• Sometimes, Initially, Partially...

Votes: 45 50.0%

• Total voters

TimF

Muffdiver Extraordinaire!
Reaction score
Ethnic group
I am White (non hispanic)
I have been talking to alot of people lately (alot of female people) and it seems that i am picking up a lot of women lately i am not good looking by any means i am just a good listener and i use alot of soft kind words like for instance this one girl i was talking to was starting to cry about a bad memory and i told her "Please dont cry....you are far too beautiful to have tears run down your face." and "Words alone are not enough to sway the heart but for when the time is right the heart moves on its own accord from within." I use words like this (only if I mean them though) to make up for my lack in good looks and i find they work just as good or if not better. So i am asking the good people of jref do looks really matter?

As much as I'd like to say no...I say yes...at first....I think looks draw you to a person, but then the personality makes it last. So overall, personality is way way waaaay more important, but I think looks do matter initially.

I ask this on a individual level.

Sorry this was supposed to go with the other one lol!

crap how do you put a sometimes on that poll?

Well, for me personally, looks aren't actually that important. What I stated above is more of a general rule I think. Sure, looks are a bonus, but who'd want someone with a pretty face but no personality? Not me.

TimF....
"Please dont cry....you are far too beautiful to have tears run down your face." and "Words alone are not enough to sway the heart but for when the time is right the heart moves on its own accord from within."

Dork. :D

Sounds like a line from a trashy romance novel, but hey, chicks go for that stuff.

jovial_jon said:
Well, for me personally, looks aren't actually that important. What I stated above is more of a general rule I think. Sure, looks are a bonus, but who'd want someone with a pretty face but no personality? Not me.

Me either like you said looks are a bonus and lately i have been having more bonuses than a pinball machine! LOL :D

Brooker said:
TimF....

Dork. :D

Sounds like a line from a trashy romance novel, but hey, chicks go for that stuff.

Brooker i am hurt i look up to you and you call me a dork! :D But yea they do love that stuff but like i said i only say it if i mean it otherwise you are just leading them on and that is mean!

P.S.- can someone who knows what the hell they are doing come on and put a "sometimes" on my poll LOL

Nobody else has input?

It's a broad question, but, of course there has to be an initial attraction. But have you ever noticed how a cute girl becomes gorgeous if she's nice and a pretty girl becomes unattractive if she's lame?

I think they do matter to both males and females, but I think they matter more to males.
I, myself, have dated a guy I wasn't very physically attracted to before, but I was so attracted to his personality that it didn't matter.
I still have yet to meet a guy who has dated a girl without being physically attracted to her to begin with.

but...I'm not a guy, so I can't really say. :?

Yeah, obviously (well, to me), there are more good looking gals than guys.
I said yes to the looks thing. But regardless of that, a good relationship does come down to what's on the inside, and most of us knows that.
TimF, if you are really not good-looking as you say (I can't say anything about this), you probably did charm your way into people's lives. :D

Keiichi

:blush:

Depends. Once I crashed a college dance and got a 22-year-old woman to become attracted to me. I was 16.

Looks are what it boils down to for the young, I think. When you're young, looks are the first thing you notice. It's not exactly like I go out (I'm a guy) to a club, see a young lady in a slinky dress and think to myself "Gee, I wonder what her pension plan is like, I think I'll hit on her and find out." It's nice that she's got a sense of humor or that she's smart, but those are qualities I look for once I've confirmed that this is a girl who's worth my time. Pretty ones get it more than ugly ones.

On the other hand, extremely beautiful women can make me hesitate and go for a less-attractive woman. How I view the beauty of a woman depends on how I view myself, I think, and I try and go for the attainable ones.

Well its something that first attracts you to a person. But i know a girl she is not what you call good looking, but her personality is incredible and i would easily go out with her any day. As jovy said, its a bonus if there good looking. As for me, british girls seem to only go for tall, handsome bad guys and im not non of them.
I'm much better in the states, as american girls all digged my british accent

:D

jovial_jon said:
As much as I'd like to say no...I say yes...at first....I think looks draw you to a person, but then the personality makes it last. So overall, personality is way way waaaay more important, but I think looks do matter initially.
^put me up for one of these^

"when it all comes down to it, we all stand alone" - Millencolin (yeah.. i'm listening to my own music again.. been a while since my playlist had anything but japan-a-radio in it)

I pretty much agree with you peepz...looks are kinda the main thing...but sometimes the personality breaks the good looks thing very quick...*points at ex-gf :eek:kashii: *

good look is the first thing I would notice on a girl

but good look is just a bonus
personality is so much more important
I've met some girls that are not physically very attractive,but they are some of the best girls I have ever met in my life
just like a relative of mine who lives in San Francisco,shes incredible

I think it's natural to let looks guide you at first. I do think more females than males wind up being more attracted to personality.

To me, the biggest turn-on is someone who can make me lmao. If someone can make me do that, I'm hooked. Also, someone who can talk. Just someone who can have a conversation about anything. I love to talk about all kinds of things, serious or light. I like someone who can be down-to-earth and talk to me. I think those things are much more important than looks. I've really learned the value of those qualities in the past several years.

Most of the relationships I've had have started out as 'friends first' relationships. I liked getting to know someone before starting a romantic relationship with them. Well, that wasn't true in all cases, but....anyway... :p

All devilishly handsome guys I've dated have been too into themselves.

Initially, looks are going to be a person main focus point.
I mean we see it everyday if not on this board like in the post a picture thread then in real life. Because we don't know everyone ideals, likes, interest till we get to know them so initially its going to be looks. But after time and interest in that individual you begin to appreciate the thier ideals, likes and interest and thats the personality. The part that any non-vain person would go for.Believe if you invest in someones personality your relationship will thrive and prosper for as long as you keep your interest for that person :haihai: :blush:

TimF wrote....
Brooker i am hurt i look up to you and you call me a dork!

You know I'm only joking with you, right? I'm really proud of you for the way you handled the situation with the girl at the grocery store. You're an inspiration to us all. :p

kirei_na_me said:
To me, the biggest turn-on is someone who can make me lmao. If someone can make me do that, I'm hooked.

I'm definitely with ya on that one. :cool: Even if they had a great personality, if they couldn't make me laugh then I wouldn't be interested.

Brooker said:
You know I'm only joking with you, right? I'm really proud of you for the way you handled the situation with the girl at the grocery store. You're an inspiration to us all. :p

I know brooker thats why i put one of theses guys after it. :D But some one said they have never met anyone that has ever dated someone with out physically being attracted to them....I have, it was this girl at a dance she was crying and i stoped to ask her what was wrong as i sat down in the chair next to her as she explained her problem i offered her some kind words and we sat there and talked the rest of the night then she started sitting at my lunch table and i got to know her for her personality and we dated for awhile.

@kirei I guess I would fall under the catagory of guys you would have been attracted to LOL :D . I dont know though if I would have seen you out in the real world I would be too afraid to talk to you lol :D . (afraid you wouldnt even give me the time of day)

For me I can look past looks beacuse being an ugly person myself I know us ugly people harbor some of the most gourgeous inner beauty. :)

What did the other people think of my quotes? Are they dorky like
Mr. Brooker says?

This thread has been viewed 118760 times.

Back