ancient rome

1. Maciamo

Optimates vs Populares in Julius Caesar's time

The Roman Republic saw numerous conflict of the orders between patricians (aristocrats) and plebeians (commoners), which was settled by the creation of the office of Tribune of the plebs, an elected magistrate who had the power to veto the actions of the consuls and other magistrates in order to...
  2. Maciamo

Genetic study Ancient DNA of Roman Danubian Frontier and Slavic Migrations (Olalde 2021)

Here is the preprint of the new Reich lab paper Cosmopolitanism at the Roman Danubian Frontier, Slavic Migrations, and the Genomic Formation of Modern Balkan Peoples I have summarised the Y-DNA and mtDNA on this table. ID Location Date Y-DNA mtDNA I15527 Viminacium, Pecine Necropolis...
  3. Maciamo

Gallic Wars : list of legates and other staff officers in Julius Caesar's army

I am currently reading the book series Marius' Mules about the Gallic Wars (first 9 volumes, one book per year) and the Civil War between Caesar and Pompey. It is historical fiction, but written based on Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Caesar's book is notoriously tedious to read and...
  4. Maciamo

Photo-real portraits of Roman emperors

Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, Daniel Voshart have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285...
  5. Maciamo

Identifying the Y-DNA haplogroups of ancient Roman families through their descendants

I have embarked on an ambitious project: attempting to determine the haplogroups of ancient Roman gentes based on the modern European surnames that belong to ancient Latin haplogroups. It may seem like an impossible quest because there is no guarantee that any ancient Roman surname survives to...
  6. Maciamo

Most prominent Roman families (gentes) in history

I have made a table listing all the Roman gentes who held at least 2 magistracies during the Republic. I also listed the number of consulships, dividing the stats for the Republic and Empire, and the number of dictators and emperors. Please let me know if you spot any error or if you have...
  7. Maciamo

Analysing Iron Age Italian samples

The Antonio et al. (2019) paper on Ancient Rome was released 2 and a half months ago, so I am coming a bit late for the analysis, but I had been busy before. Using the Dodecad K12b data provided by Jovialis, I created a table of the 11 Iron Age samples from this study. ID Date Y-DNA...
  8. Maciamo

Italian surnames inherited from ancient Romans

I was wondering if any of the ancient Roman patrician and plebeian families still had descendants carrying their surnames today. I went to Cognomix, and searched for what the modern surnames would sound like without the -us ending. It turns out that not only most of the famous ancient surnames...
  9. Maciamo

Who were the best and worst Roman emperors?

Rome has a long and fascinating history. The Roman Empire would more accurately be described as the Principate (from 27 BCE to 284 CE) and the Dominate (from Diocletian's Tetrarchy). There were 71 emperors and co-regents from Augustus to Theodosius, who definitively split the empire in eastern...
  10. Maciamo

Gold-covered equestrian bronze statue found in Roman town in Germany

After a very modern-looking shoe, here is another amazing find from a Roman settlement near Frankfurt. National Geographic: This Golden Head Adds a Twist to Ancient Roman History "After nearly a decade of legal wrangling, a piece of ancient Roman sculpture worth almost U.S. $2 million has...
  11. Jovialis

Ancient Roman Roads in Italy Transformed Into Modern Subway Map

https://mymodernmet.com/ancient-rome-roads-subway-map/ Click on the link to get a better view of the image, as this one is automatically re-sized sometimes.
  12. Jovialis

Be one of the first to see this unique ancient Roman tomb

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/12/05/ancient-tomb-rome-open/ Following an extensive restoration, Rome’s Barberini Tomb is officially open to the public for the first time in its history. The two-story monument dates back to the second century BC and can be found along what remains of...
Back