Iraq War -- Illegal? Legal?

Should the Iraq war be considered legally justified?

• yes

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • no

Votes: 58 77.3%

• Total voters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

I do not like war. I do not like unnecessary loss of life. You have to remember, that even the intelligence agencies thought there were WMD's. Of course the question is, why should a country pay for the actions of a group of terrorists.

Depends on one's perspective.

No more illegal than China's occupation and barbaric subjugation of Tibet.
But of course China is a Communist nation, and it's far from hip and trendy for leftists to criticize them.
Not a in thing to do on a college campus.

Was the Turkish invasion of Cyprus and the occupation of the North illegal?
Never hear a peep from the usual "human rights" advocates on this one, either...

Imo, to say every war is illegal is an exaggeration.

What about when one's country is attacked? Germany invaded country after country in the late thirties and early forties, with the expressed intention of conquering perhaps not only all of Europe but beyond? Was England wrong to declare war on Germany? Was America wrong to declare war on Germany?

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. They, like the Germans, wanted to expand their empire. In their case they wanted to conquer all of East and Southeast Asia and on into India if possible. Their biggest competitor for raw materials in the East was the U.S., and so they believed eventually the U.S. might get involved. Therefore, they bombed Hawaii where most of our Pacific fleet and aircraft were located. Was the U.S. wrong to declare war on Japan?

What about wars for independence? Was the U.S., and Mexico and all the South American countries wrong to go to war against England and Spain. Were they wrong not to want to be ruled any longer by extremely distant countries who wanted only cheap raw materials from them and a place to dump their goods, and also taxed the hell out of them for doing absolutely nothing for them?

Illegal and never weapons of mass destruction

There is no such thing as an illegal war, that's a leftist fantasy. Wars are either wrong or right, and this one was wrong. I opposed wars in Libya and Syria because of what happened in Iraq, removing a secular regime for a weak multiparty democracy or Islamist state, or both, for a civil war on top. The only justified war in the Middle East was the one we didn't do, in 1979, and now look where that got us.

yeah, illegal, the US invaded the place without support from UN, NAT(T)O, or me so its bad (im in a hurry)... I loved Annan's responce, it was so good: you could just see he new his answer would start a big ass argument, but he was ready for it...

The first Iraq war was justified, the second one, not! The second one was prompted by the neocons' desire to eliminate a thorn on the side of Israel. While I approve giving Israel military aid, I do not want to fight their wars for them. We are about to enter another one unjustified war to eliminate another thorn on their side.

The first Iraq war was justified, the second one, not! The second one was prompted by the neocons' desire to eliminate a thorn on the side of Israel. While I approve giving Israel military aid, I do not want to fight their wars for them. We are about to enter another one unjustified war to eliminate another thorn on their side.

Was never justified.

I would say a pain in the ass of USA, Iraq was the first country in the world, outside EU that decide to accept and take EΥΡΩ instead of USD.
And yes with Scud Al Saddam he could reach north parts of Israel, but thesemissiles had no accuracy, and easy target for air defence.

The attacks in Libya and Iraq etc, is a strange story, a bad fairytail of dictators, Islamic brotherhood, an organisation, democrracy and Big Mafias Money-wars.
same in Syria,

Notice when Ayatollachs took power in Iran, Saddam was the good boy,
but he become the bad boy when he enter-attack Kuwait,

This thread has been viewed 94163 times.

Back