Question Are you influenced by ads and commercials ?

Are you influenced by TV commercials or other ads ?

• I am a female Westerner => yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other male => yes

• Other female => yes

• Total voters
Yes i am affected by advertisement, not so much anymore since i tend to not watch much TV, but if i was going to buy some sort of product i never bought before i would tend to buy the one i've heard of.

The Worst part IS:

All the songs I remember! I might never buy the product, by damn, I remember all the cheesy lyrics/themes like....

-The Golden Grams song
-The Oscar Meyer Weiner song
-Like a Rock.....

I think all the catch phrases, like "Yo Quiero Taco Bell" were covered in another thread. Man, just today I was walking down the hall and found myself whistling the theme to "Tales from the Crypt." Why is it I can't remember what color socks I wore yesterday, but I can remember the theme from a commercial 10 years ago?

:eek2:

Lina Inverse said:
Don't worry, that's a problem that's shared by most women :relief:
Especially when it comes to shoes... :mad:

OH no!! You got me there!! :D Shoes....yes, I must confess that shoes and...clothes in general...:)

The only influence they have on me is a sudden urge to flip the channels. They have the absolute opposite effect on me than they were intended^^

I find it hard to believe that anyone can say no to this.

"Hey, remember that funny commercial about..."

"UGH! I HATE this (insert product here) commercial!"

The point is, you remember them. Take Geico for example. They have great commercials! Everyone remembers the name "Geico". Now try remembering the name of that insurance company whose bland commercial you saw a week ago.

I STILL remember the commercial with the SUV where the two guys pick up the chair, find out it smells, and drop it off again. It's got that annoying "DA DA DA" song playing the whole tiime. I hate the commercial, but I'll remember that SUV has enough room to carry a large lounge chair next time I'm at the car dealer.

nope, no influence from ads or commercials.....they all suck, except of course when it comes to movies, cause im a movie freak, and trailers always get my attention, that is, if its something i would be interested in watching......so i guess in that respect, i am :?

I think it's almost virtually impossible to say you have never been influenced by commercials, that is unless you have never watched a television set ever before in your life. You cannot avoid commercials or any other forms of advertisements (Although Tivo and the new digital "Commercial Free," radio services are making it easier to do such).

It seems there is a misconception that commercials are strictly made to posess you to go out and buy items that you don't really not need. Yes, the fact of the matter is some try to influence you to do that, but many marketing campaigns make you focus and get the consumers familiar with their brands, companies, or services. It is true, there are many commercials that you can't remember the brands of the items (and that is due to the failed product of advertising agencies). However, there are many commercials that you do remember the brand, company, or service that they are offering. In Japan for instance, the "Dou Suru, Aifuru", commercials, you may never even think about investing in this service, but more than likely you remember the name. Also the commercial when you have the group of people in the office dancing to the same choreography, they clap their hands and scream out "Jinro". Boom, this slogan ingrained in your head from there on. In America, if you hear the catch phrase, "Ba da ba ba bah, I'm Lovin' it," more than likely you will know that this is McDonalds. The point is that one aspect of commercials will make you become familiar with the product or service (Like it or not). It might not make you go out and buy the product right away, but maybe sometime in the future you will need to make a purchase of some type of product, and when it comes down to a familiar brand or some unfamiliar brand, which of these are you most likely to pick? Maybe, you are out looking for a place to eat for lunch with your co-workers, you happen to see the sign of this restaurant, and unconsciously a thought flashes in your head, man they had some appealing menu items in that commercial that I saw before. You decide hey fellows, why don't we try here, it looks like they have some good grub.

I think brand loyalists are especially more susceptible to be influenced by commercials. There are people who really love a certain brand, and then all of the sudden, the newest product release of that line comes out. Whether it be clothing, make-up, video games, movies, or DVDs, are you guys telling me you never saw a commercial that inspired you to by a certain product? Say for the Movie fanatics, for example "Kill Bill" has just been put on the shelves, or for the J-poppers, the new "Utada Hikaru" has been released, and for the Gamers, say you see the new commercial for "Halo 2" is out, and you say to yourself, I've got to have that product. Here's another example, you see a commercial for a new addition from your favorite restaurant being showed on TV, you have never said yourself, "mmm that looks good, I might have to try one of those someday."

It's little things like that, which influence your spending habits. Do you want to know why? It's a simple logic that consists of people's wants can never be satisfied, and you will always have an insatiable thirst for new items. That is why companies try to influence you to buy their products, through the uses of commercials, billboards, magazines, radio, internet ads, etc. Although, you might say, oh no, I have never been influenced by a commercial, well you may want to rethink that again....

Hey Japanmaniac, yes I totally agreed with your point, and yes I was pretty thorough with my concepts. I am currently enrolled in an International Marketing class, and thus I felt obliged to make good use of my knowledge through my last post. People may think that domestic marketing may be tough, but International Marketing is a whole nother ball game which requires many intricate details in order to perfect such an implementation of marketing.

Maciamo said:
Personally, I like watching some commercial on Japanese TV (they are better than any others I have seen, and even surpass the programs themselves), but I am not influenced by them at all. Actually, I hardly remember what product is the ad for.
I hear that many Japanese decide to buy something just because a famous TV host, singer, actress or model was in the commercial. Personally, I am not the slightest bit affected, as I do not see any relationship between that celebrity and me, and even if there was, I know perfectly well that they are just doing their job (and getting a lot of money) for sponsoring a product.
So, I do like some commercials, but they will certainly not influence my choices or make me want to buy the product. The only usefulness of commcercials would be to make me aware of new products which I wouldn't have noticed yet. But again, not make me want to buy it, as they can't create a need if it does not previously exist.
If you feel influenced by TV commercials or other ads, even sometimes (one can hardly be influenced by all ads), vote "yes". If you are never influenced, vote "no".
Note that I have divided the poll by ethnico-cultural group to see if that has an influence or not. East Asian include Japanese, Chinese, Korean and South-East Asians (living there). Westerners mean all Caucasians and other born and raised in Western countries who consider themselves Westerners. All others, choose "Other".
Another interesting topic Maciamo! I like most of your topics you come up with!:cool:

I think Taiwanese commercial is much of a copy cat of Japanese commercial, they like to use celebrities to promote their products too! And since these celebrities are like role models for the teenagers out there they are very effective. Teenagers are the biggest spenders on junk, and the easiest to target.!:haihai:

When I was a teen I was much influenced by celebrities that I adored, (I still love my favourite celebrities but I am not that much influenced by them anymore.) Like one time a Chinese Actress from HK I admire made a shampoo commercial in Taiwan, I switched the shampoo brand because of her, but it was a mistake that shampoo was not good; I had dandruffs after so I switched again.:hey:

When I was younger, I also bought a lot of useless things because of the cute attractive anime or celebrities or ?gHello Kitty like?h figures that are used on the commercials. I have even paid a much higher price just to have my pencil case or rulers with those cute things on them! :giggle:

I think that unless one lives in a completely advertisement free world (in which case you wouldn't be reading this) you will definitely be affected by advertising, whether you know it or not. Even if you don't go out and buy a product after seeing an ad, that doesn't stop that company from being in your list of choices, which is the first step. Imagine someone knows absolutely nothing about car insurance, from watching commercials they immediately know their examples are Safe Auto, Geico, Progressive, Allstate, State Farm, and any others I didn't think of within 5 seconds. Sometimes if you see a food commercial, you'll want that food (or a general range of food, like if you see a pizza commercial and think "Italian").
Point is, ads exist for a reason: they work. And unless you're Amish you'll be influenced by them.

Couldn't agree any more with the last poster. Everyone I know who made the claim not being influenced I have proven wrong in my personal life. I find it actually dangerous not being able to see when we are influenced. I am not just talking blatant advertising but all the hidden advertising by sponsors of movies etc. and the in your face marketing on the streets of touristic places where coke pays merchants to be able to display them. All around us there is advertising. And when you are pressed to make a decision on a product to purchase, chances are you instinctively go to whatever advertising convinced you to be most comfortable with unless you have done personal research or gotten some advice from friends.

Consciously no, but subliminal messages influences everybody to an extent. Since people basically grow up on commercials we're basically trained to look away when it comes to critical thinking over emotions.

Western European, female, not influenced by commercials, fashion or celebs. Oh, I see the stuff. Am I going to run out and buy it? Not in this century or the next.

I am not sure if anyone of you are old enough, dad says it was the 40s if I remember what he said correctly, where radio stations in the US were paid by producers to play X song over and over again. Even if X song or Y band was the utter pits. They most likely still do.

But guess what, all it is, is "conditioning". Much like Pavlol's dogs if you hear the "bell" enough then you potentially become conditioned to believe it is actually good. Either good music, good for you, etc.

EOS took advantage of that commercialized conditioning by have celebs endorse their lip balm, for example, and I am sure some stores had it disappearing off the shelves like hot cakes. Likely still do in some areas despite the lawsuits and warnings.

Off topic: When I saw Gaga's country flags, I felt kinda sad. Mods will eventually have to change this. The UK flag shall stand alone.

Off topic: When I saw Gaga's country flags, I felt kinda sad. Mods will eventually have to change this. The UK flag shall stand alone.
What if he voted against Brexit? What if he, and other like him, will bring Britain to Europe again in the future? I think we should be more inclusive and inviting.

The best ads are subtle, if not completely subliminal.

...at least for people like myself (and most likely Maciamo). Maciamo, have you ever been hypnotized? I for one have never been able to be hypnotized. I think some of us are more resistant to suggestion when it's obvious (as opposed to subtle or subliminal).

I would also imagine a constant bombardment of advertisements has a cumulative effect. One ad may not move you to buy. But many ads over days, weeks, months, years? It may influence you more than you think.

Western European, female, not influenced by commercials, fashion or celebs. Oh, I see the stuff. Am I going to run out and buy it? Not in this century or the next.

I am not sure if anyone of you are old enough, dad says it was the 40s if I remember what he said correctly, where radio stations in the US were paid by producers to play X song over and over again. Even if X song or Y band was the utter pits. They most likely still do.

But guess what, all it is, is "conditioning". Much like Pavlol's dogs if you hear the "bell" enough then you potentially become conditioned to believe it is actually good. Either good music, good for you, etc.

EOS took advantage of that commercialized conditioning by have celebs endorse their lip balm, for example, and I am sure some stores had it disappearing off the shelves like hot cakes. Likely still do in some areas despite the lawsuits and warnings.

You know from what I read, Trump's victory is because of classical conditioning, fake news and money.

This thread has been viewed 52556 times.

Back