Question Are you influenced by ads and commercials ?

Are you influenced by TV commercials or other ads ?

• I am a female Westerner => yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other male => yes

• Other female => yes

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Personally, I like watching some commercial on Japanese TV (they are better than any others I have seen, and even surpass the programs themselves), but I am not influenced by them at all. Actually, I hardly remember what product is the ad for.

I hear that many Japanese decide to buy something just because a famous TV host, singer, actress or model was in the commercial. Personally, I am not the slightest bit affected, as I do not see any relationship between that celebrity and me, and even if there was, I know perfectly well that they are just doing their job (and getting a lot of money) for sponsoring a product.

So, I do like some commercials, but they will certainly not influence my choices or make me want to buy the product. The only usefulness of commcercials would be to make me aware of new products which I wouldn't have noticed yet. But again, not make me want to buy it, as they can't create a need if it does not previously exist.

If you feel influenced by TV commercials or other ads, even sometimes (one can hardly be influenced by all ads), vote "yes". If you are never influenced, vote "no".

Note that I have divided the poll by ethnico-cultural group to see if that has an influence or not. East Asian include Japanese, Chinese, Korean and South-East Asians (living there). Westerners mean all Caucasians and other born and raised in Western countries who consider themselves Westerners. All others, choose "Other".

Last edited:
I am into F1 and I must admit I tried both Becks and Warsteiner beers because of thier sponsorship in the sport. But I don't pay attention to commercials on tv and most of the time I don't bother to watch them. So the answer is "sometimes". If it's a product I would probably try anway and it's being advertised in racing then maybee, but other than that no.

I voted no, mainly for the same reasons you listed above. But also because I happen to see through some of the persuasive tactics used in commercials here in the U.S. Some companies have even been caught using subliminals in their advertising, which is not allowed for the most part.

However, the commercials here in the U.S. do get away with using some hypnotic type suggestions and visuals. I guess I see through it because I once studied hypnosis, so I know some of the techniques. For example, one of the ways to temporarily remove the conscious mind (or filter) and gain access to the subconscious mind is to either bore it to death (which is what we usually see in regressive hypnosis, where the hypnotist talks very slowly and counts backwards) or overload it with images. And it's the latter that affects most consumers watching U.S. commercials these days.

Let's use car sales for example. Oftentimes there will be a lot of quick and closeup images flashed across the screen--too fast for the conscious mind to even grasp--and then the ad person will use words that have to do with feelings and sensations, which is what the subconscious mind deals with. They'll say things like, "Just look at the rich leather interior," and "Wouldn't you look great in a car like that?" It's amazing to me the manipulations that are allowed in advertising sometimes! But when you know what's going on, it's easy not to be influenced.

I'm wondering, are most commercials here in the U.S. similar to those you are describing in Japan? I have only seen funny commercials from Japan, which never really gave me an overall knowledge of what they were like.

Satori said:
I'm wondering, are most commercials here in the U.S. similar to those you are describing in Japan? I have only seen funny commercials from Japan, which never really gave me an overall knowledge of what they were like.

No, Japanese commercials are rarely tricky, deeply psychological or subliminal. It's all quite straightforward; funny and stupid (usually food) or classy and elegant (usually cars and cosmetics) or using celebrities and catchy rhyming songs (over half of them).

Jungle Boy said:
I am into F1 and I must admit I tried both Becks and Warsteiner beers because of thier sponsorship in the sport. But I don't pay attention to commercials on tv and most of the time I don't bother to watch them. So the answer is "sometimes". If it's a product I would probably try anway and it's being advertised in racing then maybee, but other than that no.

New guideline : vote "yes" if you are influenced even only sometimes.

Maciamo said:
No, Japanese commercials are rarely tricky, deeply psychological or subliminal. It's all quite straightforward; funny and stupid (usually food) or classy and elegant (usually cars and cosmetics) or using celebrities and catchy rhyming songs (over half of them).

Then it must be the celebrity influence and herd mentality? I seriously don't know. :souka:

They sound like good commercials, though! :) Some of the funny ones I saw many years ago were really hilarious! :p

yup. I've caught myself automatically asuming a product is better just because i've heard the name before several times.

I voted no....it doesn't really affect me since 90% of all the commercials being shown in my country are Crap....

No. I remain indifferent to products and services advertized, and rarely remember ads of any sort (occasionally to my husband's annoyance - I think he's envious of how I can be oblivious to many things, including pedestrians). I'm also aware of subliminal and overt marketing tactics, but am generally cautious with my money and will not make impulse purchases either.

I think they are...afterall, that's the goal of marketingppl ;)...to think and assume you aren't is rather foolish, also eventhough you don't notice you automatically buy stuff you heard of before.Think about it :)...Oh yeah...commercials and ads aren't only on tv...keep that in mind too ;)...so that's my second arguement for the ppl who chose the NO I DON'T !

RockLee said:
I think they are...afterall, that's the goal of marketingppl ;)...to think and assume you aren't is rather foolish, also eventhough you don't notice you automatically buy stuff you heard of before.
Just like Nekosasori I'm pretty careful with my money. I almost never buy brands. Since brands are those for which commercials are made, I can't be influenced very heavily. Hence I voted "no".

But as an afterthought: I have to admit that I'm in a way influenced by advertisements. When I see some stuff which I need (or assume to need in the near future) advertised for a good price by a discounter; I may go there & have a look at it.

I watch the TV ads (especially in Japan) strictly for entertainment. I am never influenced by an add to buy a particular product though. The ad may draw my attention towards the product, but unless I am unhappy with the current product I am using, I am unlikely to switch just because of an ad!

My wife on the other hand (Japanese) is totally drawn in by advertising. She always says stuff like..."it looked so much better in the ad!" and I'm like..."of course it did, do you think they'd show you crap and expect to sell it to you?" :p

edit: If you want to add my wifes vote to your poll feel free since I can only vote once! I am an East-Asian female => yes :wave:

To some small extent, yes. But for the most part, no.
In my first year University, I took this basic English 100 class, and the teacher made us analyze tv and magazine ads for the whole semester. He said this class will change the way you look at advertisements. We had to look into details as to all the appeals of ads, creative, abstract, sexual, etc. Three years later, I still sort of have this analyzing thing going on. I sometimes think to myself, what does Japanese visitors of Hawaii think of this commercial when they see it, and how does it compare to a Japanese commercial, and such things. My ways of looking at ads have changed, and in my opinion, to the non-brainwashed side.

Keiichi

:blush:

Not influenced one bit. If I like something, I'll go buy it no matter the commercial for it, and vice versa. Some time ago, I remember I liked something, but the commercial for it was really braindead... I didn't care and continued buying it.
Commercials here aren't often entertaining... Japanese ones are much better there (if I think of the bouncy "purin" commercial :D )

Not at all. I personally find that commercials are really quite the waste of money. The only time I ever buy something I see on a commercial is if I already wanted it and the commercial tells me where it can be found. Heh.

Of course I was. Commercials and any other advertisements including the writings on products, are meant to influence people's opinions.
I often bought the products just because I liked the way someone was eating it, or seeing the products used by my favorite celebrities made me want to buy them.
Even now when I can watch TV only @ my in-laws' house while they are on vacation, I have bought a pillow that was advertized on the informercial channel.

I have voted in the poll!! Under the category I chose myself as "other female" as I am no 100% westener NOR 100% Asian because I am HALF, MIXED...so I must be "other" right??? :p

ANyway, the answer is: NO, I don't think I am influenced by TV commercials or ads, instead: I am influenced by FASHION. (sadly, I spend much money on matters relating to fashion....)... :relief: Especially clothes....

Absolutely. Being influenced doesn't mean that you are convinced to buy something on the spot, or are somehow hypnotized into unknowingly selecting a product. Advertising also exists to raise consumer awareness. Consciously seeing a product for the first time in any form of advertisement leaves an imprint, and that is most definitely an influence. Persuasion is something else.

I think the most influential commercials for me are for TV shows (time, day), movies (when they open, if it looks good), and food. For weeks now, I've wanted to try Sonic's, based entirely on the fact that they have commercials and I've never had it. Definitely influence me.

Miss_apollo7 said:
I am influenced by FASHION. (sadly, I spend much money on matters relating to fashion....)... :relief: Especially clothes....
Don't worry, that's a problem that's shared by most women :relief:
Especially when it comes to shoes... :mad:

Socks? What about socks? :?

This thread has been viewed 52554 times.

Back