Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Do you think cannabis (marijuana/hashish) should be legal ?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there is absolutely no reason to make it illegal

    52 40.94%
  • If tobacco and alcohol are legal, then cannabis should be as well

    28 22.05%
  • Maybe, but we lack scientific evidence to know whether it is nocive or not

    5 3.94%
  • It should be legal only for medical reason (with prescription)

    26 20.47%
  • I am completely against it, but not against tobacco and alcohol

    3 2.36%
  • I would ban it altogether with cigarettes and alcohol

    13 10.24%
  • Don't know

    0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 156

Thread: Should cannabis be legal in every country ?

  1. #51
    Captain of the Vessel Achievements:
    1 year registered
    60Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-08-04
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    41


    Ethnic group
    Dutch
    Country: Netherlands





    What I'm saying, when you put it into legal canals, the illegal criminals have less clients, because clients can buy it legal too. I think you prefer to buy your sigarettes legal above illegal, at least I would. In this way, the goverment can set demands on quality of cannabis....

  2. #52
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    bossel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-09-03
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    790


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by cathy
    Drug and alchohol goes hand on hand.
    Hmm, alcohol is a drug. In Europe most people would disagree with you. Many would even demonise drug use, although they themselves are heavy drinkers. I don't know how it is in the US, but in Germany Marijuana smokers are not necessarily those who drink the most.



    the biggest and rootless one in USA organized crime are not italian mafiya but the jwish mafiya. They control just about everything in USA, Europe, Midle East, and Russia. Plus many other country around the world.

    If you go googling for jew, you will find things that you and millions other citezens, never dream otf it.
    That sounds a little bit too much like one of those conspiracy theories going round. There are a lot of Jews in influential positions, but to say that they control everything is slightly far-fetched.


    Government leaders never gone to ligalize drug. They are deep involved themself with the organized crime. There`s big money involved. Its not convenient to to them, to let regular citezens obtain their own.
    Well, I would call government a criminal organisation. But for the most part, I suppose, they see the illegal organised crime as competition, they're not actively involved (in most of Western Europe at least).

  3. #53
    Go to Japan. Achievements:
    1 year registered
    topi's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-04
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7


    Country: United_Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by DragonChan
    I'm one of those 'annoying people' who hates cigs/alcohol/drugs in general. Aside from the whole 'it's horrible for your body, destroys your brain, and makes you act like a total idiot' arguments...

    They say the crime rates for people on weed is low, but they don't have any tests that can prove whether or not you've smoked up. Driving when you're stoned is dangerous, but I know people who do all the time. So essentially until they can develop a test to determine if a person is 'under the influence' I don't think they should consider making it legal.
    I am one of 'those' too

    My freinds say im awkward, but then they have no money and cant talk properly because of the booze/drugs.

    So to people that dont drink or smoke, saying that cannabis should be legalised because cigarettes and alchohol are, is a very stupid argument.

    I dont agree with banning it all, because some people depend on alchohol/drugs, and I feel sorry for them.

  4. #54
    Manga Psychic Achievements:
    1 year registered
    PaulTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-01-04
    Posts
    79


    Country: United_Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by cathy
    If you go googling for jew, you will find things that you and millions other citezens, never dream otf it.
    Yeah and one in 20 or so of them might actually be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by 60Yen
    What I'm saying, when you put it into legal canals, the illegal criminals have less clients, because clients can buy it legal too. I think you prefer to buy your sigarettes legal above illegal, at least I would. In this way, the goverment can set demands on quality of cannabis....
    Not to mention the government should like it because they get to tax the suckers into the stratosphere.

    Although that can be overdone. If you look at cigarettes for example the UK government taxes them so heavily that cigarette smuggling is a massive business.

    Incidently there are ways of testing for driving impairment due to drugs in general and cannabis in particular although they are still in the early stages of design and not (AFAIK) in general use yet.

  5. #55
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    bossel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-09-03
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    790


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTB
    Incidently there are ways of testing for driving impairment due to drugs in general and cannabis in particular although they are still in the early stages of design and not (AFAIK) in general use yet.
    In Germany 2 ways of drug testing are already in use: saliva tests & the so-called "drugwipe". If those tests show evidence of drug use, the drivers need to have their blood examined. Only the results of the blood tests are to be used in court.

  6. #56
    Captain of the Vessel Achievements:
    1 year registered
    60Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-08-04
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    41


    Ethnic group
    Dutch
    Country: Netherlands



    Well about the taxes, that would offcourse be nice too.

  7. #57
    Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    27-08-03
    Posts
    376


    Country: United_States



    Well, I commented on this earlier in the thread, but now that the thread has been made into a poll, I took the poll as well. I choose "Yes, there is absolutely no reason to make it illegal." So that's my vote, for what it's worth!

  8. #58
    Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    27-08-03
    Posts
    376


    Country: United_States



    I thought this was interesting ...

    Mental Marijuana
    By Philip Dawdy, Seattle Weekly
    Posted on August 26, 2004


    Smoking marijuana, the federal government constantly reminds us, is dangerous in every way. It impairs cognitive functioning, makes you high, and, because it's smoked, is a demon in a bong hit – and so on.

    A counterargument is that pot has helped thousands of cancer and AIDS patients, for example, contend with side effects of their illnesses and treatments. There is also evidence that marijuana works for some psychiatric disorders as well, principally depression and bipolar disorder. Among some people, pot is jokingly referred to as "green Prozac."

    The problem is you can't legally take a toke for psychiatric diagnoses.

    "I think cannabis has a lot of potential in the treatment of mental illness," says Lester Grinspoon, emeritus professor of psychiatry at the Harvard School of Medicine. He says that it can be an effective treatment for bipolar disorder and depression. Like any medicine, he cautions, it won't work for everyone. Grinspoon has, over the last three decades, been one of the few psychiatrists willing to speak publicly on mental marijuana.

    Most of the evidence to support use of pot as medicine is anecdotal; i.e., it seems to help AIDS and cancer patients contend with their diseases and handle the nausea they often experience from treatment, so there must be something to it. Many people also report that it provides a quick lift from the bowels of depression.

    My own anecdotal, ahem, experience is that pot does indeed boost my mood from the badlands of depression and lower me from the Mount Everests of mania. I have no idea why or how, nor do I especially care – I'm one of those people who find Prozac and its progeny to be barely effective and with enough nasty side effects to outweigh the benefits. But I'll never tell that to the Drug Enforcement Administration or drug czar John Walters.

    Instead, I'll let the Israeli army speak for me. Two weeks ago, it announced that it would provide, on an experimental basis, medical marijuana to troops suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, another mental illness. Good enough for an army, good enough for me.

    But in states with medical marijuana laws, each attempt to get depression or bipolar disorder added to the list of ailments for which the kine can be oh-so-kind has been shot down.

    For example, four years ago, the Washington Medical Quality Assurance Commission was petitioned to add mental illness to its list of approved uses of medical marijuana. The commission denied the request. It argued that there was no lock-solid scientific evidence that weed worked for mental illness. The odd thing is that it had approved pot for treatment of Alzheimer's, Krohn's disease, chronic pain, and wasting syndrome based upon – you guessed it – anecdotal evidence.

    The feds would like to keep any evidence that reefer is an Rx anecdotal – no peer-reviewed, double-blind studies here – as it bolsters their case that there's no scientific proof that pot works for anything except getting people high. It's the evil weed.

    As proof, the DEA touts the following from a 1999 scientific report: It states that " . . . there is little future in smoked marijuana as a medically approved medication."

    The report was prepared by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), part of the independent National Academies of Science. Interestingly, the feds lifted that quote from deep in the report. But perhaps more telling is that only one sentence later, the report says: "The personal medical use of smoked marijuana – regardless of whether or not it is approved – to treat certain symptoms is reason enough to advocate clinical trials to assess the degree to which the symptoms or course of diseases are affected."

    The IOM backed that up with several strong recommendations that medical marijuana should be thoroughly studied – you know, like scientists study every other treatment under the sun.

    To date, that hasn't happened.

    "Who is going to get approval from an institutional review board to break the law?" asks Grinspoon. Researchers must have their studies cleared by such boards before they can do experiments with humans. He likens the situation to that of lithium. Its efficacy for treating mental illness was found by accident in the 1940s by an Australian scientist. The evidence was anecdotal. It wasn't until the late 1950s that the feds allowed it to be used in this country, despite the fact that it was saving lives on the other side of the globe.

    That's not to say that marijuana is the new lithium or an all-conquering antidepressant. This is not an argument for 40 grams to freedom. Most psych meds work quite well for an estimated 60 percent to 70 percent of patients. It's the remaining 30 percent to 40 percent who are in a sketchier situation. If the approved meds don't work at all or barely work their alleged magic, where are you supposed to turn?

    Psychiatrists usually prescribe another med such as Lexapro, a new antidepressant that's all the rage these days. Personally, I found that marijuana had a positive effect quite by accident, especially when dealing with short-lived psychoses. Medications for that typically take hours or days to work – and when you are in that state, you aren't interested in anything but relief by any means necessary, stat.

    So let's assume that weed works for a minority of the mentally ill. Doctors usually come back with the assertion that pot has too many side effects, such as respiratory ailments, to even consider its use. I wonder what universe they live in. Long-term use of psych meds themselves carries a host of side effects, which have been poorly evaluated in long-term studies – kidney and liver damage chief among them, along with nausea, weight gain, sexual dysfunction, sleep interference, and hair loss. And they talk about the side effects of marijuana? By comparison, pot's side effects are almost minimal. So, I'll take that medical marijuana any day – I'd simply like to do it legally.
    © 2004 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
    View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/19687/

  9. #59
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    bossel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-09-03
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    790


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    In Germany 2 ways of drug testing are already in use: saliva tests & the so-called "drugwipe". If those tests show evidence of drug use, the drivers need to have their blood examined. Only the results of the blood tests are to be used in court.
    Little update to the above: as it turns out, although drugwipe is widely used in Germany, it's unreliable. In case of Cannabis more than 20% of the tests show false results. For other drugs the results vary, best are those for opiates.

    But not only drugwipe has a high failure rate, some of the common alcohol tests are a bit unreliable, too. It seems that bigger people get lower results when having the same blood alcohol level, for they have a bigger lung volume. Maybe this is only related to the software used in some of the devices, but if you're small & get a result slightly over the top you should insist on a blood test.

  10. #60
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    cicatriz esp's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-08-04
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    20
    Posts
    47


    Ethnic group
    welsh/english
    Country: United_States



    Quote Originally Posted by blessed
    i'll have to quote Bill Hicks on this:
    "Marijuana grows naturaly on the earth. Making marijuana against the law, is like saying that God made a mistake"
    It's quite ironic that the most religious developed country in the world, America, also has the toughest marijuana laws.
    http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4525

    Possession is a misdemeanor. In some states, all you get is a civil citation. Actually, i think possession of around 2 pounds or more turns into a felony. I have literally shared a joint with an off duty cop once.

    Selling is a different story, and is generally a felony.

  11. #61
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    21-11-04
    Posts
    11


    Country: United_States



    I think the government should stay out of our lives as much as possible, so yes I feel it should be legal

    but to the effect that it must be consumed in designated areas (as with alcohol, you shouldn't be allowed to walk down the street smoking a joint)...

    As long as you aren't giving anyone second-hand smoke by doing it, I figure it ought to be legal...

    ~ a "retired" smoker, 8 months and goin strong

  12. #62
    Envious of Nabeshin's Fro Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Fantt's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-06-03
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Age
    50
    Posts
    95


    Ethnic group
    Burns if left in sun
    Country: United_States



    Anything that adults can do alone or with each other which causes no harm to others not participating should be legal. Any harm they do to themselves is their own concern. That said, I still think that driving while under the influence of any inhibiting substance should be illegal. The situation gets a lot muddier when children are involved. Smoking crack may not hurt anyone other than the smoker, but adults should probably not be allowed to smoke it around children. Meth labs shouldn't be allowed in neighborhoods because of explosion risks.

    Making drugs legal would cause their prices to plummet because the government created black market would be gone. This extreme lowering of prices would greatly reduce the crime associated with illegal drugs - especiallly crimes involve gangs, which would suddenly find their main source of funding cut off.

    I think all drugs should be made legal for personal use by adults and the government should use a tiny percentage of the drug war monies on providing free preventative and treatment for addictions.

  13. #63
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-03-05
    Location
    ireland
    Age
    44
    Posts
    70


    Ethnic group
    jedi
    Country: Ireland



    those who do not need to use their brain organ, can have a good trip to amsterdam, for the purpose of smoking a couple of hash joints totally legal.

    however, more intake does not produce a better high, soon all obtained is a yellow lemon tree without lemons and DROWSYNESS.

    one who quit cigarettes.

  14. #64
    ‰Τ‰Ξ‚̍D‚«‚Θ Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    01-09-03
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13


    Ethnic group
    Japanese
    Country: Australia



    I don't agree with the legalisation of cannabis. It should be used only for medical purpose.
    If you are healthy, why do you have to use them?
    For fun? Do you exactly know the effect it has on you?

    Driving while you are stoned is dangerous and can kill someone.
    Just because somebody is doing, it does not mean it's OK.
    Isnft it our responsibility as an adult to participate in building a safe city?
    PEACE ON EARTH

  15. #65
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    bossel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-09-03
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    790


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by ralian
    Driving while you are stoned is dangerous and can kill someone.
    Same goes for alcohol & a lot of medical drugs.

  16. #66
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    The BBC website has a lot of interesting facts on cannabis;

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopi...l#for_against1

    "Cannabis has an effect on the heart, similar to the effects of exercise. It may be just as good for the heart as going to the gym". I never knew that . I used to smoke it regually a long time ago, but gave up partly because i could and partly because i didn't see the point in doing it anymore- plus it was expensive stuff .

  17. #67
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Silverbackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-03-05
    Posts
    102


    Country: United_States



    Yes it should be legal. It isn't the government's place to decide what people do with their bodies. To certain people it maybe perfectly fine, while to others it may not be. It is up to the user to decide.

    It is even more hypocritical to have alcohol and tobacco legal when cannabis isn't.

  18. #68
    The Great Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mitsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-06
    Location
    In the computer
    Posts
    235
    Points
    8,018
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,018, Level: 26
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    There are a lot of great points made here. I am going to have to say that I want it to be illegal.

    I think it should only be distributed by prescription. People already abuse Alcohol. So why would we want people to have easier access to marijuana? Marijuana is already being abused, and it's not even legalized. Not to mention the many more braincells that are killed by smoking reefer than by drinking alcohol. I suggest that we limit the legalization of drugs (alcohol, and of course marijuana). Tobacco isn't a drug. Yes it can hurt you in some ways, bad teeth, bad lungs, but not even close to the same affect as marijuana. We already have people getting in accidents because of alcohol consumption. If Marijuana is legalized, that will make it more succeptible for people to use it. Thus, bringing more accidents. Marijuana is a hallucinogen, alcohol isn't. Marijuana can be a much more dangerous substance. (It can have worse affects on the brain then alcohol) Also, legalizing it will give people the ability to consume both alcohol and marijuana at the same time, making a more dangerous affect on the human body. I have heard that you can smoke it and have no affects at all, but then later in life start having hallucinations. (I have just heard that, not saying I know for sure)

    To compare marijuana with tobacco, is to me, ludicrous. Seriously though, How far are we willing to go, just to have some extra "fun"?

    People say, "If we make Marijuana illegal, then we should get rid of Alcohol, and tobacco", Well, then I say this. "If we allow Marijuana to become legal, then we should legalize ecstasy" Too far? Nah! If we legalize it, then I think a push for legalization for other drugs will happen. We have to remember, we want to stop drugs, not promote it.

    Also, Marijuana use makes people more willing to try other drugs, like cocaine, mushrooms, LSD, I can go on. If Marijuana makes people feel good, then they will think "Hey, maybe if I take a stronger drug, then maybe I will feel even better!" I guess the same could be said for alcohol.

    My point is, legalizing drugs only promotes drugs. We should try to limit our access to drugs.
    We need to set a good influence for our future. Allowing the use of marijuana will only promote drug use. Besides it can make you stupid.

    So, closely monitored, distributed by prescription for medical reasons is fine with me.

  19. #69
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuo Oda
    There are a lot of great points made here. I am going to have to say that I want it to be illegal.
    I think it should only be distributed by prescription. People already abuse Alcohol. So why would we want people to have easier access to marijuana? Marijuana is already being abused, and it's not even legalized. Not to mention the many more braincells that are killed by smoking reefer than by drinking alcohol. I suggest that we limit the legalization of drugs (alcohol, and of course marijuana). Tobacco isn't a drug. Yes it can hurt you in some ways, bad teeth, bad lungs, but not even close to the same affect as marijuana. We already have people getting in accidents because of alcohol consumption. If Marijuana is legalized, that will make it more succeptible for people to use it. Thus, bringing more accidents. Marijuana is a hallucinogen, alcohol isn't. Marijuana can be a much more dangerous substance. (It can have worse affects on the brain then alcohol) Also, legalizing it will give people the ability to consume both alcohol and marijuana at the same time, making a more dangerous affect on the human body. I have heard that you can smoke it and have no affects at all, but then later in life start having hallucinations. (I have just heard that, not saying I know for sure)
    To compare marijuana with tobacco, is to me, ludicrous. Seriously though, How far are we willing to go, just to have some extra "fun"?
    People say, "If we make Marijuana illegal, then we should get rid of Alcohol, and tobacco", Well, then I say this. "If we allow Marijuana to become legal, then we should legalize ecstasy" Too far? Nah! If we legalize it, then I think a push for legalization for other drugs will happen. We have to remember, we want to stop drugs, not promote it.
    Also, Marijuana use makes people more willing to try other drugs, like cocaine, mushrooms, LSD, I can go on. If Marijuana makes people feel good, then they will think "Hey, maybe if I take a stronger drug, then maybe I will feel even better!" I guess the same could be said for alcohol.
    My point is, legalizing drugs only promotes drugs. We should try to limit our access to drugs.
    We need to set a good influence for our future. Allowing the use of marijuana will only promote drug use. Besides it can make you stupid.
    So, closely monitored, distributed by prescription for medical reasons is fine with me.


    I think a point that you forget is that legalising the drug will lower its price and thus cut down on the crime associated with it- pot in america is also far stronger than the stuff we smoke over here in england, plus people in england only smoke spliffs with 50/50 pot and tobacco on average max while in america they smoke full weed ones- i am just going on what other people who have smoked pot in america have told me though and the ways that i know are most common over here. So not only do we smoke weaker stuff but we only smoke half the amount people in america do.
    But anyways, thats not my point. Making it more illegal/against the law makes it more dangerous in some senses- dealers can put any price they want on it, its harder to get hold of so people who want it have to go to greater lengths to get it, dealers can also put any sort of crap in it and no one will know any better half the time. By legalising it, now only will the government be able to supervise it and its quality easier as once it is more out in the open and socially accpetable, many people that need help or have worries concerning it will be able to know what to do and feel less social pressures upon them, there will be less crime associated with the drug because prices will be more stable (and probably far lower) and people will know what to expect and want quality-wise.
    In amsterdam, where cannabis is legal in england, they have very low crime rates in comparison to the rest of the country where such a drug is illegal- no, there isn't a boom in heroin addicts or thugs or people going onto harder drugs, society is stable and people work like normal addults and enjoy normal things. They don't have a low life expectancy there and the hospitals aern't any more packed full than the rest of the country. I think a lot of the fears and issues concerning pot/cannabis is blown out of proportion by the fact it is illegal and the fears, social pressures and rumors that spread in such a situation.

    "44% of 16 to 29 year-olds have tried cannabis at some point in their lives. Half of them have used it in the last year

    In 1998, 76% of people arrested for drugs offences in Britain were charged with possession of cannabis"

    Despite it being illegal, it seems that most people that want to do it, do it regardless of it legality- which is why i think making it legal wouldn't encourage a boom in cannabis users either way. It would also save a huge amount of the polices time and money since the vast majority of arrests seem to revolve around cannabis possesion.
    Most of the health problems associated with cannabis come down to the tar content of it when smoked, the and the issues with people that already have health problems or genetic issues like weak hearts or schizophrenia. Cannabis is not alone in though though, there are already many legal drugs not advised for people with mental or physical health issues, and the tar problem with cannabis can be solved by simply not smoking the stuff, but instead by taking it in some other form like eating it.
    A good point made by somone on the BBC discussion area on pot;

    ""The death rate due to alcohol abuse alone is higher than that for all illegal drugs lumped together (as discussed on the BBC news today in a story about a tripling in liver damage due to drinking). Add to that the damage done by tobacco (how many smoking related diseases are there?) and you wonder why some drugs are legal and others are not.
    Cannabis does not cause acute toxicity like alcohol and doesn't result in the alcohol-related violence seen in town centres when pubs empty. Despite this alcohol is advertised on TV, bill-boards etc and UK plc makes lots of tax money from its sale."

    I think the problem we have shouldn't be with cannabis but the drug dealers.

  20. #70
    The Great Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mitsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-06
    Location
    In the computer
    Posts
    235
    Points
    8,018
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,018, Level: 26
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    I totally see your point. It's a very big concern. Drug Dealers are a major problem. But what about those dealers that grow their own? They may have a massive supply of it, and sell it to people for less money, than what the gov sells it for. Which then people would want to buy from them. If it becomes legalized, people will be growing it up the wazoo. So, how can the government supervise this? I doubt they will make growing it legal. If they do, it gives these dealers a better way of receiving it and selling it for a smaller price, also sticking whatever they want in it like you mentioned above.

    Growing is another BIG problem. So, I think the marijuana is the problem.

    Most likely, instead of selling the actual pot, (or cannibis), they will start selling the plant.

  21. #71
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuo Oda
    I totally see your point. It's a very big concern. Drug Dealers are a major problem. But what about those dealers that grow their own? They may have a massive supply of it, and sell it to people for less money, than what the gov sells it for. Which then people would want to buy from them. If it becomes legalized, people will be growing it up the wazoo. So, how can the government supervise this? I doubt they will make growing it legal. If they do, it gives these dealers a better way of receiving it and selling it for a smaller price, also sticking whatever they want in it like you mentioned above.
    Growing is another BIG problem. So, I think the marijuana is the problem.
    Most likely, instead of selling the actual pot, (or cannibis), they will start selling the plant.
    If you legalise the use/possesion of cannabis(in a suitable quantity though, don't want anyone hoarding the stuff), but continue to make dealing against the law illegal, i think that would be a better situation- a bit like how you cannot sell alchohol without a license, but you can still drink alchohol if you are the right age for it.
    The time and money saved by the police not having to catch users could be spent on the dealers who will remain against the law, so even if they could be able to compete with the new legal cannibis prices, they would be at far higher risk from being caught and sent to court/prison anyway, making the dealers efforts even less worthwhile.
    Most dealers only deal cannabis because there is so much money to be made from it anyway, i think if it was legalised, a proper quality mark set and the prices lowered, many dealers would simply see no reason to deal the stuff anymore. And i think with legalised cannabis around, many people will prefer to buy the legal stuff legally instead of going to all the effort of buying the illegal stuff and putting themselves at risk.
    So overall, i think legalising the herb would cut down on drug dealers and crime and save police time and money. I think by the government selling the drug legally, it would also be able to keep a better eye on the quality of the stuff- its very easy for drug dealers to mix all kinds of nasty things with cannabis to make it seem more potent so they can sell it for more, although this often changes the "taste"/smell or appearance, a lot of people don't know any better- poor quality cannabis is often what causes bad effects on people, and not the cannabis itself. If the government set a benchmark for good quality or acceptable cannabis i'm sure a lot less people would end up buying some the crap dealers try and sell to people. The government could also breed/alter various forms of cannibis to make them healthier or less dangerous to take .

  22. #72
    The Great Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mitsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-06
    Location
    In the computer
    Posts
    235
    Points
    8,018
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,018, Level: 26
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    I still think Marijuana is too hard to regulate. Even if the people who grow the plant and don't sell it, they can still use it without having to pay for it. How would the government regulate that? They wouldn't be able to. I also think that dealers would still be out there selling it for a lower price. Like you said, some people don't know better. Well, your right they don't. Some people wouldn't even think about the other "stuff" that the dealers might put into it, and they would go off and buy it. Maybe they prefer random crap in it. Who knows.

    Marijuana is a gateway drug. If people stop getting the excitement from smoking it, they will have the urge to go into harder drugs. That's proven.

    Sure that would be great for the government to make a healthier form of cannibis. But only if it's distributed through medical purposes.

    I can't remember who said it, but they said that if it stays illegal, then people would want to do it even more, because they like to disobey the law. Well, I disagree. Really, it depends on the person. Another thing is that, the people who don't do it because they are afraid of getting caught will start, because they won't be worried about getting charged with possession and ticketed.
    It will create more users if it's legalized.

    People don't do the drug because it's against the law, they do it because it gives them an elevated feeling or even more common, Peer Pressure.

  23. #73
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    bossel's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-09-03
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    790


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuo Oda
    Marijuana is a gateway drug.
    Though there may be still some (primarily USAmerican) scientists who try to prove the contrary, marijiuana is not a gateway drug. Has been shown in several European studies (eg. Kleiber in the 90s). Only a very small amount of Marijuana users later step over to harder drugs.

    Another thing is that, the people who don't do it because they are afraid of getting caught will start, because they won't be worried about getting charged with possession and ticketed.
    It will create more users if it's legalized.
    Then, how many more users of Marijuana are there in the Netherlands than eg. in the US? & how many more hard drug users are in the NL (since acc. to you there is some automatism on the way to hard drugs)?

  24. #74
    Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-04-04
    Posts
    1,720


    Country: United States



    the question is asking if I think marijuana should be legal in other countries as well as my own. I am content to let other countries make that decision for themselves. As for me, I won't smoke it whether it is legal or not. Every day it causes problems on my campus and the negative effects in poor communities like where my high school is located, are more than apparent. The number of kids as young as fourth grade that are expelled after their second posession offense is alarming. Diversion, counselling, the threat of being thrown out of school doesn't work.

    Should we legalize it in the US? I would not support it. The costs in terms of family and social programs and the damage to the lives and education of children is simply not worth it just to let a few pot heads get high.

  25. #75
    The Great Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mitsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-06
    Location
    In the computer
    Posts
    235
    Points
    8,018
    Level
    26
    Points: 8,018, Level: 26
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    Though there may be still some (primarily USAmerican) scientists who try to prove the contrary, marijiuana is not a gateway drug. Has been shown in several European studies (eg. Kleiber in the 90s). Only a very small amount of Marijuana users later step over to harder drugs.
    Then, how many more users of Marijuana are there in the Netherlands than eg. in the US? & how many more hard drug users are in the NL (since acc. to you there is some automatism on the way to hard drugs)?
    Yes, it is a gateway drug. Marijuana users have been known to become bored with the drug, so they look for a new high. Also, marijuana users usually hang out with other marijuana and/or other drug users. When those marijuana users hang out with them, they are more inclined to take the drugs offered to them, like cocaine, ecstasy, LSD.

    Another thing to point out is that many teens that smoke the stuff feel that it's ok to take different drugs that's offered to them, since, to them, they haven't had any kind of problems. So they feel invincible and that nothing wrong will happen.

    You say that "Only a very small amount of marijuana users later step over to harder drugs". Yeah, making it a gateway drug. You're just helping me out by saying that. Because I don't recall saying a big amount or even giving an amount of users at all that step over to harder drugs. But an amount is an amount, right? I don't care what the amount is: a small amount, a big amount. Either way, it's not good.

    I said "Another thing is that, the people who don't do it because they are afraid of getting caught will start, because they won't be worried about getting charged with possession and ticketed.
    It will create more users if it's legalized"

    Then you said "Then, how many more users of Marijuana are there in the Netherlands than eg. in the US? & how many more hard drug users are in the NL (since acc. to you there is some automatism on the way to hard drugs)?"
    Don't ask me. For me to know that, I would have to ask every single person in the Netherlands and America, just to get some type of number. It probably wouldn't be accurate because people do lie about their own habits.
    I can't see where you pulled out hard drugs from that though. I was just talking about marijuana.

    Actually, I never said that if you smoke marijuana, that you automatically go on to hard drugs. A gateway drug is a drug that gives users a much higher potential to try other drugs. By saying gateway, I am not saying that all of them do step over. But there is a fair chance that they will.

    Besides, the statement "Only a very small amount of marijuana users later step over to harder drugs" cannot be relied on. How can a statistic be made from that? There are probably millions of people doing drugs that are undocumented. If anything, that's an uneducated guess.

    That stat reminds me of the Iraq war. How they say: 60% of americans disagree with the war and 40% are in favor- The funny thing is, I don't remember voting on that, or even being asked that. That 60% could have been taken from 10 people, with six disagreeing and 4 agreeing with the war.

    I call it twististics. A stat purposely twisted around or exaggerated to prove a point or make it in favor in the way a group or person wants it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jesus healed using cannabis
    By thomas in forum World News
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23-11-13, 18:04
  2. World Map of the Penis Size Worldwide (country) by Country.
    By Riccardo in forum Anthropology & Ethnography
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-10-13, 16:35
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-03-07, 02:51
  4. Italy decriminalises possession of cannabis
    By Maciamo in forum European News & Hot Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-11-06, 13:57
  5. Cannabis and Multiple Sclerosis
    By csi in forum Opinions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-02-05, 16:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •