norway

1. Jovialis

Roman bronze cauldron unearthed in central Norway burial cairn

Sometime around 150-300 CE a person died at the place now called Gylland in the Gaula River valley, in southern Trøndelag county. After the body was cremated, the remains were laid in a bronze vessel. This was then covered or wrapped in birch bark before being buried under several hundred kilos...
  2. Jovialis

Arabic-Inspired Chess Piece found in Norway

Archaeologists from the Norwegian Institute of Cultural Heritage Research (NIKU) found the small medieval chess piece before Christmas during an excavation in Anders Madsens gate in Tønsberg. Tønsberg is Norway’s oldest city and excavations there are followed closely by historians and...
  3. Jovialis

Over 2000 artifacts Discovered in Norway; Chronology of Reindeer Hunting

The chronology of reindeer hunting on Norway's highest ice patches Abstract The melting of perennial ice patches globally is uncovering a fragile record of alpine activity, especially hunting and the use of mountain passes. When rescued by systematic fieldwork (glacial archaeology), this...
  4. Maciamo

An analysis of Scandinavian Y-DNA

I have just updated the Y-DNA frequencies for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The sample sizes are now respectively 613, 1323 and 2826, including the FTDNA projects for each country. I didn't use the data from the Scandinavian DNA Project and the Viking DNA Project as I didn't feel like checking for...
  5. N

R1b question...

I don't know much about the more specific lines of R1b. Would one of the experts know what this means... R1b1a2a1a1b4 One site says this is L238 and another indicates L21-M529-S145-L459 which seems like a bit of a distance both genetically and geographically. Any help is appreciated.
Back