Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Thousands arrested at RNC.....

Just some dude.... Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    .25 Irish, .25 Finnish, .25 German, .25 Swiss

Thousands arrested at RNC.....

Check this article out if you have time. It is long, but worth the read. It is written by someone who was arrested at the RNC for doing nothing but expressing their opinions, like many other people.

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/2043

It is sad, when in the "Land of the Free", we aren't aloud to express our opinions in a non-violent way.
    Never trust a white man driving a black van, he's just saving all his voodoo for you.

Mike Cash

Quote Originally Posted by cross-platform
    Check this article out if you have time. It is long, but worth the read. It is written by someone who was arrested at the RNC for doing nothing but expressing their opinions, like many other people.

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/2043

It is sad, when in the "Land of the Free", we aren't aloud to express our opinions in a non-violent way.
    "Like many, he wasn't a part of the demonstrations that were taking place but was filming and recording what was happening from a city sidewalk."

Achievements:
    1 year registered

I have been posting a little bit about this over in the "Bush-Bashing" thread ( http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11437 ) and was going to add this over there, but since you started a new thread, I'll just add this here:

* RNC Aftermath: A Look at Undercover Cops, Preemptive Detention and Police Surveillance *

The Republican National Convention has wrapped up, but discussion rages on about some of the tactics the NYPD used in its security operations for the week. We speak with two lawyers working on cases stemming from RNC protests.

Listen/Watch/Read
    http://www.democracynow.org/article..../09/08/1422245

A couple of brief snippets from that report:

DONNA LIEBERMAN: Well, I think that the Deputy Police Chief must not have seen the videos which were aired on TV of hundreds of people being swept up for following the instructions of the police department, as to how they could have a lawful march. That happened across from Ground Zero on Fulton Street with the War Resistors' League demonstration. It happened in Union Square, or off Union Square, on 17th Street where a group of protesters negotiated where do we march lawfully, go on the sidewalk. They went on the sidewalk and boom, they were swept up. That's not to mention the scores of bystanders, maybe hundreds, who were swept up in the indiscriminate sweeps. Those sweeps included bystanders, press people, medics legal observers, and we believe that indeed the police department may have been targeting the green-hatted guild legal observers. Our observers from the New York Civil Liberties Union in the blue caps were not targeted. Only one received a summons that was an utter case of harassment for which we will be filing a complaint. I think we have a lot to investigate here. Indiscriminate arrests is just the tip of the iceberg. We saw a couple of incidents of violence. He must have missed the mopeds, police in plain clothes driving their mopeds into the crowd on Monday night. Then I think the huge story is about the indefinite or the prolonged detention of people who were arrested. The police bragged that they were giving DAT's in virtually all of the cases.

AMY GOODMAN: Desk Appearance Tickets.

DONNA LIEBERMAN: Which is supposed to be the fast track to getting out on a minor offense and it took tons longer, days longer to get out on a DAT, Desk Appearance Ticket, for a disorderly conduct, than it would take on a misdemeanor charge or even a felony charge. And then, of course, there are the conditions at the pier, at Pier 57. The New York Civil Liberties Union has taken a sample of Pier 57 that was brought to us, and we're having it analyzed for toxic chemicals.

MARK STEIER: I have to agree of the chilling effect of the video cameras all up and down the protest areas. Members of the TYRA, which is the videotapes unit of the police department, were not the only ones videotaping. Undercover police were videotaping and teams were actually shadowing a number of protesters using their first names as they passed by, how you are doing, so and so. So, very chilling behavior by the police. I don't know about what Deputy Chief Collins saw, but I can speak for 12 to 16 hours a day on the street having seen arbitrary arrests, arbitrary filming and lawful permitted protests were being filmed extensively.

Last edited by Satori; 22-09-04 at 17:24.

Hentai Koutaishi Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Caucasian

That's very, very sad indeed... once again they're violently raping the people's rights