politics

1. Maciamo

Politics Most Americans have very negative views of U.S. politics

The US-based Pew Research Center published a new report named Americans’ Dismal Views of the Nation’s Politics. The nationwide survey found that 65% of Americans say they always or often feel exhausted when thinking about politics. 89% were angry about politics these days, while only 10% were...
  2. Coriolan

Politics Redesigning the borders of Europe and the Middle East

I was wondering what Europe would look like if the various separatist movements had their way. I checked the list of active separatist movements in Europe and selected only the regions with reasonable claims of independence based on the percentage of population supporting independence. This is...
  3. Maciamo

Economy The USA looks like a developing country in many ways. Here is why.

I have been meaning to start a thread like this for many years. I thought it might be too provocative, but I see how many Americans themselves are dissatisfied with their own country and the situation seems to be getting constantly worse. To many outside observers it has been clear for quite...
  4. Maciamo

What are the three things that most strongly define your identity?

I posted a thread on how Europeans viewed themselves and how much they identified with things such as one's family, gender, age group, nationality, region, level of education, occupation, sexual orientation, ethnicity, political orientation, or religion. If you had to choose three things to...
  5. Maciamo

Politics Net monthly salaries of presidents, ministers, lawmakers and mayors in OECD

The salary of politicians is a topic that a lot of people like to broach because most of us feel like their taxes are paying these salaries (and yet many people are dissatisfied with their politicians). But the question few people ever ask is: "Do politicians in my country earn more or less than...
  6. Maciamo

Politics Trust in government by country

The OECD has just released the new stats of trust in government. The results are edifying. The Swiss have the most confidence in their leaders (84.6%), which is not surprising considering that Switzerland may be the only direct democracy in the world (at least in some cantons). They are followed...
  7. Maciamo

Economy Belgian banks threaten to expel Belgians with American nationality

That's not a joke. You read it well. That's what the Belgian economic magazine Trends explains in this article. It concerns mostly accidental Americans, that is foreigners who were born in the US while their parents were working there (usually for a few years as expats) and were automatically...
  8. Maciamo

Y-DNA haplogroups of the Founding Fathers of the United States

I have made a summary of all the known paternal lineages of the Founding Fathers. I wish I could find those of James Madison, John Jay and the Morris family (Gouverneur Morris, Lewis Morris, Richard Morris, etc.).
  9. Maciamo

Politics New maps of public opinion in the EU (based on Eurobarometer surveys)

I have created 9 new maps based on the EU Commission's Eurobarometer poll results for Autumn 2019. I will compare them with other maps I made earlier. Democracy This map shows the percentage of the population that is satisfied with the way democracy works in their country at the moment (well...
  10. Maciamo

New maps of the USA

Over the years I have created dozens of maps of Europe to help visualise the cultural, political, socio-economic, legal or lifestyle differences between countries. I thought it would be interesting to make similar maps for the United States, using the same scales and colours to facilitate...
  11. Maciamo

Politics Belarus on the verge of pro-democracy revolution

Tens of thousands of protesters have taken to the street in Belarus after the rigged presidential election confirmed a renewed presidential term for dictator Alexander Lukashenko, who has been in power since 1994. BBC News: Belarus protests: 'We can breathe for the first time in our lives' Six...
  12. Maciamo

Nature Ecocide may soon become an international crime

On 15th July the French Parliament voted to make ecocide (mass damage and destruction of ecosystems) a crime, with 99.3% approval. President Macron calls for ecocide to be made a crime in international law. Six days later, the Belgian Green parties, who are the second largest political group...
  13. Maciamo

Which country has the most post-capitalist culture (green vMeme of Spiral Dynamics)?

I have mentioned and summarised the concept of Spiral Dynamics in this thread. I find the concept fascinating and extremely useful to study the evolution of societies in history, but also to understand the current socio-political situation in modern countries and forecast how societies are going...
  14. Maciamo

Politics How GDP per capita can influence the stability of a democracy

Adam Przeworski, a Polish-American professor of political science at New York University, has written several papers and books regarding the relationship between economic prosperity and the stability of democratic regimes. He was able to calculate the life expectancy of a democracy based on...
  15. Jovialis

Political Coordinates Test

https://www.idrlabs.com/political-coordinates/test.php
  16. Maciamo

Politics Steven Pinker on political beliefs

I have recently read Enlightenment Now by Harvard and MIT cognitive psychologist Steven Pinker, which really is an extraordinary book. In chapter 21, Professor Pinker explains that many of the most contentious political beliefs are not grounded in reason or the depth of knowledge regarding an...
  17. Jovialis

The Green New Deal

No planes? People unwilling to work getting rewarded? Even my liberal/democrat friends are mortified by this proposal, but it turns out a lot of people in the House are signing on to this. Nevertheless, this does not have a chance in hell of ever happening. I've heard pundits try to defend it...
  18. Maciamo

Politics Should Catalonia re-apply for EU membership if it splits from Spain?

I read if Catalonia were to proclaim independence unilaterally in the next few days without the approbation of Madrid, Catalonia would not automatically become a member of the European Union. The logic is that if it splits from a member state of the EU, it would need to re-apply for EU...
  19. LeBrok

Should God be removed from politics and law?

Do you think, that at this time and age, in countries with separation of religion from state, we still should tolerate any mention of God, gods or any other supernatural creatures, in our anthems, oath, constitution, law proceedings, etc? Should we continue with it on grounds of tradition or...
  20. Petros Agapetos

Should NATO reconfigure its alliances?

Do you think NATO is obsolete, now that the Soviet Union doesn't exist? Do you support that NATO reconfigure its alliances? Which countries would you add or remove from NATO?
Back