Religion In what God(s) do you believe ?

In what God(s) do you believe ? (check all that apply)

• I believe in one almighty God who created the Universe and judge our everyday life

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I believe in one God that created the Universe, but does not interefere with our lives or judge us

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I believe in the indivisible Trinity of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I believe in one Almighty God and saints or other lesser gods

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I believe in many Gods, each with a special attribute (god of love, god of luck, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I am not sure whether God exist or not

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • I am convinced that God does not exist or it is irrelvant for us humans to know

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • I believe in God, but do not belong to any religion

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • I believe in God and have a religion, but I do not practice it regularily

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • I am God. (According to my philosophy.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • God is everything that exist. We are part of it.

Votes: 21 12.5%

• Total voters
canadian_kor said:
Takes more faith to believe in non-God than God.

You know, I've heard of circular logic, but never 'run-into-a-brick-wall logic'.

It takes an absence of faith to not believe in something onmipresent like the Goddess or a god, you confused Canadian. :blush:

Winter said:
You know, I've heard of circular logic, but never 'run-into-a-brick-wall logic'.

It takes an absence of faith to not believe in something onmipresent like the Goddess or a god, you confused Canadian. :blush:
I agree with the confused canadian. but sure, have it your way. add a confused swede to the list.

People have always turned to gods to explain what they couldn't explain. If you believe that there is no God, you have to put your faith in the fact that even though I can not explain it right now, there is a reasonable explanation to it. Takes alot of faith when everyone tells you it's the work of "God". That they already have the answer.

well, if the worlds leading particle physisists cant explain why we are here, i refuse to believe that their is "no" reason. i have studied both sides of the story, science wants us to believe that first, there was nothing, surrounded by "nothingness", and then, a big bang, and "poomph" there waseverything. religion would have us believe that the universe as we know it was created by an all powerfull intellect beyond our grasp of realism.
i dont buy the part about first there was nothing, and then there was everything. i think there is something much larger in the picture, and although i could never understand it, i have faith that we are not here for nothing. compare yourself to every other creature on earth. if you tell me we evolved from apes, thats fine, we probably did, but where did the apes come from, where did the one-celled organisms at the bottom of the ocean near the volcanic vents come from. if you are talking about christianity or catholocism my point is, the roman catholic church, has over the centuries done its best to turn tragedy into terror. and create a ruling class royal family. jerks. and re-write many chapters in the bible to their liking. many ppl who have never read a bible from front to back cannot in fairness speculate upon the motives, of the diety in question. like buddha said when asked about the "christ" figure in the east, he replied "how would i know, i wasnt there." the idea that everything we know came out of nowhere, (and im not talking about the big bang, im talking about why the big bang happened to begin with) is an even farther reach for me, than to believe that god created it. for instance, a lot of ppl believe in ghosts and magic. ive never seen a ghost, or any magic, but i believe they exist to some extent. over 80% of the world is religious, my point is, they are religious for a reason. i believe in both science and god.
i believe both of them have valid arguments. but i do not believe that science will ever provide us with a "why". i think that only god can tell us that, and science can only tell us "how". i do not believe in the conventional views of god, like i said, i think it an "it". but i do believe it exists.

until maybe "aliens" show up and show us all how it happened, and im inclined to believe thats not so far off the chain either....hhmmmmmm :?

babar-san said:
religion would have us believe that the universe as we know it was created by an all powerfull intellect beyond our grasp of realism.
i dont buy the part about first there was nothing, and then there was everything.

Not every belief system is like that, you know.

And most people here seem to be stuck in the mindset that the Supreme is here to dictate our lives; again, not every belief system dictates that idea.

I noticed that you didn't have anything for you believe in God, but a different one than the God we think of. Myself, I believe in a God and Goddess who exist in everything and are simply the collected spirits (I'm still thinking about this spiritually).

I would have checked that I believe in multiple gods (two) but I think you are being sterotypical a little. I don't think they represent different things, but instead they are just like peices of a puzzle.

Anyways, it would be nice if you added a "I believe in a God and Goddess" box for those of us who are Wiccan, etc.

Nice idea, by the way! :)

Winter said:
Not every belief system is like that, you know.

And most people here seem to be stuck in the mindset that the Supreme is here to dictate our lives; again, not every belief system dictates that idea.

thats why i mentioned buddha. but if you are talking about the 3 major world religions, hindi, islam, and christianity, then what i said applies. of course not "every" belief system believes that way, hell, my ancestors were druids, and i hold onto some of that tradition. but dictating? depends on what religion your speaking of. if its christianity then no, we were given free will to do whatever we like, and believe in whatever we like. having a choice. that doesnt sound like a dictatership to me.

Get the stick out of your ass man, you knew what I was talking about.

Winter said:
Get the stick out of your ass man, you knew what I was talking about.

what part of what i said offended you? sorry, but it looks like the one with a stick in her ass is you :wave: do yourself a favor and do your homework, and actually, your reply was sorta vague, so, no, i didnt know what you were talking about. be a little more specific next time :balloon:

Science has never argued that at first there was nothing. There was never "nothing". The universe has always been.

ive never read a astrology book that said there was a universe before the big bang, its only speculation that there was, not theory, because theres no way to prove it. but ive read plenty of physics and astrology books that argue that b4 the big bang, our dimension was void space. "nothingness" - http://www.mkaku.org/

babar-san said:
ive never read a astrology book that said there was a universe before the big bang, its only speculation that there was, not theory, because theres no way to prove it. but ive read plenty of physics and astrology books that argue that b4 the big bang, our dimension was void space. "nothingness" - http://www.mkaku.org/
I hope, you read astronomy books, not astrology!
But obviously you misunderstood a lot of what you read, anyway (or read the wrong books). When you say that "science wants us to believe that first, there was nothing, surrounded by "nothingness", and then, a big bang, and "poomph" there waseverything", you're simply wrong.

Science is not a religion, I haven't heard of any dogma which states the above. There may be individual scientists who adhere to such an idea as if it is a religion, but that's not really scientific.
If you would have read the right stuff you'd know that this is just one of many ideas surrounding the Big Bang. There is enough evidence to be quite sure something like the Big Bang happened, but what came before & other details are still open to discussion.

Thanks, Bossel. That's pretty much what I was going to say. Science implies no belief, in fact it attempts to avoid any dogma or faith. There are certainly dogmatic scientists, but that's not what science is about. From the standpoint of science, there is no conflict at all with religion. The conflict arises when religious people find their reality tunnels threatened by the things that current scientifc theories imply.

babar-san said:
what part of what i said offended you? sorry, but it looks like the one with a stick in her ass is you :wave: do yourself a favor and do your homework, and actually, your reply was sorta vague, so, no, i didnt know what you were talking about. be a little more specific next time :balloon:

Yeah, deep thoughts Mr. Marx.

Anyway, who's offended? You didnt hurt my feelings.

And for future reference, next time you're going to make an attempt to insult me, could you be a little more creative? Vomitting the same remark made to you back at me just isnt fun to read.

babar-san said:

1. lol @ "astrology"

2. I've never read any book that states or attempts to state that there was nothing in existence before the big bang. As you probably know from your books, time slows down as one approaches an object of great mass. The greater the mass of the object, the more time slows. Now try to imagine the mass of the pre-big bang universe crammed into an object the size of the earth. As one approached that object, time would pretty much cease to exist. The concepts of "before" and "forever" pretty much go out the window.

But it is hard to think about things without the concept of time because it flies in the face of all of one's prior conceptualizations of the way things work. It doesn't completely negate the need for a god to explain origin, but it's at least something.

Science implies no belief, in fact it attempts to avoid any dogma or faith. There are certainly dogmatic scientists, but that's not what science is about. From the standpoint of science, there is no conflict at all with religion. The conflict arises when religious people find their reality tunnels threatened by the things that current scientifc theories imply.

word.

And remember, the only answer is 42, so long and thanks for all the fish.

:blush:

eyea, sorry bout that, meant "cosmology" lol, i think you are taking things out of context guys. if science does not imply belief, then why does it exist? science is the persuit of truth, through practical explanation. that implies that if something is true, it can be believed in, if not, why try to prove it? i deffinately understand everything ive read, from string theory, to m theory, to membranes, and the theory of everything. (an actual theory) if you have not, i would recommend it. until then, dont berate me for making a typo. and yes, CICATRIZ ESP, there has absolutely been an estimation of the age of teh known universe. you said the universe has always been, if that is true, why do todays experts believe it to be in the neighborhood of 13 billion yrs old? pin-pointing the origins of our universe original and largest gamma bursts? to say that there was a universe b4 our own, applying the theory that the universe expands and contracts, is still hypothetical, and has never been solid theory, because we will never see our own contract, it is still expanding, and will continue to do so for untold millenia.
bossel, i did not mean in any way that there is any dogma surrounding science, simply, ppl believe what they read, especially when it comes from experts in a field like particle physics. and i understand it just fine. again, you have taken what i have said out of context.
WINTER, nor was i trying to insult you any more than offend you, but you are obviously uptight, and insulted me first, so, if you want to trade blows, we can do that too. but then again, arguing with a crystal magic, bark-eating femanist, pagan wanna be trendy dirt merchant would be beneath me. so hats off to you mrs. mulligan:) i was studying paganism, (including wicca) druidism, ritual magic, demonology, satanism, the triple goddess, gaian mind set philosophy, the occult, and christianity while you were going through puberty, so please, for the sake of rationalism, drop the attitude, its really un-becoming and un necessary.

Last edited:
december said:
I'm a Baptist... but I wouldn't call myself a good Christian cause I have sinned. Oh, how I have sinned....
Christians aren't perfect just forgiven! God bless!

This thread has been viewed 87712 times.

Back