Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't ignore the 'ignore list'.

Yuyurungul Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Asian American

Ah, I guess the fighting's all coming up again.

I agree, putting people on Ignore is good to maintain order, or at least sanity. Arguments on Internet forums never get resolved except with the intervention of a moderator, I've found. Besides, didn't you ever want to try that cool feature on JREF?

Cat lover Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!

Quote Originally Posted by lastmagi

I agree, putting people on Ignore is good to maintain order, or at least sanity. Arguments on Internet forums never get resolved except with the intervention of a moderator, I've found. Besides, didn't you ever want to try that cool feature on JREF?
    I must admit, I haven't used it - YET!!!

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

I turned it on once for Toilet Roll, until he was banned. If you think things are bad now...
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 01-11-05 at 18:45.

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    I turned it on once for Toilet Roll, until he was banned. If you thinks thinks are bad now...
    His name says it all, yeah?

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    His name says it all, yeah?
    For whatever it's worth...I first remembered it as Toilet Paper, but I think it was defiantely Roll.

No Longer a Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Native American

The very first forum I joined was merciless to any who got easily offended or provoked. Quickly, after a couple of fights did I learn that it was better to just keep my side civil, and not get upset. I do have the odd day wherein I am especially irritable, and by chance does someone have a go at me on that day. Under these conditions do I get a little nasty at times. Just being honest.
    "The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, forgiveness."
    --H.H. the Dalai Lama

The sheriff Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    japanese and korean and american

wait who do we ignore if something happens? why do we ignore people anyway?
    it wouldn't be nice to ignore folk, cant we all be civil?

the bigger man is forgiving.

FIGHTING FOR JPOP Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    dutch

Quote Originally Posted by jack2
    why do we ignore people anyway?

SOME PEOPLE ABHOR EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Quote Originally Posted by jack2
    wait who do we ignore if something happens? why do we ignore people anyway?
    it wouldn't be nice to ignore folk, cant we all be civil?

the bigger man is forgiving.
    Easier said than done. Often there are misreadings of an innocuous post. Less often, there is malicious content. Most of the time, common sense overcomes these human errors. Less often, common sense fails.

Misread words. Misread intention. => flaming capacity might become mutually realised

Correctly read words of malice. Correctly read malicious intention. => flaming capacity again...

It feels mightly cold on the forum right now. I might have had a part over my time here. I never provoked, but I might have failed either by mireading, or just reading words of bile too chrystal clear, words of bileful insensitivity too painfully clear.

It is winter; it is supposed to be cold physically. Can humanity overcome inhumanity ? Science helps.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by lastmagi

Well, yes and no. There is definately a sense here of having to watch your words and of dictates being handed down from on high. It wasn't this way, though, going back over a year now, because the community was much more cohesive and tightly intertwined then which nurtured both self and social restraint plus a more relaxed (fun) environment. The level of arguing that led to a ban for instance was much less because it happened much less frequently.

Of course as everyone says compared with other boards most people here still don't take it too seriously...just that the standards have changed can't be denied.

gunjin Achievements:
    1 year registered

*clicks ignore all*
    Picture Tokyo

Catholic - which I was until I reached the age of reason.
    I've found him, I have Jesus in the trunk. - George Carlin Religion Quotes

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    English

What I like the most about this forum is that it comes the closest, in spirit, of meeting people face-to-face who share a common interest in Japan. I feel the sincereity of this community and have seen mutual trust and respect here.

Emotions, like thoughts, are such transient things... but words... they are left for all to see... It is that permanence that gets some into trouble... after the heat of the moment has passed...

I am not really sure where I was going with this thought, except perhaps to say that I am a newb here and so far I really like this forum and all the people here... and I hope I never have to use the 'ignore' feature... but it is nice to know it is there...

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Anglo-Irish-Norse

I did employ the "ignore" facility ... just once ....

... but found it totally infuriating ....!

... I just kept on wanting to read what the blighter had posted .... !

... so I switched it off!

(It's O.K! ... it was against nobody
    still here on the forum now!)

:homer:

ジョン
    If you haven't been a Communist by the time you're 40 - then you don't have a heart.

If you're still a Communist after the age of forty - you don't have a head ....

(Denis Healey)

If you're still a communist after the age of sixty ... you're coming to your senses again ....

(Sensuikan San)

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Half scottish half Germanic, i got blood from austria, germany, scotland england, im a mongrol.

ignore list for the win!

Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

I was asked to ignore someone, and it is quite interesting to see half of arguments. Like Sensuikan San, I also find it infuriating. It just kinda grates on you to not know what the person is posting, but I generally assume that he is being rude and I can accurately imagine what the posts say anyway. I just wish I could respond... some people are so incredibly wrong, they do not deserve the courtesy we extend to them... I believe they should be rightously opposed and hear my perfect opinion every time they post.

Hachiro

I believe they should be rightously opposed and hear my perfect opinion every time they post.

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by sabro
    I was asked to ignore someone, and it is quite interesting to see half of arguments. Like Sensuikan San, I also find it infuriating.
    Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 19-02-06 at 16:17.

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

I was asked to ignore someone, and it is quite interesting to see half of arguments. Like Sensuikan San, I also find it infuriating.
    To the extent the ignore faculty is one thing still under user control, if complying with such a request in spirit by responding in moderation goes against a forum rule or is something that can be censored, I would be a bit suprised...
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 19-02-06 at 18:53.

1 year registered

I seriously thought about it a few times, but I don't want to use it unless I absolutely have to.

I don't really like the idea of just turning a switch and blocking out everything someone says--it's too much like censorship. When someone has a different opinon--even if it's TOTALLY WRONG AND OFFENSINVE, I feel like it would be a failing on my part if all I could do was refuse to hear them.

Besides, the refusing to hear opposing views is usually what makes me so mad at people in the first place--I don't want to start doing it myself.
    Baka ningen.

Booyah! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Danish and Swedish

Is there an Ignore list?

I think sometimes it is acceptable if you want to ignore someone, but by reading a list of people that you should ignore. If you're ignoring a person it has to be for a personal reason. otherwise it is not fair, not giving them a chance to get un-ignored.

Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

I think it is almost a birthright to respond to those you feel are ******** or are especially wrong and offensive. To ignore them in such cases seems an abrogation of responsibility. I believe it is necessary to hear opposing viewpoints and to respond to them-- and Reiku-- it does definitely feel like censorship. I believe you are familiar with my specific situation.

(I did send out a pm to a few moderators to argue my case...)

Hachiro

I think it is almost a birthright to respond to those you feel are ******** or are especially wrong and offensive. To ignore them in such cases seems an abrogation of responsibility. I believe it is necessary to hear opposing viewpoints and to respond to them--
    Interesting point of view to say the least. What do you do if you get frustrated to the point of wanting to wring the little "chicken necked" S.O.B. for "stalking" you or just making you feel miserable in their responses to your posts? (I am talking hypothetically here.)

Doesn't the "ignore" button give one a sense of freedom from having to respond to idiots posts?

That said I truly admire your attitude!

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

I would never use the ignore button. I am perfectly capable of reading someone's posts and choosing whether or not to reply to them. To be honest, nothing anyone ever posts on an internet forum (with the exception of graphic mutilation pictures, possibly O_o) would affect me so deeply that I would wish not to be able to read it. If someone is acting like a total m o r o n I hope I'm mature enough to be able to 'ignore' them all by myself!

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

I think it is almost a birthright to respond to those you feel are ******** or are especially wrong and offensive. To ignore them in such cases seems an abrogation of responsibility. I believe it is necessary to hear opposing viewpoints and to respond to them-- and Reiku-- it does definitely feel like censorship. I believe you are familiar with my specific situation.
    (I did send out a pm to a few moderators to argue my case...)
    I can understand why censorship would be so anathema if the ignore button has been disabled in this case....On the other hand, we aren't here to be pawns of the moderators. If the promotion and protection of freedom of expression
    on the internet is that much of an issue of conscience for anyone than I say by all means respond as you see fit and be prepared to take the consequences.

カメハメ波! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

I think ignoring can be healthy if paying attention just causes you stress. I've used the ignore list and it's made my life more peaceful. I've also chosen to ignore people "in real life" and gotten the same result. Of course, there's the option of not using it and just not reading what someone has typed, but there's always that temptation if you can see it.

Just for your information, the ignore list merely "soft deletes" the messages of the person (people) on it, and you can actually view them if you wish. It doesn't make it so that the person you put on ignore completely disappears -- you'll still see when they post something new, including starting threads, and any place where they post will be evident to you. You can just click on "view post" to see what they have written.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    If the promotion and protection of freedom of expression
    on the internet is that much of an issue of conscience for anyone than I say by all means respond as you see fit and be prepared to take the consequences.
    Key phrase in bold. Indeed, and that's not just on the internet.

And by the way, just as an aside and something that I've been wondering about for a while: what is it about the internet that seems to negate personal responsibility, acountability, and responsibility about what one says? I've seen this over and over again that people say it's just the internet and it doesn't matter. These are still ideas that people have and believe in; what does it matter what format they're communicated by? Why is it less valid over the internet than any other form of communication? I'm not sure I'm understanding the argument properly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast