The new NY World Trade Center

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In pictures ; World Trade Center Plans

What do you think of the projects for the reconstruction of a WTC in New York ?

My favorite design is the one of Foster and partners,

_38606693_two_foster_300ap.jpg

but the Think Team (though useless) and United Architects (a bit too futuristic) are good as well.

Big, bigger, biggest. And a new provocation.

I think American are also looking for an opportunity to build a higher tower that the 400m giant in construction in Shanghai, as their pride and megalomania want them to keep the highest tower on earth.

SO building big buildings is a provocation. Then how come Muslims aren't attacking the Petronas towers in Indonesia? Yes; America can do bad things. Yes; America can act unilaterally, but if you must bash Americas "Pride and Megalomania" at least give a little nod to the good things we have done. America is provocative but we are NOT to blame for ALL of the worlds ills. I am getting sick and tired of being ragged on just because I am American. I really wish we would return to the pre-WW I isolationism we had and watch as the people who scream loudest about our evilness are swallowed in the darkness of facism and religious fundamentalism that would sweep the globe.
Rant over, back to your regular programing

The Petronas Towers are actually in Malaysia and since Malaysia is largely populated by Muslims, it's unlikely to be a target.

The problem with America is the government and mainly George W. Bush. He's got a terribly bad image towards the rest of the world.

Since a little over half of the population of America voted for the clown, it's only natural that that same population gets bashed as well.

I have to agree with Twisted. Most critics of the U.S. are able to differentiate between government and population. What the U.S. administration calls "anti-americanism" is actually deep concern of their arrogant gung-ho policies.

Global Survey Shows Growing Anti-Americanism

Although a majority of Europeans still hold a favorable impression of America, there were sharp drops in Germany (down 17 percent), Great Britain (down eight percent) Poland (down seven percent) and Italy (down six percent).

=> http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/12/6/64838.shtml

Yes; America can act unilaterally, but if you must bash Americas "Pride and Megalomania" at least give a little nod to the good things we have done. America is provocative but we are NOT to blame for ALL of the worlds ills.

America has done a lot a lot of good things, but never without self-interest (no country ever did or does). Also, the effect wears out in the face of current developments.

9-11 obviously hasn't triggered any profound self-reflection in the U.S. What it needs (in computer lingo): scan the disc, then defragment.

brewdude said:
SO building big buildings is a provocation. Then how come Muslims aren't attacking the Petronas towers in Indonesia? Yes; America can do bad things. Yes; America can act unilaterally, but if you must bash Americas "Pride and Megalomania" at least give a little nod to the good things we have done. America is provocative but we are NOT to blame for ALL of the worlds ills. I am getting sick and tired of being ragged on just because I am American. I really wish we would return to the pre-WW I isolationism we had and watch as the people who scream loudest about our evilness are swallowed in the darkness of facism and religious fundamentalism that would sweep the globe.
Rant over, back to your regular programing

Sorry for the harsh words. I didn't mean it as a personal attack on individuals, but rather on the government and system (of course including some people, like Bush, but not all).

Actually, "pride" isn't a bad thing and most countries have at least some. But one can't deny that American politician and military have a exacerbated arrogance and all-mightiness. I wouldn't be too wrong to say megalomaniac when we look back at the number of conflicts the US got involved in since WWII. After winning it in Europe and the Pacific, they have send troops to Japan, Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, about all the Middle-East and South America (the CIA brought Pinochet to power in Chile and supporter other anti-communist pseudo or real dictators elsewhere and still does). Now it wants to control Afghanistan, Pakistan and even some African countries. America befriends the old foes Russia and China, push Eastern European countries to join the NATO and make pressure on the EU to accept Turkey so that it can serve as a base to attack Irak. In other words, they want complete control on the world. If that's not megalomania, what does megalomania mean then ?

That's unfortunate as there are so many valuable and intelligent people in the US; it just seems that they are not interested enough in politics to make the country great as it could be (on an international point of view at least).

This thread has been viewed 7596 times.

Back