Do you belive one day there will be total pacifism?

Do you belive there will be total pasifism?

• yes

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 35 70.0%

• Total voters

TimF

Muffdiver Extraordinaire!
Reaction score
Ethnic group
I am White (non hispanic)
I was talking to this person today and this person thought that oneday the world was going to be a totaly peaceful place and I dissagreed with this person I said as long as there are 2 people on this earth there will always be disputes and fights and this person didnt belive so. So I wanted to turn to the intellectual minds of the Jref forum. And ask you

"Do you think that the world will achieve total pacifisim?"

I would also like to say that the opinions posted here are just that, opinions so take them as such this is a mature thread so lets not get carried away and argue like children. Thank you I am eager to hear your responses.

Do you think that the world will achieve total pacifisim?

No.

We Can't....

even have peace on our own Forum. I don't think humankind can ever live without hate, anger, and ocasional sex.

Frank

:blush:

I don't think it is possible but it wouldn't hurt to try. It's a bit defeatist to say - 'it'll never happen so why bother getting along'. It won't ever happen but it'd be nice to see how close we could get eh?

Voted "yes". There will be total peace when mankind got extinct (or when the universe collapses).

That's an excellent point Bossel. I didn't think of that. :)

well, if we exclude the option of "universe collapsing" (which would be pretty fiery anyway, and moght not be the end...), then no, no way. history would have to end since there would be no war... yadayadayada... oh crap, thats what Karl Marx said... so, no, no peace cause no worldwide communism. :D (appart from no, this post is not meant to be a serious opinion I express :D)

I voted "yes." Why see the glass as half-empty instead of half-full? Now, how soon that could happen in the world is another story ... :winklove:

I dont know if there will be, but there could be. Now, what do we exactly mean by total pacisifism? No more wars ? Sure that is plausable hypothesis. I got the perfect example. Look at Europe and the European Union. Europe is one of the continents that has seen probaply the most wars in history, from the times of greeks until 1999 in the Kosovo bombings. Now look at the EU, all these european countries who once hated each other, were even rivals, some of them, have come all together and forgiven each other because they realized that working together on a something is much better than fighting over it. Germany and france have had bad blood since napoleon, and now look at them, all nice together parading down the EU headquarters in Brussels with their hands in each others back pokets. So, yeah, there could total peace in the world, but i donnu if there will, human nature is a such a b***h sometimes.

nice point duo, globalisation might bring peace... but, there is at least one thing you forgot: civil war, which arises from difference of opinion, and that will persist unless our civilisation goes through an unimaginable makeover. and this makeover will make us unrecognisable. so, we, as we know ourselves, cannot achieve peace.

There is always a way to achieve the impossible; in this case, world peace.

But I think a lot of this question relies on what the meaning of 'total pacifism' would mean.

Well the the way him and i were talking about it was total peace right down to the point that there is no crime anymore. Beacuse like i said as long as there is 2 people on earth there will be diputes and fights and what not. Then this person told me i was wrong. Lets face facts here people total pacifism will never be achieved as long as mankind lives on the planet there will always be dissagreements.

Note: I prolly should have made things a little more clear to bossel lol. :D

I believe that is possible. Not likely with the way humans are evolved now in the way many may be thinking, but still possible.

Provided we A: live long enough to evolve more, or B: live long enough to develop brutal methods of law prevention, thereby acheiving pacifism by force, I think one way or another, it is possible.

There's always a way.

Chamberlein mabye! Also, sure there can be no crimes in the world. Is just a matter of thinking, of education. If you educate someone, the way you want them, you can make them live and think a certain way.

Do you think that the world will achieve total pacifisim?

Not as long as my wife and I are both alive! :D We fight at least once a week!

But seriously, I don't think so. There will always be disagreements over something! That is only natural. No two people will see everything the same way. You see that everyday on these forums. It may not be an all out fight, but just a simple misunderstanding. Person A says something, and Person B takes offense to it because he didn't understand the way it was implied, or he didn't like the tone in which it was said, or maybe he just didn't like the idea that the other person had his own opinion, there are so many little things that tend to set us off for no particular reason. Pretty sad actually! :(

Sure, but total pacifism doesnt mean disagreements. Take Japan for example, the crime rate there is very low compared to other countries.

Duo said:
Sure, but total pacifism doesnt mean disagreements. Take Japan for example, the crime rate there is very low compared to other countries.

That is true, but disagreements lead to more serious forms of fighting. It all starts somewhere! If you believe that the world will someday transform itself into a pacifist state, I'm sorry to say that it will not happen. Without pointing the finger at any one group, there are religious groups that seem to believe that violence is ok...there is always going to be fighting somewhere.

Winter said:
B: live long enough to develop brutal methods of law prevention, thereby acheiving pacifism by force, I think one way or another, it is possible.

I think pacifism by force would only work temporarily. Eventually, it would end up angering more people than anything. If there is to be total pacifism, it is going to have to be voluntarily.

As to wether it will ever happen or not, it would have to be a loooooooooooooong ways away, and would take a lot of evolving. I bet it could happen eventually (unless a less peaceful species from another planet comes to "visit"). Just not anytime soon.

I have little faith in man-kind... It won't happen in a thousand years! (if we don't kill our selves in that time)
When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate eachother.
And when those groups meet, both parts want the other to imitate them/be like them. A conflict is bound to happen...

"None of us is as dumb as all of us" (I love that quote) and dumb people fight because they can't solve things using words, and eradicating those who disagree is the easiest way to become the ones who are 'right'
Mankind needs a world threatening catastrophy to even think about co-operating with eachother :eek:kashii:
But I'm an optimistic person, and a comet can strike earth any day now :happy:

This thread has been viewed 56301 times.

Back