"Reputation Points" : RULES

As Far As I Know......

11 green dots seem to be the max no matter how many points you get? I was wondering if there is a reason for 11 being the max displayed?

Frank

:?

Out of curiousity, what is the difference between the dark green and bright green boxes? It seems everybody has a few of each.

Frank D. White said:
11 green dots seem to be the max no matter how many points you get? I was wondering if there is a reason for 11 being the max displayed?

Frank

:?

how many do you want? i can color a couple of extra for you :D:D:D

Hummm???

Dutch Baka said:
how many do you want? i can color a couple of extra for you :D:D:D

1 for each single point of rep would probably blow the server out the window with all the "high rep" members we have here, LOL.

Frank

:blush:

I also noticed that no-one has more than 5 dark/ 6 light. I don't get it. :souka:

i dont know the rep on your avy bit is nothing, what i see in my user cp is where its at, i see peoples comments there, and it seems more constructive that way.

I am not actually sure why rep balls stop at 11 and not 10 or 12. I suppose it depends on how many reputation levels we admins define (19 positive and 5 negative reputation levels at present). It may just be because there is not enough space in the profile area. My rep points are now over 3600 (didn't notice I had cross the 3000 until a few days ago), so I have added one more rep level from 3000 and another one from 4000 (nobody has reached it yet). So far, only Lexico and Mikecash have over 3000 points apart from myself.

Rep bars supposedly shows who is a good poster, who is alright, who is average, who is below average, and who is just plain bad. But after a while, when most people who post regularly have full rep bars, do rep bars show nothing of the differences between the good, alright, average, and sometimes below average posters.

Rep power may be in order then. Rep power is based on seniority (every year adds another rep power), number of contributions to the forum (every 1000 posts is another rep power), and rep recieved (every 100 points is another rep power).

So I've got over 500 points, I've been here less than a year, and I've made less than 1000 posts. My rep power would probably be 5.

Lexico has been here less than a year, he's made over 2000 posts, and we'll just say he's got 3000 points. His rep power would be about 32.

EDIT: That's the way it worked at another forum. It may not be this way though, if Maciamo has the rep power arranged somehow differently.

So, if one member dosn't post too much (he/she doesn't reach 1000 post)
but stayed in forum for 1 year or 2,,he/she still get the rep points,,,?

i've been here for a while look at my rep and posts, rep means nothing because theres others with full rep, so i find i pointless.

Shirahime said:
Not rep points, but rep power. A member may have zero rep points, but still have a rep power of two just cause they have been here a two years (2 years = 2 rep power). Rep power is just the number of points you can positively rep someone. Negative rep worked a bit differently there, it was perhaps two thirds of the rep power.

So saying Lexico's rep power is indeed 32 (2000 posts = +2, 3000 points = 30), he can give you 32 positive rep points, and maybe about 20 negative rep points.

Yup - that system of allocating points has merit. I'm off to try how to figure out how to give points to a people or three right away.

Shirahime said:

Possibly. If people add reputation to that person's old posts, then the reputation will increase, even if that member is not curently active. Reputation power (=the number of points you give others for each vote), is based on how long someone has been member, how many posts they have and their current reputation.

???b?v?|?C???g?D?D?D?????ł????B :souka:

Etto . . . hm.

I like the 'Rep Power' idea just because it makes the whole thing seem more like some sort of RPG-ish adventure game . . .

"Lord Post-a-Lot has gained a level! You have earned 5 skill points and your health increased by 10! Your new level is 'Annihilator of Flamers'! Next level is 1,750 rep points . . . ganbatte!" :emblaugh:

The biggest problem I have here is that it is completely ????, impossible, for me to not want those #@$% green balls now. *sigh* I guess it seems like we can't ask for them, can't try to get them, and dare not pat our friends on the back too much . . . but the whole thing is just so dang arbitrary!!! :auch:

I reiterate, I really like the 'Rep Power' idea. I think time in, number of posts, and other factors that are less arbitrary could really make someone feel like they have a chance of getting somewhere even if they don't post as often as others or maybe are awkward at writing. 'Successful' posters would still get the lion's share of green balls (why not blue? oh . . . um, nevermind :bluush: ), but everyone could at least make progress, and that in turn could be a form of positive encouragement that would move some people to participate even more. As it stands now, you just have to kind of hope that maybe someone not only likes your posts enough but likes you enough to toss some points your way . . .

Am I kind of whining here? :worried: Heck yes! :p I've got enough balls (looks . . . oh, maybe I should just say 'ball, instead, since it appears I only have one :blush: ) to bravely rant my opinion . . . I just hope that it maybe contributes to perfecting this forum and the rep system. :sorry: :bow:

Oops . . . A quick P.S.:

I forgot to mention . . . I am grateful for those who have given me reputation points!!! I am very touched that some of my posts have been so favorably received!!! Please, please, please, do not take my comments concerning how I think the rep point system could be improved as ingratitude for your kindness! I am humbly thankful for your consideration!!!

:sorry: :bow: :sorry: :bow:

kokusu said:
???b?v?|?C???g?D?D?D?????ł????B :souka:

Etto . . . hm.

I like the 'Rep Power' idea just because it makes the whole thing seem more like some sort of RPG-ish adventure game . . .

"Lord Post-a-Lot has gained a level! You have earned 5 skill points and your health increased by 10! Your new level is 'Annihilator of Flamers'! Next level is 1,750 rep points . . . ganbatte!" :emblaugh:

Hey, being an RPG buff myself, I like your analogy. :)

I wouldn't worry about rep points so much. Heck, even negative rep points can sometimes be nice; in one of the favorite quotations threads (I think started by Maciamo) there's this quote that's something along the lines of: it's good to have enemies because it means you've stood up for something (I'm too lazy to look it up- sorry Maciamo!). Just add your inputs into the discussions and you'll be fine, rep points or no. It's not like you're being graded; since this is a forum which promotes intellectual discussions, I like to imagine that most people are naturally disposed to like your posts :)

I think I just got my first bad rep? Not sure, because it came up as a dark blue dot in my user Control Panel (as opposed to green, or red). The person who wrote it said "I think you lack so much in this area !", and it was in regards to this post of mine - http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273038#post273038

Why would I get a bad rep for that post?

A grey dot indicates that the user gave you reputation, but it counted neither positive or negative.

I think this is because the people who gave it too you, doesn't posted that much yet, so he/she dont have the power to give you a green or a red one.

read more in the F.A.Q.

I think it is something like this:

1 - 100 = 1 Dark green
101 - 200 = 2 Dark green
201 - 300 = 3 Dark green
301 - 400 = 4 Dark green
401 - 500 = 5 Dark green

501 - 700 = 5 Dark green, 1 Light green
701 - 900 = 5 Dark green, 2 Light green
901 - 1100 = 5 Dark green, 3 Light green
1101 - 1300 = 5 Dark green, 4 Light green
1301 - 1500 = 5 Dark green, 5 Light green
1501+ = 5 Dark green, 6 Light green

You can't distinguish between someone who has 1501 and someone who has a million.

This thread has been viewed 54514 times.

Back