etruscans

1. M

Etruscan & Latin mtDNA

I was checking the study of samples in the Rome area since the Mesolithic until the Middle Ages. Focusing concretely in the Iron Age/Roman Republic time period(the previous millenium of the turn to the Empire around the year 0). Here you have which culture were they part of, as well as their...
  2. M

J2a-Z435 from BA collapse

If you go to the J2 page on this site, you will learn that most of European J2 may have come from the Roman conquests. The thing is, it descends from a 'recent' clade appeared in historic times, but the subclade in question, Z435, is more recent and comprises a lot of the Euro J2. Concretely...
  3. Jovialis

La Tène Culture to Model Ancient & Modern Italians

https://www.worldhistory.org/image/14458/map-of-la-tene-culture/ Much praise to Maciamo for processing the Paterson et al. 2021 samples, and sharing them with me. I will include them in an update of the Individual samples for the aDNA catalog for Dodecad K12b. I have included La Tène, and...
  4. Jovialis

Variation of Ancestry in Posth et al. 2021's Imperial C. Italy cluster

I have compared the 6 individuals that compose the Imperial cluster of Posth et al. 2021, to Antonio et al. 2019's populations. In the Antonio paper, it was verified that the 48 Imperial cluster individuals was divided into several different ethnic groups, (i.e. (C6) Central Mediterranean, (C5)...
  5. Maciamo

K36 charts and maps of Etruscan samples

The study on ancient Etruscan DNA by Posth et al. 2021 showed that three Etruscan individuals were genetically closer to modern Northwest Europeans. Intrigued I checked their percentage of similarities with modern European populations using Eurogenes K36 and the map tool made by Jerome Hamon...
  6. Maciamo

Analysing Iron Age Italian samples

The Antonio et al. (2019) paper on Ancient Rome was released 2 and a half months ago, so I am coming a bit late for the analysis, but I had been busy before. Using the Dodecad K12b data provided by Jovialis, I created a table of the 11 Iron Age samples from this study. ID Date Y-DNA...
  7. Jovialis

Antonio M. et al 2019 - Iron Age Samples Raw Data

Here are the Iron Age samples from Ancient Rome: A genetic crossroads of Europe and the Mediterranean I used WGS extract to "convert" the files from BAM to usable raw data, in WGS combined, as well as AncestryDNA format...
  8. A

J-PF5456 questions

J-PF5456 formed 3500ybp and its TMRCA is 3300ybp (according to YFull), so pre-Roman. Question 1: My grandpa was haplogroup J-PF5456, he was born and raised in the Netherlands, so his ancestors (and therefore mine) likely arrived with the Romans? Question 2: Is J-PF5456 Tuscan? Question 3...
  9. Jovialis

Vulci Burial better defines social continuity between Etruscans & Romans

ROME - An exceptional discovery was made at the Vulci archaeological site, where a treasure of coins from the 3rd century B.C. was found intact, according to a statement from the site's scientific department. The discovery included 15 large bronze coins, which were likely originally stored in a...
  10. Angela

A Genome-Wide Study of Modern-Day Tuscans: Revisiting Herodotus's Theory on the Origi

I just gave this paper a quick run through. I may change my mind after a more thorough analysis, but I think they may have gotten it wrong. Again...even with whole genomes. It's not to say that the conclusion is necessarily incorrect. It's just to say that their analysis doesn't prove it. You...
  11. Maciamo

Distribution of J2 subclades in Italy (Boattini et al.)

Here is the breakdown of J2 subclades by province based on the recent study by Boattini et al.. North Italy In Cuneo, south-west Piedmont, 2 out of 30 samples are J2 (6.5%), both J2a*. In Savona/Genova, central Liguria, 7 out of 50 samples are J2 (14%), among which three J2a*, two J2a2-M67...
  12. Maciamo

Breakdown of R1b subclades in Italy (Boattini et al.)

I have counted the samples for each R1b subclade in the new study of Italian Y-chromosomes by Boattini et al. and calculated the percentages for R1b for each province. The two most interesting R1b subclades in Italy are R1b-U152, which I believe to be associated with the Italic migrations, and...
  13. G

Ancient Italic People

Can someone give me a brief description of every Italic tribe , in terms of who they they were Ethnically, Culturally, Linguistically etc No need to use Haplogroups. By Italic I mean all tribes inhabiting what is now Italy.
Back