romans, Gauls, Franks, Saxons...
  9. Jovialis

Interview: The Mysterious Bronze Age Collapse with Eric Cline

The decline of the Late Bronze Age civilizations of the Mediterranean and Near East has puzzled historians and archaeologists for centuries. While many have ascribed the collapse of several civilizations to the enigmatic Sea Peoples, Professor Eric H. Cline, former Chair of the Department of...
  10. T

Hurro-Urartian as a sister to Indo-European

Hurro-Urartian (HU) is a now extinct language family that was spoken in the Bronze Age/Iron Age Near East that consisted of two distinct languages: Hurrian and Urartian. Some compelling evidence has linked a third language, Kassite, to the HU family, but this relationship is uncertain...
  11. T

Nerkin and Verin Naver--Indo-European EMBA Burial Complexes in Armenia

Nerkin and Verin Naver, meaning lower and upper graves, respectively, are two burial complexes located just outside of Ashtarak, Armenia, a short distance north of the capital city of Yerevan. These complexes date to the end of the Early Bronze Age to the Middle Bronze Age, specifically from...
  12. T

Could Armenians have been in Armi/Armani

Hi, long-time lurker but this is my first post on Eupedia. I hope that it is okay for me to post in this forum (I couldn't create a new thread in Anthropology & Ethnography, but I looked at some of the posts in this forum and it seemed like it could be appropriate for me to post here instead)...
  13. Jovialis

Bronze to Iron Age Iranian Graves Discovered

Archaeological excavations in a village in Isfahan province have led to the discovery of 12 graves, and remnants of the Bronze to Iron ages, grey pottery, and stone and agate beads. One of the excavation supervisors said the third stage of the explorations at Josheqan-e Estark village in the...
  14. Maciamo

Heatwave reveals England's lost prehistoric sites

The heatwave this summer has been a boon for archaeologists. BBC News: Heatwave reveals England's lost prehistoric sites "The heatwave has continued to reveal details of England's ancient past to archaeologists. Surveys from the air have revealed Neolithic ceremonial monuments, Iron Age...
  15. Jovialis

Bronze Age burial mound in south west England

An ANU archaeologist has hailed her excavation of a Bronze Age burial mound in south west England a huge success with the discovery of an intact 4,000 year old human cremation as well as evidence of unaccountable activity from the medieval period on the same site. Dr. Catherine Frieman recently...
  16. Jovialis

Cycladic Bronze-Age: Unusually Sophisticated Prehistoric Monuments & Technology Found

Cycladic Bronze-Age: Unusually Sophisticated Prehistoric Monuments & Technology Found Here's the press release by Cambridge University: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/unusually-sophisticated-prehistoric-monuments-and-technology-revealed-in-the-heart-of-the-aegean "While excavating an...
  17. Maciamo

J2b as an IE lineages of the ancient Illyrians & Mycenaeans

The new paper on the Genomic History of Southeastern Europe by Mathieson et al. identified the first ancient J2b2 sample in Europe. This sample was found in Middle Bronze Age southern Croatia, at Veliki Vanik and dates from 1700-1500 BCE. It has been proposed by archeologists that the...
  18. B

The Population Genomics Of Archaeological Transition In West Iberia

now also West-Iberian DNA http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/10/134254 after a long dry period, it is raining new publications today it will take me some time to digest
  19. Maciamo

Revised and improved prehistoric migration maps

I have updated, corrected and improved most of the Neolithic and Bronze Age migrations maps. This includes adding new cultures, including minor ones, refining the boundaries, reworking the colours, and updating the haplogroup estimations for each culture. I have also split the map for the period...
  20. LeBrok

Were all Corded Ware groups the same people?

I have many samples and I can say that their admixture levels are quite varied, but it is hard to get a handle on any visible pattern. For example to look at a level of admixture and tell what area of CW they belong to. It is quite a daunting task. Perhaps they were the same group, same...
Back