Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you hate non-developed countries? - Your opinion

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    I obviously didn't take a lot of time with this. There's probably a much stronger correlation between non- or newly emerging democracies (Haiti, Kenya, Nigeria, Myanmar etc) and corrupt governments than the continent they happen to be on.
    Then Miss Apollo should have said something like "I am mostly thinking of some governments in non- or newly-emerging democracies" instead of "I am mostly thinking of some African governments"? Wow, that would make language really easier.
    Fact is, that corruption is rampant in several parts of Africa, I can't really see your problem with mentioning that.

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    Then Miss Apollo should have said something like "I am mostly thinking of some governments in non- or newly-emerging democracies" instead of "I am mostly thinking of some African governments"? Wow, that would make language really easier.
    Fact is, that corruption is rampant in several parts of Africa, I can't really see your problem with mentioning that.
    It isn't wrong or racist or anything, it's just that Africa usually ends up as the symbol for the world's most intractable problems. There's no denying corruption is likely to be more severe or widespread there than any other continent,from the ranks of mid-level civil servants to the private sector onto the highest levels of government. But obviously corruption isn't mostly in Africa, it's in 2/3rds of countries according to that Transparency Intl survey and is strictly a matter of the severe poverty, major wars, and lack of democracy there rather than anything to do with being African per se.

1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    It isn't wrong or racist or anything, it's just that Africa usually ends up as the symbol for the world's most intractable problems.
    I see what you mean, stereotypes are usually a bit problematic. But in this case the core of truth inside that stereotype is so large, that we can actually use it. Although I wouldn't have come up with some African states as prime examples for corruption myself. I probably would have thought of Russia (shared rank 86) in that regard. Simply because that's the country mostly in the news here when it is about corruption.

Examples or stereotypes do not take away the truth that corruption is pretty much everywhere, though.

1 year registered

Yep, Hate is an extremely strong word. I don't understand why a thinking person would 'hate' a developing country, presumably on the basis that it is developing... What I think people hate/dislike are unrepresentative, corrupt, dictatorial governments. Because not only do they make it hard for everyone living in the country, it makes contact with developed countries difficult: and that means not only tourism (=$$) but also business contact and investment. Anyone want to go on a safari in Zimbabwe?

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

now, this really is an offensive thread...

if latin america and africa are non-developed regions is just because we were exploited and sacked by the europeans for centuries. you are responsibles for our current situation. you have no right to hate us. it should be the opposite most likely... and as a matter of fact that's what happens. europeans are still extremely disliked in africa and latin america.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Canek View Post
    now, this really is an offensive thread...

if latin america and africa are non-developed regions is just because we were exploited and sacked by the europeans for centuries. you are responsibles for our current situation. you have no right to hate us. it should be the opposite most likely... and as a matter of fact that's what happens. europeans are still extremely disliked in africa and latin america.
    Hmm... reading through this old thread, it doesn't look like anybody was saying that they hate non-developed countries. In fact, people questioned the question and either said "no" or gave a nuanced response about something they disliked about non-developed countries.

I don't tend to harbor ill will toward any country, per se. Perhaps I dislike some current governments, but I see potential in most countries. I can understand historical antipathy coming from non-developed nations toward Europe, but I question how much relevance it holds today. Europe trades with and gives foreign aid to many of the non-developed nations, after all. The only remaining point of serious contention I see is with regard to recent military action.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

false. europe is still exploiting africa and latin american with their multi-nationals.

they don't want more competition... they want us to be underveloped, so that we can be their puppet.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,021
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

"GRRRR, why won't you develop! You make me so angry!"

That's generally what ever westerner thinks when they get out of bed in the morning. We get up grab the clip board of undeveloped countries and watch the news to see if we can tick any off them off the list. Just saying out loud to ourselves "develop, develop, you kow you want to"

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

i wouldn't have used the world hate, but disdain.

you can make jokes about it edao but you can't argue against this: multinationals from the developed world (esp. usa and spain) have done nothing but exploit all over latin america, our lands, our natural resources, our people... they want us to open our frontiers to their capitals but when we want them to be receptive with our migrants, all they do is make xenophobic laws. what should we feel about that?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by edao View Post
    "GRRRR, why won't you develop! You make me so angry!"

That's generally what ever westerner thinks when they get out of bed in the morning. We get up grab the clip board of undeveloped countries and watch the news to see if we can tick any off them off the list. Just saying out loud to ourselves "develop, develop, you kow you want to"
    Exactly my dream too! Develop, develop, develop quickly.

After sucking dry China by the west, for decades, finally it help them and they are developing quickly now, so is India and rest of far east.

Canek stop whining about the west, ask china, Singapore, S Korea, Hong Kong, Japan how they finally did this. Mind that most of them were colonized too in the past.
    You can do that too, we wish you well.

I thought Chile was quite developed?

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

i wouldn't have used the world hate, but disdain.

you can make jokes about it edao but you can't argue against this: multinationals from the developed world (esp. usa and spain) have done nothing but exploit all over latin america, our lands, our natural resources, our people... they want us to open our frontiers to their capitals but when we want them to be receptive with our migrants, all they do is make xenophobic laws. what should we feel about that?
    Multinationals have done some exploiting of natural resources, certainly, but the primary responsibility for the protection of those falls on the developing countries' governments. It is also the responsibility of the governments to determine whether or not to allow multinationals to operate within their borders, and, not surprisingly, most make the good decision to allow them to. The net effect of multinationals operating and selling products within a country on employment, per capita GDP, and cost of living are almost universally positive. Usually, the criticism of multinationals comes from two directions: either they are supposedly mistreating workers, or they are forcing a dependence on the population. And although abuse of the workforce does occur, it is relatively uncommon, and in almost all cases, the workers are better off than if they had not accepted work with the corporation. Similarly, we find the opposite of dependency theory true--countries that allow multinationals to operate are more likely to generate their own legitimate competitors.

Besides, why would any of this lead to disdain on the end of the developed nations?

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

lebrok, china, india and the rest of asia developed??? there are millions of people in all these countries being exploted by foreign multinationals. don't look only at the economic stats... they don't always show the quality of life and the well-being of a country.

i am not chilean and i don't reside in chile either. i'm just paying a little tribute to a brother country which suffered a terrible catastrophe the past year.

chile has basically the same problem that china (but to a less degree), unfortunatly a lot of chileans have been brainwashed with the "chile is the england of south america" propaganda.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Besides, why would any of this lead to disdain on the end of the developed nations?
    it's not a cause, it's a consequence.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215

Well I agree that the west has exploited Africa and S America for a long time but I also think they themselves need to take some of the blame, as it is their corrupt governments that have allowed the exploitation.

If they want to be taken seriously by the west they need to get rid of any chips on shoulders, stop the whinging and whining, get rid of corruption, get decent governance and start taking responsibilty for themselves instead of blaming everything on others. As has already been pointed out, many in Asia have done it and done it brilliantly, and are well respected for it.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

our goverments can't do anything against more powerful countries... they are forced to accept the capitals of the corrupt multinationals from the developed world

(i explained the case of asia already, i'm not going to repeat again)

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215

No-one is denying that multinationals are corrupt, nor that they exploit but perhaps you should explain exactly how countries are forced to accept them against their will.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

developed countries have more militar and mediatic power than us... nothing more need to be explained.

and then there are the CIA, FBI... and other organizations that act like a mafia group in many cases.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

i am not chilean and i don't reside in chile either. i'm just paying a little tribute to a brother country which suffered a terrible catastrophe the past year.
    Are you from Mexico?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

It has to be our Lenaert!

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

The world is a competitive place. There are limited resources to go round and peope have to compete for them. Each coutry has to take responsibility for its own circumstances, if you are being exploited by someone stop them. If you have put yourself in a position to be exploited you have to take some responsibility for allowing it to happen.

Since the global economic crash western living standards have taken a hit, in Europe governments are trying to balance their finances. What you don't hear alot of is people blaming China or America, you hear people talking about how we need to be more proactive raise our standards, work harder and longer.

At the end of the day it comes down to taking responsibilty for your own destiny, you can stand their and blame everyone for your situation or you can go do something about it.

If you are from Mexico I hear you are experiencing some excellent economic growth as is Brasil. Looks like big corporate exploitation is finally paying off.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

On the note of taking responsibility, it is for this very reason that I think western action in Libya is wrong. Responsibility for the future of Libya is for the Libyans let them pay whatever price they see fit to mould their country as they see fit. The lives and prospertiy of Libyians is not the responsibility of America, France and the UK.

Libyan newsreader brandishes rifle on television

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

economic statics don't show the well-being of a population... you are delusional if you think people in india, brasil or mexico are improving their life quality thanks to capitalism.

if you are being exploited by someone stop them
    read my previous post... is difficulto to stop them when they have the best armies, the most influencial media and organizations like CIA or FBI working in favour of capitalism.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Hey Leneart, how was the standard of living in Aztec or Inca empire? How long the people live on average?
    Oh, not too long by our standards?
    Well, the CIA and FBI must have been busy ruining their lives back then too, lol. Oh, and capitalism too, almost forgot.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

life was hard for eveyone in those times. and obviously nobody by then lived so long as us today.

american imperialism have been messing around in latam for decades: look chile/pinochet, nicaragua, cuba... thousands of innocent dead.

they just have bring pain and poverty to latam. we would be more wealthy without them.

cubans have a better medical coverage than americans. oh yes, but cubans don't have beautiful skycrapers.

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a Z284
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1k

Ethnic group
    Norwegian

"Hatred" or "love" are feelings connected to things I am strongly interested in for some reason. I am with a few exceptions not that interested in countries outside Europe, so why should I want to waste my time hating them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast