Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Do you belive there will be total pasifism?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

15 28.85%
  • no

37 71.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you belive one day there will be total pacifism?

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

It is human nature to compete and fight, it fact that is an integral part of every living thing on this planet. A God said, "the universe has an equilibrium".

Many people seem to see peace and goodness as a desireable goal for everyone, but that is pure selfishness. Good and evil, peace and war, everything has a place in the world and is needed in order to maintain balance. Wishing for the entire world to change for your comfort is the epitome of selfishness.

I personally do not believe there will ever be total pacifism in this world because if that ever happened it would cease to be this world and become something it was never meant to be.
    Baka ningen.

1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    Wishing for the entire world to change for your comfort is the epitome of selfishness.
    Oh well, I happen to be very selfish.

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

I firmly believe that mankind cannot live without some kind of conflict. Besides, there would be a lot more wars in the world before we could truly have pacifism. That's what I think.
    gAll right then, Ifll go to hellh\and tore it up. It was awful thoughts and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

wait up! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    ..still at it?.. go away!

in the words of Butthead "if nothing sucked, how would you know what was cool?"

I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that.
    I!

www.twisted-irony.com - Webcomic. updates=bad
    I find affence at your post as I ware eyeglass and have lmited site.
    Sankyuu~!

Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Good of you to bring it back, MaCherie.

I think it also depends on ideas that people have. If everyone had it ingrained in the brain that hurting a person, any person, is not what you want to do, then why not? A lot of times there is a convenient excuse to be cruel. We can easily confront or even hate what is unfamiliar. Familarity not only breeds contempt, but eases down the tension we normally have for what is strange.

As for the need to have the bad to have the good balanced out, it's only an idea (observation). We can have sports as substitutes for conflicts. Give people just the right formula, and they'll do it. Of course even some nice software can have bugs, but these can be ironed out. Lacan suggested giving enough food, and we could eventually plan the population level so everyone gets enough to eat, and other goods.

The difficulties can be listed; a realistic formula can be figured and put into effect. I think it's just a matter of time and a will to achieve it. I am selfish enough to hope for something like that.

EDIT: I have seen people from war torn countries, and they make me feel miserabel. That is my selfish reason.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    compound but not deeply rooted

Not a peace of cake. I sure agree with most of you.
    Pacifism is not a politically correct opinion, nor a social behaviour (i.e. staying out of trouble). Peace is a inner condition to realize, to be reached in the bottom of my heart, before and beyond any question if any "-ism" will prevail or not. That's why fortune-telling sucks, at times. We meet what we deserve, Love or Hate.
    Trying to discover truely myself,
    understand what I really desire in this life,
    not just by thinking (it's such a mess in a man's brain),
    but what inspires me,
    Uh.. and I almost forgot the most important thing :
    express gratitude when I get a hint from my soul...
    Then, may be I'll think again about peace

Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Albanian

I think there could be total pacifism, ie, no conflicts between groups, but no one can prevent a derranged person from doing things.

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Good point, Duo. I'd say give him a pacifier, and don't give him a gun no matter what. :)
    But seriously a derranged person doesn't come out of the blue. Perhaps there's a way to help the person before bad things happen. The derranged person usually shows signs that things are not all well.
    Last edited by lexico; 26-02-05 at 16:53.

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

Yes, you can't forget about the pyschological factors. But it's difficult to get to the root of these pyschological problems.

Silent Assassin Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese, Columbian, German, and Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White
    even have peace on our own Forum. I don't think humankind can ever live without hate, anger, and ocasional sex.

Frank

My thoughts exactly.

Doc
    "Suppress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand of a normal human being." - The Psychology of the Assassin

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White
    even have peace on our own Forum. I don't think humankind can ever live without hate, anger, and ocasional sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    My thoughts exactly.
    I missed the sex part, which prompts me to ask.
    Does that mean "on our Forum," that members hate, get pissed, and have occasional sex ?
    But my foolish question also gives me an idea. Why not have the following ?

1. Rehaul J-bot to specifically act like a total imbecile engineered to give you all the hate and anger to the daily recommended amount by USFDA ? Given that is technically possilbe that is.

2. Add peripherals besides the audio-visuals such as;
    A. one or two gloved fist(s) that will punch you occasionally for anything that sounds annoying to J-bot.

B. a moulded latex face with all the bloody effects when you punch it for a bad reponse, a good response, or a non-response when you are not in a good mood!

3. As for the sex part, I leave it to your imagination in consideration of some members who might take offense; let me just say that the principles of mechanics, materials engineering, and robotics are already there to achieve whatever you desire.

I hope I covered everything. Does that mean we can have world peace now ? :)

Edit: Keeping within one post :)
    @ Psychologists/Pschiatrists/ or people with a bent in that direction:

Your mentioning "inspiration" inspires me.
    To quote one example of an infant/child chimp deprived of a mother, I have heard that the most damaging part is neither nutrition nor bodily warmth, but the stimulus from the mother that a healthy child chimp gets.
    Without that, the child is slow to grow both physically and mentally. There are psycho-somatic problems, low immunity to various diseases, unusually frequent skin problems from nervous scratching and not enough grooming. Extending the chimp experiment to humans may be stretching the logic, but it seems to make some sense.

For humans who're past the infant/child years, that positive stimulus could include inspiration. You've also mentioned finding inner peace, which is more difficult to characterize. But that too can be the source of isnpiration. What do you think can offer enough stimulus or inspiration for humans?

Sports, games, good stories or film, or going to school, finding a job that you like, volunteer work, finding people whom you can relate to, finding a good person of the opposite sex, adventure, exploring the unknown, having a good debate, or listening to good music,....joining a religion you were born into or one that makes most sense to you...um, what can one do to find this good stimulus, inspiration, or inner peace ?
    Last edited by lexico; 27-02-05 at 17:33.

1 year registered

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    I missed the sex part, which prompts me to ask.
    Does that mean "on our Forum," that members hate, get pissed, and have occasional sex ?
    But my foolish question also gives me an idea. Why not have the following ?

1. Rehaul J-bot to specifically act like a total imbecile engineered to give you all the hate and anger to the daily recommended amount by USFDA ? Given that is technically possilbe that is.

2. Add peripherals besides the audio-visuals such as;
    A. one or two gloved fist(s) that will punch you occasionally for anything that sounds annoying to J-bot.

B. a moulded latex face with all the bloody effects when you punch it for a bad reponse, a good response, or a non-response when you are not in a good mood!

3. As for the sex part, I leave it to your imagination in consideration of some members who might take offense; let me just say that the principles of mechanics, materials engineering, and robotics are already there to achieve whatever you desire.

I hope I covered everything. Does that mean we can have world peace now ? :)

Edit: Keeping within one post :)
    @ Psychologists/Pschiatrists/ or people with a bent in that direction:

Your mentioning "inspiration" inspires me.
    To quote one example of an infant/child chimp deprived of a mother, I have heard that the most damaging part is neither nutrition nor bodily warmth, but the stimulus from the mother that a healthy child chimp gets.
    Without that, the child is slow to grow both physically and mentally. There are psycho-somatic problems, low immunity to various diseases, unusually frequent skin problems from nervous scratching and not enough grooming. Extending the chimp experiment to humans may be stretching the logic, but it seems to make some sense.

For humans who're past the infant/child years, that positive stimulus could include inspiration. You've also mentioned finding inner peace, which is more difficult to characterize. But that too can be the source of isnpiration. What do you think can offer enough stimulus or inspiration for humans?

Sports, games, good stories or film, or going to school, finding a job that you like, volunteer work, finding people whom you can relate to, finding a good person of the opposite sex, adventure, exploring the unknown, having a good debate, or listening to good music,....joining a religion you were born into or one that makes most sense to you...um, what can one do to find this good stimulus, inspiration, or inner peace ?
    To many questions, not enough bullets!

Doc

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    To many questions, not enough bullets!

Doc
    Yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda...my tongue is my lance, my words my missiles.
    An evil tongue will make your day! :122: :52: :137:
    And the pen is mightier than the swordfish!

1 year registered

Ethnic group

I'm Jack Slate *****! Oh boy, I'm all worked up for the new Dead to Rights game. Yep, the pen is mighter than the sword, and of course the writing is on the wall.

Doc

Observer of reality Achievements:
    3 months registered

Ethnic group
    Dutch-German-French

Pacifism is impossible; war is a biological necesarrity for mankind.

Populace Achievements:
    3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by S-K View Post
    Pacifism is impossible; war is a biological necesarrity for mankind.
    I agree with you.

Pacifism is possible when our planet will be like Mars.
    No life, no war.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

We are closer than you think. There is no war in Europe, both Americas, Pacific and Australia, most of Asia. Only parts of middle east and parts of Africa with ongoing conflicts, and at the moment there is no fully blown war anywhere, just small battles. At least 5 billion people live in peace now, unheard off! We might be as close as 50 to 100 years to full peace on Earth, maybe not a permanent one yet, but a good beginning.

It will happen thanks to production, education, science, communication, good living. We won't have too many reason to want to go and kill someone in other country.

Populace Achievements:
    3 months registered

war

Cconcurrence, business, globalization, media, films are a kind of war. The war is changing .....
    Life is a war ....

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

hehe, not that easy, you know what that mean, tratatatata, boomboomboom, many dead bodies..........hmmmm, that's like in the film I just watched, so maybe you're right. ;)

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Some day when there will be no faith, race and countries.

Seasonal Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group
    I am citizen of the world, or you could call me Chiwanese

No, throughout history if one group of civilisation was to meet another civilization that was considered inferior, members of the more advance civilisation would always try to invade them, and they still do.

桃李滿天下

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,021
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Blurg!

conflicts arise from a difference of opinion if there is only one then there is peace. BORG!

Banned Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern Russians - Slavonic & Finno-Ugric mixture, but hell it's just my guesses

Globalization makes countries mutually dependent from each other, so yes, total pacifism is possible in the future. But such thing possible only in the multipolar world.

Attachment 4893

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

What do you mean by multipolar? Many centers of power?

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Of course the world will be in peace, this is our destiny...
    That why we invented "democraty", "separation of the state and the church", "diplomacy" or "sport"...if all the countries have these innovations, there will be no reasons to make war and no tyrant will can take the power...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast