maykop

1. Ned

PIE origins, Proto-Anatolian, Maykop and Kristiansen

Kristiansen, Kristian "The Archaeology of Proto-Indo-European and Proto-Anatolian: Locating the Split" in "Dispersals and Diversification: Linguistic and Archaeological Perspectives on the Early-Stages of Indo-European" ed.: M. Serangeli & Th. Olander (Leiden: Brill, 2020) pp 157-163 I've just...
  2. Maciamo

Were mtDNA H2a1, I, R1a and W the haplogroups of the Maykop culture ?

The North Caucasus has a very unique genetic landscape. The mitochondrial haplogroups found there, especially in the Northwest Caucasus include a lot of rare lineages that aren't found at higher frequencies almost anywhere else. These include haplogroups H2a1, I (mostly the I1, I2 and I4a...
  3. Maciamo

Origins of the Indo-Europeans: the Uruk expansion and Cucuteni-Trypillian culture

The history of the Indo-Europeans is relatively clear from the Maykop and Yamna periods onwards, as I have described in the R1b and R1a pages on this site. The biggest question marks in my head at the moment are: - When did the R1a and R1b lineages arrive in the Pontic Steppe and North Caucasus...
  4. Maciamo

More evidence that the PIE R1b people originated in the Maykop culture

Dienekes mentions on his blog a recent paper by Konstantine Pitskhelauri on the settlement of the Caucasus by migrants from the Middle East during the Neolithic period. The paper brings additional evidence regarding the origins of the Early Bronze Age Maykop culture in Mesopotamia, confirming...
  5. Maciamo

Major new paper on haplogroup G : new peaks in NW Caucaus, Palestine & Corsica

A new paper on haplogroup G by Rootsi et al. was published two days ago. They compiled a new database of some 1500 members of hg G spread over nearly 100 regions and listed frequencies in all these regions for 17 subclades of G. This is by far the most comprehensive study of hg G so far. I am...
Back