Religion In what God(s) do you believe ?

In what God(s) do you believe ? (check all that apply)

• I believe in one almighty God who created the Universe and judge our everyday life

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I believe in one God that created the Universe, but does not interefere with our lives or judge us

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I believe in the indivisible Trinity of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I believe in one Almighty God and saints or other lesser gods

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I believe in many Gods, each with a special attribute (god of love, god of luck, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I am not sure whether God exist or not

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • I am convinced that God does not exist or it is irrelvant for us humans to know

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • I believe in God, but do not belong to any religion

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • I believe in God and have a religion, but I do not practice it regularily

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • I am God. (According to my philosophy.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • God is everything that exist. We are part of it.

Votes: 21 12.5%

• Total voters
I am thankful for thy post Oh wise one, if God existed he/she would have made you a prophet. Yetos the Prophet of the Greeks.

such inspiring cryptic words.

pure Greeks do not have prophets
they have oracles and philosophers
so call me such

That is a 'battle' among different religions.
old and new ones,

old religion
about 1000 mainly Pakistanis celebrating prophets birthday.

new Religion
about 80-100 Football fans of PAOK from Makedonia and Athens who gathered to go to stadium.

the result

the reason for newcasters unknown,
for Police, I still not found a post.
For PAOK fans, 'they attacked us, believing we are a Nazi gathering'
for the pilgrims, still not found a post.

True reason,
none Religion above my own,
no one must yell more more than my God,
either his name is Allah, either his name is Paok.

consider how many Gods exist in Europe,
that is somehing I still like in Europe.
the last place that still gives birth to new ideas, new Gods, etc

personally I haven't heard such a conflict before,
among hools and pilgrims, at least in Europe.

Despite my Nordic handle and affinity for the Norse, and being of Italian-American descent I practice Hinduism (I'm complicated). We tend to see the gods and goddesses as both individuals and as manifestations (as we are) of Brahman, the only reality. There is a mahāvākya (lit. "great saying") from the Vedas that pretty much sums it up: sarvam khalvidam brahma, "all this [we see] is Brahman".

Despite my Nordic handle and affinity for the Norse, and being of Italian-American descent I practice Hinduism (I'm complicated). We tend to see the gods and goddesses as both individuals and as manifestations (as we are) of Brahman, the only reality. There is a mahāvākya (lit. "great saying") from the Vedas that pretty much sums it up: sarvam khalvidam brahma, "all this [we see] is Brahman".

Why on earth would an Italian American have an affinity for the Norse gods? They have nothing to do with you.

If it's something to do with warrior cults and killing, there's plenty of bad behavior among your own ancestors.

Still, not my business, of course.

Last edited:
Why on earth would an Italian American have an affinity for the Norse? They have nothing to do with you.
If it's something to do with warrior cults and killing, there's plenty of bad behavior among your own ancestors.

I venerate Odin and I'm Arabian :) its just that Norse gods have a certain appeal .. for some reason

Why on earth would an Italian American have an affinity for the Norse? They have nothing to do with you.

No, it's a valid question! (y) I have no idea either. :unsure: I just feel drawn to the Norse gods, Thor in particular, whom I include in my religious practice. Pretty much in the same way I feel drawn to the Hindu gods, Hinduism and anything Indian. No, nothing to do with killing. I abhor violence. It's not the oft-thought of "Odinism" and screaming "Valhallaaaaaa!!!" :LOL: But I do wear Mjöllnir and (om) pendants. In fact, having hit a deer the other night and watch it die I was crying like a baby and asking it (and Lord Shiva, lord of animals) for forgiveness. People (Hindu friends) tell me I may have lived as those (Norse, Hindu, and some others) in past lives. We typically hold that we are often reborn as the same sort of being as we were in past lives, to complete some learning or tasks.

I told you I'm complicated! (my family says "weird"). :LOL::LOL::LOL:

No, it's a valid question! (y) I have no idea either. :unsure: I just feel drawn to the Norse gods, Thor in particular, whom I include in my religious practice. Pretty much in the same way I feel drawn to the Hindu gods, Hinduism and anything Indian. No, nothing to do with killing. I abhor violence. It's not the oft-thought of "Odinism" and screaming "Valhallaaaaaa!!!" :LOL: But I do wear Mjöllnir and (om) pendants. In fact, having hit a deer the other night and watch it die I was crying like a baby and asking it (and Lord Shiva, lord of animals) for forgiveness. People (Hindu friends) tell me I may have lived as those (Norse, Hindu, and some others) in past lives. We typically hold that we are often reborn as the same sort of being as we were in past lives, to complete some learning or tasks.

I told you I'm complicated! (my family says "weird"). :LOL::LOL::LOL:
That's ok! I'm glad you're exploring other cultures.

Its good to explore other cultures for a different perspective.

I venerate Odin and I'm Arabian :) its just that Norse gods have a certain appeal .. for some reason

Right!!??

Btw, my comment about screaming "Valhallaaaa!!!" was just a joke. I know there are very serious devotees of the All-Father (he still scares me though). :wink:

That's ok! I'm glad you're exploring other cultures.

Its good to explore other cultures for a different perspective.

Thanks... I think the world might be a happier place if more people did that. :) But that's just my way. :wink:

I understand the appeal to Asgard. Odin gave superpowers to his son Thor, Jehovah instead allowed his son Jesus to be nailed to a Cross.
That’s Lame. [emoji848]
(I must remember this post next time I go to Confession). [emoji6]

I understand the appeal to Asgard. Odin gave superpowers to his son Thor, Jehovah instead allowed his son Jesus to be nailed to a Cross.
That’s Lame. [emoji848]
(I must remember this post next time I go to Confession). [emoji6]
[emoji1] Didn't Jesus show his superpower afterwards?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

I'm sorry, but he just sounds like a combination of Jupiter and maybe Heracles to me, one more variation on the Indo-European thunder and warrior god, a mythology which I don't find very attractive. Only difference is that Jupiter hasn't had Marvel Comics made about him.

If you want to explore other religions, I'd suggest religions with some intellectual and philosophical under-pinning. You could start with a good book on comparative religion or a course at your local college.

This stuff, like the Wicka nonsense, is just religion lite, imo, no offense meant. If you're smart enough to be on this site, which you obviously are, you might find something more profound and evolved will satisfy you more.

If you prefer defunct religions about warriors, Mithras is the one, in my opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

Lets change the subject:

Did you know that most Greek gods don't have a clear Indo-European etymological construction ? It is possible that the Mycenaeans did not bring with them other gods except Zeus, Eos, and the Dioskouroi.

Probably the most well known example is Athena, associated with the city of Athens. The name of the city in ancient Greek is Ἀθῆναι (Athenai), a plural toponym, designating the place where—according to myth—she presided over her sisterhood, the Athenai.

Testimonies from different cities in ancient Greece attest that similar city goddesses were worshipped in other cities and, like Athena, took their names from the cities where they were worshipped. For example, in Mycenae there was a goddess called Mykene, whose sisterhood was known as Mykenai, whereas at Thebes an analogous deity was called Thebe, and the city was known under the plural form Thebai (or Thebes, in English, where the ‘s’ is the plural formation). The name Athenai is likely of Pre-Greek origin because it contains the presumably Pre-Greek morpheme *-ān-.

Plato notes that the citizens of Sais in Egypt worshipped a goddess known as Neith, whom he identifies with Athena. Neith was the ancient Egyptian goddess of war and hunting, who was also associated with weaving; her worship began during the Egyptian Pre-Dynastic period. This imo suggests a common origin in the Neolithic.

Dionysus shares myths with the Etruscan Fufluns, including the story of his birth, which parallels the story of Zeus and Semele. Like that myth, the pregnant Semla is killed by Tinia in the form of lightning bolt, who then continues to bear Fufluns by sewing the infant into his thigh and later giving birth to him. However, Semla continues to appear in artwork in association with an adult Fufluns after her death, indicating either a resurrection or immortalization of his mother.

A number of non-Greek etymologies for Apollo's name have been suggested, The Hittite form Apaliunas (dx-ap-pa-li-u-na-aš) is attested in the Manapa-Tarhunta letter, perhaps related to Hurrian (and certainly the Etruscan) Aplu, a god of plague, in turn likely from Akkadian Aplu Enlil meaning simply "the son of Enlil", a title that was given to the god Nergal, who was linked to Shamash, Babylonian god of the sun.

I should start a thread about this soon :)

I'm sorry, but he just sounds like a combination of Jupiter and maybe Heracles to me, one more variation on the Indo-European thunder and warrior god, a mythology which I don't find very attractive. Only difference is that Jupiter hasn't had Marvel Comics made about him.

If you want to explore other religions, I'd suggest religions with some intellectual and philosophical under-pinning. You could start with a good book on comparative religion or a course at your local college.

This stuff, like the Wicka nonsense, is just religion lite, imo, no offense meant. If you're smart enough to be on this site, which you obviously are, you might find something more profound and evolved will satisfy you more.

If you prefer defunct religions about warriors, Mithras is the one, in my opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

The ancient indigenous pre-Christian religions of Europe e.g. Roman, Greek, Norse, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon are experiencing a serious reconstruction and revival. Iceland is building the first temple to the Norse gods in over 1,000 years. And the temple is big. So this is pretty serious dedication. Wicca is often looked down on as being "made up". But at its heart, it's not unlike any of the truly ancient beliefs mankind has practiced: nature-based, animist, a duality and balance between light/dark, male/female (god/goddess), etc., not unlike the core concept of Taoism (the taijitu, aka the "yin/yang" symbol represents that).

There are those who do say the different gods of the IE pantheons are the same god seen through different cultural lenses, e.g. Thor, Donar, Thunor, Perun, Perkunas, Taranis, Jupiter, Zeus, even Indra. And that may be. Some common elements among them are that they are indeed sky gods and gods of weather. But they are less warriors than they are gods of justice, protection, fertility of the earth, protection of man. There is an Awadhi (a language related to Hindi and Bengali) saying that translates as "God shows himself in a way meaningful to his follower". Another verse, from the Rig Veda says ekam sad vipraa bahudhaa vadanti: "One Truth sages call by many names". That may be as Krishna or Shiva or another Hindu god/dess to a Hindu; Allah to a Muslim; Jesus to a Christian; Thor, Odin, Freyr, Tyr to a Heathen/Ásatrúar; Brighid, Lugh, Taranis to ta Celtic; and so on. I don't know exactly why the pagan religions of pre-Christian Europe are experiencing such a resurgence, or why Hinduism and Buddhism are gaining the followers they are, but they are. Some estimates (maybe overly generous) put the worldwide number of Ásatrúar in the low 10,000s; other forms of Paganism, over 1 million.

Lets change the subject:

Did you know that most Greek gods don't have a clear Indo-European etymological construction ? It is possible that the Mycenaeans did not bring with them other gods except Zeus, Eos, and the Dioskouroi.

Probably the most well known example is Athena, associated with the city of Athens. The name of the city in ancient Greek is Ἀθῆναι (Athenai), a plural toponym, designating the place where—according to myth—she presided over her sisterhood, the Athenai.

Testimonies from different cities in ancient Greece attest that similar city goddesses were worshipped in other cities and, like Athena, took their names from the cities where they were worshipped. For example, in Mycenae there was a goddess called Mykene, whose sisterhood was known as Mykenai, whereas at Thebes an analogous deity was called Thebe, and the city was known under the plural form Thebai (or Thebes, in English, where the ‘s’ is the plural formation). The name Athenai is likely of Pre-Greek origin because it contains the presumably Pre-Greek morpheme *-ān-.

Plato notes that the citizens of Sais in Egypt worshipped a goddess known as Neith, whom he identifies with Athena. Neith was the ancient Egyptian goddess of war and hunting, who was also associated with weaving; her worship began during the Egyptian Pre-Dynastic period. This imo suggests a common origin in the Neolithic.

Dionysus shares myths with the Etruscan Fufluns, including the story of his birth, which parallels the story of Zeus and Semele. Like that myth, the pregnant Semla is killed by Tinia in the form of lightning bolt, who then continues to bear Fufluns by sewing the infant into his thigh and later giving birth to him. However, Semla continues to appear in artwork in association with an adult Fufluns after her death, indicating either a resurrection or immortalization of his mother.

A number of non-Greek etymologies for Apollo's name have been suggested, The Hittite form Apaliunas (dx-ap-pa-li-u-na-aš) is attested in the Manapa-Tarhunta letter, perhaps related to Hurrian (and certainly the Etruscan) Aplu, a god of plague, in turn likely from Akkadian Aplu Enlil meaning simply "the son of Enlil", a title that was given to the god Nergal, who was linked to Shamash, Babylonian god of the sun.

I should start a thread about this soon :)

man
I 'd like to see what you have, :unsure:
I also like cause i may recount :LOL:

Thanks... I think the world might be a happier place if more people did that. :) But that's just my way. :wink:
It was quite the opposite for me. Growing up in a multi-denominational household, listening to other people's beliefs and non-beliefs became exhausting.

I do not know what to believe anymore. God said: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Mt 11:28).

Maybe what I do not understand is how to go to him. In general, the messages given by religions are good, but nowadays, who is able to follow all the precepts and religious laws being a simple citizen of the foot.

I do not understand God and sometimes I think he is a great bastard, but I think he could exist, but it is very difficult to access him, for that reason he used the saints and virgins when one is at the age of existentialist problems, but when I was in front of the image of the Virgin in any chapel or church I prayed but I also started insulting the image (interiorly) with all kinds of insults, besides being praying without too much faith I am insulting a sacred image, but it has not generated a trauma, so be what God wants because I do not understand anything at all about anything.

Anyway, I do believe that I am realizing that when a society abandons religion it gets worse and that society becomes more inhuman, perhaps it feels that it advances more in pecuniary aspects, scientific e.t.c. but atrocities and acts are seen in ordinary people and generalized much worse than when you have a respect and more or less you have a respect for a God or religion.

flying spaghetti monster lulz 1 tru god repent now or 4 eva hold ur peace

Spell God backward, “could it be, that this is the real one ?” [emoji89] [emoji846]
478px-Anubis_standing.svg.png

Anubis : Egyptian God.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 87703 times.

Back