genetics

1. R

Classify me

Hi, I’m new to this forum. Please classify me. I can share my DNA results afterwards. Thanks. https://ibb.co/jW0JbSr https://ibb.co/YTbYWgZ https://ibb.co/NpR9xVH https://ibb.co/kJVYfgr https://ibb.co/ZGLhvCf
  2. Maciamo

Breakdown of R1b subclades by French region

I have calculated the frequency of each of the main R1b clade in every region of France last year in order to update the R1b maps. I used Nevgen to determine the subclades of samples from FTDNA that were not confirmed by SNP testing. It seems that I forgot to post the table with the results, so...
  3. T

A Novice in Genetics and DNA Testing Has Some Questions

So I tested my DNA with LivingDNA and got my results. Now I want to know what I can do with those results. I'm very interested in exploring my ancestry and history of my lineages. I will ask some questions and hopefully someone out there is able to answer them. Keep in mind that I am a complete...
  4. Z

Pre-Historic Population Size

After thinking about the genetic pre history of Europe, a question came to mind and I'm curious if anyone here knows. Is there any estimates on the population size of certain key periods in Europe's pre-history from archaeologists or geneticists. In particular I'm wondering how many farmers left...
  5. Archetype0ne

Genomic and isotopic studies shed light into the mobility of medieval individuals CE

Courtesy of Waldermar, Polish-Pomeranian member over at Anthrogenica. I found the similarity maps reminiscent of a Lazaridis paper. Also quite interesting, confirming some suspicions I have held. On whether all the samples are Slavic he replied: "In Radom, Grodowice and Detkovice, most...
  6. D

Database for ancient DNA comparison ab. 200'000 SNPs

Hi there, I succeeded in sequencing ancient autosomal DNA from a far relative, with a result of about 200'000 SNPs. But neither GEDMatch or other database accept this upload because they need almost 500k SNPs... Does someone know if there are worldwide databases to make random comparisons...
  7. Maciamo

Covid SNP identified as doubling risk of lung failure and death from Covid-19

Here is the study. Nature Genetics: Identification of LZTFL1 as a candidate effector gene at a COVID-19 risk locus Abstract The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‑CoV‑2) disease (COVID-19) pandemic has caused millions of deaths worldwide. Genome-wide association studies...
  8. Archetype0ne

The brain sensor discovery behind humans getting taller

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59140359 This new study, published in Nature, and led by researchers from the University of Cambridge alongside teams from Queen Mary University of London, University of Bristol, University of Michigan and Vanderbilt University, has discovered the brain receptor...
  9. Maciamo

Selection of my most popular forum topics

Genetics Percentage of genetic similarity between humans and animals Genetic inheritance: why people can be closer to one parent than the other genetically How adventurers, outcasts and remainers shape the evolution of society Are humans genetically programmed to live in hierarchical...
  10. Maciamo

K36 charts and maps of Etruscan samples

The study on ancient Etruscan DNA by Posth et al. 2021 showed that three Etruscan individuals were genetically closer to modern Northwest Europeans. Intrigued I checked their percentage of similarities with modern European populations using Eurogenes K36 and the map tool made by Jerome Hamon...
  11. Maciamo

Ragnar Lothbrok's dynasty may well have belonged to haplogroup R1a-Z284

I have checked Ragnar Lothbrok's genealogy to find if he had male line descendants to this day. It would not be surprising considering that he had eight sons and they became powerful rulers of their own. The main issue is that the genealogy is disputed. If enough Y-DNA lines survived, it would...
  12. Archetype0ne

Looking for Autosomal Analysis Services: ideal diets, health risks etc.

Basically title. Has anyone used any of these services. I mainly wanted to get back in a Ketogenic diet, however being vegetarian in my country, trying to accommodate both is going to be really challenging. So before I do anything that drastic, I wanted to use my Autosomal file for...
  13. Maciamo

Introducing two DNA testing companies: tellmeGen and Atlas BioMed

There are two DNA testing companies founded over 5 years ago but that haven't made much noise in the pop gen community yet. Nevertheless they do look interesting. The first one is tellmeGen, a Spanish company based in Valencia offering both ancestry and health tests. Their website is available...
  14. Maciamo

Evolution of genetic admixtures by region

The work on the K12b admixture by historical culture gave me the idea to show the evolution of genetic admixtures over time by region. I have started with the Near East and East Mediterranean.
  15. Maciamo

Eupedia Ancient Ethnicities Checker: reliably compare your DNA to ancient populations

I have spent most of the last week calculating the the average values for the K12b admixtures for most of the ancient genomes tested to date. I thank Jovialis for providing me the genomes converted in the right format to run the K12b on Admixture-Studio. You will find the table in the page...
  16. Maciamo

Genome-wide genetic analysis of ancient Britons through the ages

After Gaul, Italy, Iberia and Germanic tribes, here are the Dodecad K12b ancient British people from the Neolithic to the Late Bronze Age. I have calculated the average values (modal) for each period. I then compared these modals to modern populations using Vahaduo.
  17. Maciamo

Genome-wide genetic analysis of Iberians from the Neolithic to the Early Middle Ages

I have written a Genetic analysis of Ancient Iberia, in which I ran the Dodecad K12b admixtures for most of the good quality samples from the Neolithic to the Early Middle Ages and computed average values (a modal) by era. I then compared these modals to modern populations using Vahaduo.
  18. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Anglo-Saxon, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes. In short, Lombards and...
  19. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Ancient Gaul

I have created a page dedicated the the genetics of ancient Gauls. I calculated the Dodecad K12b average percentages for 16 Gaulish samples and ran them against modern populations in Vahaduo to obtain the closest matches.
  20. Maciamo

Get your results from all ethnicity composition calculators with Admixture Studio

There are plenty of calculators of ancient and modern ancestry on the Web: Dodecad, Eurogenes, MDLP, GedrosiaDNA, Harappa, LM Genetics, Mephisto, Tolan, etc. An easy way to obtain run all these calculators for your genomes is to download Admixture Studio. Unzip the file, run...
Back