Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Do you lock your doors ?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am from the USA : yes, always (even for 5 min)

10 21.74%
  • I am from the USA : only for longer absence

7 15.22%
  • I am from another Western country : yes, always (even for 5 min)

13 28.26%
  • I am from another Western country : only for longer absence

6 13.04%
  • I am from another country : yes, always (even for 5 min)

8 17.39%
  • I am from another country : only for longer absence

2 4.35%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you lock your doors?

Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

The fact that people in Japan lock their doors even in areas with almost no crime goes against Michael Moore's assertion that Canada is less violent because they are less fearful. I know murders are rare in Japan, and I attribute it to strict gun control, and a culture that emphasizes order and conformity. I could be wrong...

The question still remains as to why in the US are we so violent? (I'm locking my door right now.)

Awesome Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Parents were originally from Mexico

I don't live in a great neighborhood. Heck, it's a hop, skip and a jump from Compton. Ever since I was very little, I remember always having the doors locked, and the windows checked to make sure they were securely locked. I even lock the doors in the car when I'm in it! (You can never be too careful, better safe then sorry.)
    Noy Jitat!

Rep Points : Just Say No

sleep deprived Achievements:
    1 year registered

As a Canadian I have to wonder who exactly he dug up in Bowling for Columbine...mind you he was interviewing people on the opposite coast then where I am from (Vancouver.)

It is true that Canada has a lower crime rate than America, but crime still exists.

We actually had this huge discussion about it in English class, because you see...in Van, almost everybody locks thier doors even if people are home, and I know a few who only lock them if everybody is out. I ALWAYS keep my door locked, my mom has drilled it into me since I was a baby.

Anyway, enough rambling. Yes, I do lock the door when I am in Canada. Here in Japan, I don't. My host family owns a store and I always leave through the store, so there is no need to lock the door (not to mention it would lower business.)

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    50% Japanese(on my dad side), 50%Chinese, khmer (my mom's side)

We always lock are doors, when there's nobody in the house. If I'm home alone I still lock everything. I live in a Suburban area in a private community lots of the houses are gated with alarm systems. People in my neighborhood always trip their own alarm systems by accident and the Insurance just goes up. Keeping your doors locked is good enough. My parents opted out of the alarm system, so our doors always stay locked as much as possible. I don't care how safe my community seems, I don't trust anyone!
    Where a red ribbon and help promote the awareness and prevention of AIDS/HIV

Muffdiver Extraordinaire! Achievements:

Ethnic group
    I am White (non hispanic)

I dont lock my doors for the simple fact we are well secured with out them being locked if you know what i mean. *rolls up sleeves* i mean we are well equiped if anyone ever wanted to break in and yes i do live in the city (Rochester, NY) and all you hear about for the first 45 minnutes of the news is the crime that happened the night before. but i am not worried my father and i are more than capable of dispatching burglars. so we have kept ours unlocked for as long as i can remember. Now if i was ever to wed and have children things might be different not only would i check on them periodically throught the night but i might have some sort of security system and maybe even a dog lol and of course the windows and doors would be locked. but hey thats just me.
    *Cacawate Bodyguard*

*lina inverse fan club member*

Book Geek Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by sabro
    The fact that people in Japan lock their doors even in areas with almost no crime goes against Michael Moore's assertion that Canada is less violent because they are less fearful. I know murders are rare in Japan, and I attribute it to strict gun control, and a culture that emphasizes order and conformity. I could be wrong...

The question still remains as to why in the US are we so violent? (I'm locking my door right now.)
    The US has a massive population, made up of a huge diversity of people living in varing levels of economic states and who have vastly different life outlooks. It is inevitable that your country would have a certain amount of conflict and violence. I have only a "TV" view of the country and I don't really want to make any broad statements based on that!! There seems to be so many extremes, and like in any country there are always people who feel that their problems are everyone elses fault, and react according to that. Maybe everyone eats too much takeaway food! (joke!)
    I just made that up, but am interested on your take!
    Michael Moore, well that was not the smartest assertion. Even in countries with less crime, people still feel frightened, because it is always a possiblity.
    I am really surprised that so many people do not lock their doors.
    I live in Auckland, the biggest city in New Zealand. I always lock the doors and never leave my stuff anywhere in public. I think burglary and theft is pretty common here. When I stayed with my Aunty in the South Island, in a smaller town, she didn't and it freaked me out.

1 year registered

I always lock my doors. I also do it more for the principle of it than actually worrying.

Opening Up Your Future Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Asian

Talking Canadians Rock!

Yes, I was really amazed by Bowling for Columbine, about Americans and Canadians locking the door or not.

Here in Japan, most of doors are locked in metropolitan area. However when you go countryside, most doors are open as there are people coming in and out just to chat or bring some meals they made.

Jacques Rocks! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    German

I live in Canada. The backwoods, or the jungle as I like to call it. And I still lock all the doors and windows. It's just common sense.

...what?!... Achievements:
    1 year registered

I lock the door when I leave the house. But I've heard about people going in through the window right next to you and steal right behind your back without anyone noticing a thing. thrill seekers probably...
    If In Doubt...
    Run And Hide...

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Swedish

We lock the doors at night and when were not at home. The car is unlocked too.

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    flemish

only when noone is at home and at night.
    just to be sure. actually we live in a pretty safe neighbourhood, i accidentally let the garage door open for half a day, and nothing was stolen or missing.

Amateur Beerologist Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Anglo

If you sprinkle a few spent shotgun cartridges around all entrances and pin a note to the door reading "Back from shooting practice in a jiffy', you will not have any trouble (so I'm told).

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

I lock everything except my window when I'm home. I figure if a person is stupid enough to enter through there they can meet EL FISTO GRANDE and look like Mike Tyson all in the same night.

Oh and Tha Rippa that banner is one of the most hilarious things I have seen in my life.

Thrill Seeker Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Korean Canadian

I live in a nice neighbourhood, but I still lock my doors. It's a habit thing.

1 year registered

I keep mine locked as much as possible (sometimes I forget ) because I believe it's best to remove the possibilities of someone intruding.

I live in a city near other alright folk, so if someone used more forceful methods, I do believe the police would at least be notified...
    SegaFans
    Daily Sega news, daily Sega content.

Banned Achievements:

I hear that locks are there to keep honest people honest.

1 year registered

when i lived in canada I usually left the doors unlocked when I was at home, and locked the doors when i went to sleep or left the house though.

Now that Im in the USA I really don't have a choice... as my dorm room's door locks automatically. Ive already locked myself out of my own room 10 times because of the damn auto-locking door >.<

EDIT: lol scary time once though... my house was having probs with its alarm system (we only turned it on at night, and sometimes when we went out for a while), and while I was asleep, the alarm suddenly went off (even though it wasn't activated) becuase it malfunctioned, but didnt wake me. I was the only one home at the time as well.

Anyways.. the cops came, and when they went to the back of the house, they found the back door open (my mom leaves it open for the cats a lot), so they thought someone had broken into the house. So they drawed their pistols just incase, and once one of the cops finally made it up to my room, he hit the door open really hard (which woke me), and I awoke with a gun pointed at my face. I seriously almost shat my pants.

Cheesecake Lover Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Spanish/Asian

Shooot, we lock our doors day and night. Also we have a security system....we use to have a dog in the back yard. The doggie was too nice and end up being taken away. It was so well discipline too, gosh I miss that dog.

1 year registered

I lock my doors. I remember as a kid, not having to do that as much. Changing times. I'm in the DC metro area and its not advisable to leave your door unlocked. We have had a number of people getting into the apartment building posing as maintainenece or what have you. Why make it even easier for them? A friend at work recount a story where someone walked into her house WHILE SHE WAS NAPPING UPSTAIRS. She thought it was her husband coming back early and went downstairs and there he was just walking about the living room looking at stuff. When confronted, he said something about being with the utility company and beat feet. Wtf, right? Changing times. In our culture these days it is not the norm any more to leave our doors unlocked. I saw Michael Moore's movie, I envy the Canadians or any culture where people respect other people.

1 year registered

Why bother? If someone wants in bad enough no lock will stop them.

Lovely Angel Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    "pale"

My boyfriend locks the door whether we're home or not, but if I'm home alone and come in from outside (from going around town or just to take out the trash) I normally lock the downstairs lock (landlord's rule) and leave my lock upstairs undone. My exception is when I get a shower and am alone--EVERYTHING gets locked, then.

1 year registered

I have always locked my doors, not because the fear of getting robbed keeps me up at night, but because why take the chance? Sure, if I always left the doors unlocked, maybe 1000 days would go by and nothing would happen; but all it takes is 1 time for someone to come by, realize the door is unlocked, at which point they might decide to rob your place... and it all could have been preventable with the two seconds it takes to lock the door.

I think that leaving the doors unlocked is an unnecessary risk to take. If anyone's going to come over, they knock or ring the doorbell anyway, so how does having a locked door shut me off of the world (as michael moore says in his movie). I wouldn't want people constantly sneaking up on me from behind in my own home, I rather they knock.

Casual Observer Achievements:
    1 year registered

I live in a rural area near a small city in eastern Iowa. Unlike most of our neighbors, who never lock their houses unless they are going to be away for a few days, We always lock our house, even when we are inside. I suppose that this is just a conditioned behavior from having grown up in a high crime area in Dallas, but I prefer not making it easy for someone to enter our house uninvited.

I am always amused by the public uproar that occurs in the rare instances of break-ins in our area. "How could that happen here?" "We've never had to lock our houses before!!!" Yeah, right; OK, whatever. An ostrich with its head in the sand shouldn't be surprised when its butt gets kicked.

--Bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast