Do you belive one day there will be total pacifism?

Do you belive there will be total pasifism?

• yes

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 35 70.0%

• Total voters
This is might sound strange, but who would really like TOTAL pacifism?

:?

I think war is the least favorable way to resolve conflicts, and violence is almost always unnecessary, but total pacifism? To be honest, I like fighting sometimes, and I don't think things were ever intended to evolve toward total pacifism. If pacifism was nature's policy, existence would be very dull indeed. For that matter, can there even be existence without somekind of conflict? I was always under the impression that black needs white, so to speak.

mad pierrot said:
This is might sound strange, but who would really like TOTAL pacifism?

:?

I think war is the least favorable way to resolve conflicts, and violence is almost always unnecessary, but total pacifism? To be honest, I like fighting sometimes, and I don't think things were ever intended to evolve toward total pacifism. If pacifism was nature's policy, existence would be very dull indeed. For that matter, can there even be existence without somekind of conflict? I was always under the impression that black needs white, so to speak.

Yeh.. Like in "Demolition Man" .. Now that would be boring as hell.. Heh.

No, I don't think there would be total pacifism - I am sorry to say this but as there are conflicts always between governments - there would always be governments which disagree with one another because they are different ideologically and politically.

However, I do not want to hide my preference: pacifism and and a peaceful world would be fine, but this would happen in:

UTOPIA. :D

When I come to think about it, pacfism in individual people is not all that great is it?
I mean taking action is more my way of life instead of being passive and smile if something bothers me...and this "action" can sometimes start conflicts between people if not done in a humane way. But I think I am good at resolving things - the good diplomat!! :) I have never had a conflict which lasted many days...
But now I am of course talking about individuals and not governments.

I think...

...total pacifism isn't possible as long as people are starving.
When there is not enough for all, one tends to take far more than he needs, cause he is not sure he will find tomorrow. Look, there always a REALLY rich family in every poor country...I think Pacifism can only be achieved if you can prevent eagerness and greediness.

The universe has an equilibrium where good balances out evil. Good can not be the only that exists for why should it? You're answer is no, but on earth you may have it. But somewhere else, no. For every action there is an equal and yet opposite reaction. The universe is based on want. It's what made it all happen. But hey, :D anything's possible.

It is human nature to compete and fight, it fact that is an integral part of every living thing on this planet. A God said, "the universe has an equilibrium".

Many people seem to see peace and goodness as a desireable goal for everyone, but that is pure selfishness. Good and evil, peace and war, everything has a place in the world and is needed in order to maintain balance. Wishing for the entire world to change for your comfort is the epitome of selfishness.

I personally do not believe there will ever be total pacifism in this world because if that ever happened it would cease to be this world and become something it was never meant to be.

I firmly believe that mankind cannot live without some kind of conflict. Besides, there would be a lot more wars in the world before we could truly have pacifism. That's what I think. :yeahh:

in the words of Butthead "if nothing sucked, how would you know what was cool?"

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that.

Good of you to bring it back, MaCherie.

I think it also depends on ideas that people have. If everyone had it ingrained in the brain that hurting a person, any person, is not what you want to do, then why not? A lot of times there is a convenient excuse to be cruel. We can easily confront or even hate what is unfamiliar. Familarity not only breeds contempt, but eases down the tension we normally have for what is strange.

As for the need to have the bad to have the good balanced out, it's only an idea (observation). We can have sports as substitutes for conflicts. Give people just the right formula, and they'll do it. Of course even some nice software can have bugs, but these can be ironed out. Lacan suggested giving enough food, and we could eventually plan the population level so everyone gets enough to eat, and other goods.

The difficulties can be listed; a realistic formula can be figured and put into effect. I think it's just a matter of time and a will to achieve it. I am selfish enough to hope for something like that.

EDIT: I have seen people from war torn countries, and they make me feel miserabel. That is my selfish reason.

Not a peace of cake. I sure agree with most of you.
Pacifism is not a politically correct opinion, nor a social behaviour (i.e. staying out of trouble). Peace is a inner condition to realize, to be reached in the bottom of my heart, before and beyond any question if any "-ism" will prevail or not. That's why fortune-telling sucks, at times. We meet what we deserve, Love or Hate.
Trying to discover truely myself,
understand what I really desire in this life,
not just by thinking (it's such a mess in a man's brain),
but what inspires me,
Uh.. and I almost forgot the most important thing :
express gratitude when I get a hint from my soul...
Then, may be I'll think again about peace

I think there could be total pacifism, ie, no conflicts between groups, but no one can prevent a derranged person from doing things.

Good point, Duo. I'd say give him a pacifier, and don't give him a gun no matter what. :)
But seriously a derranged person doesn't come out of the blue. Perhaps there's a way to help the person before bad things happen. The derranged person usually shows signs that things are not all well.

Last edited:
Yes, you can't forget about the pyschological factors. But it's difficult to get to the root of these pyschological problems.

Frank D. White said:
even have peace on our own Forum. I don't think humankind can ever live without hate, anger, and ocasional sex.

Frank

:blush:

My thoughts exactly. :cool:

Doc

Frank D. White said:
even have peace on our own Forum. I don't think humankind can ever live without hate, anger, and ocasional sex.
Doc said:
My thoughts exactly.
I missed the sex part, which prompts me to ask.
Does that mean "on our Forum," that members hate, get pissed, and have occasional sex ?
But my foolish question also gives me an idea. Why not have the following ?

1. Rehaul J-bot to specifically act like a total imbecile engineered to give you all the hate and anger to the daily recommended amount by USFDA ? Given that is technically possilbe that is.

2. Add peripherals besides the audio-visuals such as;
A. one or two gloved fist(s) that will punch you occasionally for anything that sounds annoying to J-bot.

B. a moulded latex face with all the bloody effects when you punch it for a bad reponse, a good response, or a non-response when you are not in a good mood!

3. As for the sex part, I leave it to your imagination in consideration of some members who might take offense; let me just say that the principles of mechanics, materials engineering, and robotics are already there to achieve whatever you desire.

I hope I covered everything. Does that mean we can have world peace now ? :)

Edit: Keeping within one post :)
@ Psychologists/Pschiatrists/ or people with a bent in that direction:

Your mentioning "inspiration" inspires me.
To quote one example of an infant/child chimp deprived of a mother, I have heard that the most damaging part is neither nutrition nor bodily warmth, but the stimulus from the mother that a healthy child chimp gets.
Without that, the child is slow to grow both physically and mentally. There are psycho-somatic problems, low immunity to various diseases, unusually frequent skin problems from nervous scratching and not enough grooming. Extending the chimp experiment to humans may be stretching the logic, but it seems to make some sense.

For humans who're past the infant/child years, that positive stimulus could include inspiration. You've also mentioned finding inner peace, which is more difficult to characterize. But that too can be the source of isnpiration. What do you think can offer enough stimulus or inspiration for humans?

Sports, games, good stories or film, or going to school, finding a job that you like, volunteer work, finding people whom you can relate to, finding a good person of the opposite sex, adventure, exploring the unknown, having a good debate, or listening to good music,....joining a religion you were born into or one that makes most sense to you...um, what can one do to find this good stimulus, inspiration, or inner peace ?

Last edited:
lexico said:
I missed the sex part, which prompts me to ask.
Does that mean "on our Forum," that members hate, get pissed, and have occasional sex ?
But my foolish question also gives me an idea. Why not have the following ?

1. Rehaul J-bot to specifically act like a total imbecile engineered to give you all the hate and anger to the daily recommended amount by USFDA ? Given that is technically possilbe that is.

2. Add peripherals besides the audio-visuals such as;
A. one or two gloved fist(s) that will punch you occasionally for anything that sounds annoying to J-bot.

B. a moulded latex face with all the bloody effects when you punch it for a bad reponse, a good response, or a non-response when you are not in a good mood!

3. As for the sex part, I leave it to your imagination in consideration of some members who might take offense; let me just say that the principles of mechanics, materials engineering, and robotics are already there to achieve whatever you desire.

I hope I covered everything. Does that mean we can have world peace now ? :)

Edit: Keeping within one post :)
@ Psychologists/Pschiatrists/ or people with a bent in that direction:

Your mentioning "inspiration" inspires me.
To quote one example of an infant/child chimp deprived of a mother, I have heard that the most damaging part is neither nutrition nor bodily warmth, but the stimulus from the mother that a healthy child chimp gets.
Without that, the child is slow to grow both physically and mentally. There are psycho-somatic problems, low immunity to various diseases, unusually frequent skin problems from nervous scratching and not enough grooming. Extending the chimp experiment to humans may be stretching the logic, but it seems to make some sense.

For humans who're past the infant/child years, that positive stimulus could include inspiration. You've also mentioned finding inner peace, which is more difficult to characterize. But that too can be the source of isnpiration. What do you think can offer enough stimulus or inspiration for humans?

Sports, games, good stories or film, or going to school, finding a job that you like, volunteer work, finding people whom you can relate to, finding a good person of the opposite sex, adventure, exploring the unknown, having a good debate, or listening to good music,....joining a religion you were born into or one that makes most sense to you...um, what can one do to find this good stimulus, inspiration, or inner peace ?

:relief: To many questions, not enough bullets! :gun::evil:

Doc

Doc said:
:relief: To many questions, not enough bullets! :gun::evil:

Doc
Yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda...my tongue is my lance, my words my missiles.
An evil tongue will make your day! :bikkuri: :evil: :bikkuri: :clap: :flame: :20: :122: :52: :137: :samurai: :happy:
And the pen is mightier than the swordfish! :note: :lol:

I'm Jack Slate *****!:evil: Oh boy, I'm all worked up for the new Dead to Rights game.:p Yep, the pen is mighter than the sword, and of course the writing is on the wall.:)

Doc

Pacifism is impossible; war is a biological necesarrity for mankind.

This thread has been viewed 56306 times.

Back