Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: In what God(s) do you believe ? (check all that apply)

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe in one almighty God who created the Universe and judge our everyday life

    24 15.58%
  • I believe in one God that created the Universe, but does not interefere with our lives or judge us

    8 5.19%
  • I believe in the indivisible Trinity of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost

    20 12.99%
  • I believe in one Almighty God and saints or other lesser gods

    3 1.95%
  • I believe in many Gods, each with a special attribute (god of love, god of luck, etc.)

    7 4.55%
  • I am not sure whether God exist or not

    31 20.13%
  • I am convinced that God does not exist or it is irrelvant for us humans to know

    42 27.27%
  • I believe in God, but do not belong to any religion

    11 7.14%
  • I believe in God and have a religion, but I do not practice it regularily

    12 7.79%
  • I am God. (According to my philosophy.)

    10 6.49%
  • God is everything that exist. We are part of it.

    20 12.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 205

Thread: In what God(s) do you believe ?

  1. #101
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England





    Who said God is a benevolent being? The God of the OT can be a very cruel God against those who don't follow it. It suffers from vanity: Exodus 22:20 Whoever sacrifices to any God, other than the Lord alone,shall be devoted to destruction; Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God. Partial to the odd bit of Genocide, read Judges and Kings for the wars of Jewish conquest. Lots of slaughter all the people of the town. The God portrayed in the NT is slightly better. More love and forgivness than fire, brimstone and punishment

  2. #102
    Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-04-04
    Posts
    1,720


    Country: United States



    Carrot and a stick?

  3. #103
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by sabro
    Carrot and a stick?
    Which do you prefer?

  4. #104
    Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-04-04
    Posts
    1,720


    Country: United States



    Chocolate.

  5. #105
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    28-07-05
    Posts
    601


    Country: Japan



    Awhhhh...come on now guys, you're just messing with us. We all know that what comes on a stick, and is edible, and is sweet, is a roasted marshmellow !!

  6. #106
    Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-04-04
    Posts
    1,720


    Country: United States



    LOL (pictures God with a long white beard and a tremendous marshmallow on a gigantic stick.)

  7. #107
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    31-10-05
    Location
    Tilburg
    Posts
    65


    Ethnic group
    Dutch from Indonesia
    Country: Netherlands



    I am a Catholic. But to me Nature is my God.
    I love the Oceans, the trees, the mountains, the smile on the face of a baby, the colours of the flowers, the blue sky ( not often in Holland) the wonderful landscapes, the colourful birds. I admire the thunderstorms ( from far away), the wild animals, or the high sea waves.
    I love the sounds that bring me beautiful music

    I love what Nature brings me on my plate, and I love CHOCOLATE.

  8. #108
    Azzuro Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    12-01-06
    Location
    near Frankfurt
    Posts
    59


    Ethnic group
    Half german half english
    Country: Germany



    I do believe "God" exists and I think he isnt a judge or doesnt interfer ,I think he just sets our spectrum of options to choose from.
    Kommunism is like Carneval in Cologne everyone is drunk an no one works...

  9. #109
    The sheriff Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-06-04
    Location
    Grantham
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46


    Ethnic group
    japanese and korean and american
    Country: United Kingdom



    "I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of."

  10. #110
    The Lazarus Heart Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Japanimaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-10-04
    Location
    USA - Maryland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31


    Ethnic group
    Caucasian
    Country: United States



    Very well put, Jack. Or...whoever said that.
    ~*~ Gackt - Lust For Blood ~*~
    If it'll make this pain in my heart go away
    Just kill me already
    Don't make a sad face
    I'd like for at least you to smile
    At least in the end

    ...My friend made me open a Myspace account. Check it out...

  11. #111
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    himagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-10-11
    Location
    Samaria, Michigan
    Posts
    89
    Points
    1,913
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,913, Level: 12
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    Germanic
    Country: USA - Michigan



    The "Big Bang" is God. That is how everything was created.

  12. #112
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,696
    Points
    697,304
    Level
    100
    Points: 697,304, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by himagain View Post
    The "Big Bang" is God. That is how everything was created.
    Apparently I am one of the few Atheists who believe that the Big Bang was only the start of our microcosm* in the infinity of the Universe. For me the Big Bang was no more the beginning of the Universe than the fission of an atom. It was just an explosion on a different scale.

    * microcosm because everything is tiny compared to infinity. From this point of view the only macrocosm that exists is the whole Universe itself.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  13. #113
    Banned Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    07-09-11
    Posts
    891
    Points
    6,887
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,887, Level: 24
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    Quote Originally Posted by himagain View Post
    The "Big Bang" is God. That is how everything was created.
    Did the Big Bang have a cause? :)

  14. #114
    all are one Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Chevalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-07-12
    Posts
    6
    Points
    447
    Level
    4
    Points: 447, Level: 4
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Turkmen
    Country: Iran



    I am new member and excuse me if I'm saying this,
    but isn't this a philosophy section of forum? shouldn't people philosophize instead of ... well we need some mods around to standardize the place...

    anyway, I believe in god as whole.
    actually instead that selfish genes theory I believe in nature as producers of us for guarding and spreading it.
    think! we are evolved through Millenniums, from apes, from mammals.
    we are bound by limits earth, or precisely nature, have put on us. we need oxygen, water and food to live. almost all of them can only be found in what nature's products. nature itself is seem like a living whole organism.
    we are chosen one... by nature. evolved, given intellect, thus with it free will.
    what's was purpose of nature? to be its wardens.
    to protect it: once we know that no matter how advanced we become we're still vulnerable to it, we will realize that nature is our god.
    god is nature, nature is god. perhaps god is lot more "whole"-er than that, a cosmos itself, yet for understanding it this would suffice.
    god itself is an outer and last layer of sphere, we can only a one level layer above named nature.
    then we would not make our technologies hurt nature, instead we try to be greener, more wary of negative impacts of our products, since we know without it there is no life.
    not only we guard, but we are like bees, can spread it to other planets.
    yes, plant seeds, make nature grow on with us anywhere, we are tied to together.
    though we are still far away from understanding required to reach such point.
    we are still at dark age of the "protection" section. we are learning that our negative activities (in environmental sense) have consequences for nature.
    in fact, for us, if we want to survive...for nature, it's nothing, nothing changes, there would be period of recovering for earth -what we call Apocalypse for ourselves- it can even make another thing evolve and take us place, or we become tougher by withstanding that period and came off even stronger, even more suitable wardens for nature.

    there's still lot left unsaid, hope I brought some originality to thread for a philosophical section.

  15. #115
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    zanipolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-11
    Posts
    2,073
    Points
    22,792
    Level
    46
    Points: 22,792, Level: 46
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4o

    Ethnic group
    Down Under
    Country: Australia



    The question should be .........How many gods are there.
    -If there is only one God, then all religions pray to that one God and so its just plain stupidy that people change religions. Basically anyone who changes religion , does not know religion.

    -If there is more than one God, then the ancients ( Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Norse etc etc ) where correct and then that means modern religion is a farce.

    take your pick
    Father's Mtdna H95a1
    Grandfather Mtdna T2b24
    Great Grandfather Mtdna T1a1e
    GMother paternal side YDna R1b-S8172
    Mother's YDna R1a-Z282

  16. #116
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    24-03-12
    Posts
    119
    Points
    6,400
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,400, Level: 23
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2f

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    You resurrected an ancient thread, Chevalier, but whatever.

    When people think of "God" they think of the Abrahamic God - the God of the Jews, Christians and Muslims. Now that God, I think, is very unlikely to exist (this is a huge issue but I'm happy to say why if asked). And in that sense, I'm an atheist.

    But God, in some other abstract way, may or may not exist. I don't know. Maybe there really exists a kind of a spaghetti monster. In that sense, I am an agnostic though, it should be noted, in that sense I'm agnostic about everything (fairies, orcs, etc).

  17. #117
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Riccardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-03-11
    Posts
    220
    Points
    3,663
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,663, Level: 17
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Italy



    I think that "God does not exist" and "or it is irrelevant" shouldn't stay in the same answer.

  18. #118
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Riccardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-03-11
    Posts
    220
    Points
    3,663
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,663, Level: 17
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Italy



    Anyhow I'm a non-conventional atheist.

    I mean that the question is wrong. It shouldn't be "Does God exist or not?" or "In what God do you believe?", but the most correct and precise one should be: "is God a human idea?".
    I think yes. I think that God is something "created by men for men". That is because we have to find a sense to everything, expecially our existence. It's shared and "more confortable" an idea of a beginning and an end, of a creation, of a sense.
    Everybody ask what there will be after death, but what about before birth? I think the human mind is too linear and too unable to understand the possibility of an universe without sense, beginning and end. Just existence and transformation. That's why God and more widely spirituality is something we accept as a possibility in order to exorcise our doubts. Because it is something that combines the whole mankind.
    If you believe in something, there's no doubt that this perspective is something that unifies everybody, believers and non-believers. That's why I think it's a concept created by humans for humans. Because only humans have this necessity, as much as we know.
    I think that the endless universe may have endless form of existences, lifes, thoughts, etc. that a simple and a just human God is not possible. If we don't accept that God is a human concept than the question will always be open and faith will dominate on reason. If we think that God is something too big for us I think we are wrong in the perspective of the discussion.

  19. #119
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,329
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Does Universe need sense of existence? Can't it just be? Same with life and human existence. Maybe we just live without a reason, trapped in constant recycling of what we call life, to make next generation, next generation, next generation, etc.
    Till humans developed nervous system (brain) to ask existential questions, for 5 billions years nobody on this planet cared if god or gods existed, or why universe exists. Looks like this is the norm, and possibly everything exists without a reason, purpose, goal or need. It's just happened.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  20. #120
    Personage Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Amory Blaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-09-12
    Posts
    13
    Points
    278
    Level
    3
    Points: 278, Level: 3
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Finnish
    Country: USA - Minnesota



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Well, my religion is exceedingly complicated. I was raised Christian (Methodist), then I was atheist, and now I'm neither. I would say I switch between atheist, agnostic and something that is closest to Platonic realism which I call Refinement...it just depends. Agnostic is usually what I tell people, but I'm far more ambivalent in regard to religion than that term implies. Its almost like Orwell's doublethink.

  21. #121
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,583
    Points
    16,916
    Level
    39
    Points: 16,916, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 71.0%


    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    I can not vote no choice, I believe that God is a woman.

  22. #122
    all are one Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Chevalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-07-12
    Posts
    6
    Points
    447
    Level
    4
    Points: 447, Level: 4
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Turkmen
    Country: Iran



    I think the human mind is too linear and too unable to understand the possibility of an universe without sense, beginning and end. Just existence and transformation. That's why God and more widely spirituality is something we accept as a possibility in order to exorcise our doubts. Because it is something that combines the whole mankind.
    what you said can be used against your saying;
    so isn't that also indicates that we are too far away from understanding god?
    we can't really say anything about what god exactly IS. we can't point, "hey! there is the god! look over there." as we can't as well say exactly there isn't any god cause that requires proof too.
    so we can't neither say there is and isn't any god.
    the problem is, questions emphasizes directly/indirectly on existence of god. if god creates, so isn't existence is a concept made from god? so god is chained by "existence"? (...or better, even than god topic, isn't "existence" a human idea?)
    how narrow our views are, god always thought as a person, as a king of all kings, as someone who happened to be first exist in world before anyone... but no one says it is perhaps collective unconsciousness (or better more precisely, conscious whole intelligence).
    haven't heard of possible worlds? worlds! each world with their own logic. we can see lots of possibilities, beyond our comprehension.
    we humans don't know anything ourselves yet, not the world nor universe...yet we easily judge about something greater than us. think, can a 4 year old infant judge his parents well? (assuming his parents are logical, compassionate people)

    That's why I think it's a concept created by humans for humans. Because only humans have this necessity, as much as we know.
    because,as you said yourself, we are the only creature on earth who can think!


    Till humans developed nervous system (brain) to ask existential questions, for 5 billions years nobody on this planet cared if god or gods existed, or why universe exists. Looks like this is the norm, and possibly everything exists without a reason, purpose, goal or need. It's just happened.
    why is it that someone who believes should provide evidence?
    tell me, why do you believe world made pointless? just why? assertion doesn't do any good.
    and believers doesn't say that they know everything so to be get bombarded by critiques to be proved otherwise; they just believe in god, it do not requires much intelligence, yet it is personal journey for anyone to understand god, since god is for everyone.
    do you think god is a king? what? who gives orders, looks down on us? I think not. since we assume he is wisest, and therefore most compassionate (by Socrates philosophy puts virtue and knowledge are one; thank japs for their proverb as it says "virtue and knowledge are like two wheels of a cart.") ...so... imagine....would you portray compassionate as someone who gives no attention, no love, no care about you? since its our creator isn't it capable of look for us all? if you say about "evils" in this world, we already know it's from human mind, and world don't really see "evil" for itself.
    but does that mean we should deny "evil"??? no, we are emotional creatures and emotions thought to be one of the greatest achievement of evolution life on earth has gone through. we know "evil" hurts us, and we know there is NO ESCAPING from emotions, in fact, ALL our judgment and reasoning based on emotions.
    that's why Socrates says ethics should be our main concern.
    and we know there isn't "ethic" out there, but it's from humans, and still most necessary thing we need nowadays.
    so same goes with god, if we believe that god is of human mind.



    and they didn't cared because they couldn't think back then! answered by your own statement.

    and this also means why should we compare ourselves to animals? so animals don't debate about gods (if they could "debate" about anything at all!!!) so we must? so do we also compare other aspects with animals? isn't naming people after animals taboo and negative? so do we promote some male people act as "alpha"s and most of our female bow before them??? is this what human being want? I think not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I can not vote no choice, I believe that God is a woman.
    though you said it for fun, you, by coincidence, hit on the spot. anyone can think of god as anything as they still know and aware that god isn't limited by anything.
    why not? it's of literature. it helps being emotionally closer to it. and I'm sure SHE wouldn't mind...I thought of it as a woman once.


    debates like this goes on and on in internet, and my answers can't never satisfy anybody that I know.
    people still believe what they want to believe and do what they want to do, unless words came from their on mind or they are truth seeker and so sensitive to it that they can sense words of wisdom to be convinced.

    truly, look around ourselves.
    we humans are suspect to err and do it all the times. there isn't any perfection in us but ... why don't people use the same words they use against unfathomable god on themselves too?

    isn't most of our miseries because of our own negative minds? why does world seems purposeless when exactly it is you who sees life pointless. and in most of our debates we are biased and backgrounds do really matter.
    someone who hasn't been within religion doesn't know anything about it and difference of religion should be looked as difference of race looked upon.

    religions, all, meant to do us good, yet, some vicious people abused them...same goes with politics, economy and such. isn't economy making wars today like religion did in past?
    there would be always religion. there is no reasons to think idealistic, so instead of killing what can not be killed, let's try to rationalize our way and give better meaning out of it.

    I'm not religious, mind you. religious people call me atheist for my radical belief because I deal with philosophy of religion (the real business and core inside of it) instead of traditions of religion (which is superficial and influenced by cultures of believers).... same goes with atheists, they call me religious because I believe in god, yet they haven't been deep to religion themselves to get exactly what I am into.

    I said those above so you can get some background about me. this is important on seeing things through another perspective and getting whole points. it's base of empathy, rationality and the whole main thing required in today world.
    ...if only just humans could try to understand each other!

    sorry for some typos, since I'm not regular member I can't edit anything. in other words, your concerns should be on context not words.
    and I would like to see people philosophize in real sense in this thread, not just give opinion without good reason. (perhaps I should have joined a philosophy forum?... I really need a good talker here)

  23. #123
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,583
    Points
    16,916
    Level
    39
    Points: 16,916, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 71.0%


    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    Chevalier


    Originally Posted by Carlos
    I can not vote no choice, I believe that God is a woman.



    though you said it for fun, you, by coincidence, hit on the spot. anyone can think of god as anything as they still know and aware that god isn't limited by anything.
    why not? it's of literature. it helps being emotionally closer to it. and I'm sure SHE wouldn't mind...I thought of it as a woman once.

    I'm serious, I have a Goddess. God is a woman, I did not know it until I started writing in a writing workshop as a teenager and made the statement after the years ended in another course of screenwriting and there on my first screenplay to be the first own things really are coming when God was a character out openly and a woman, all this was subconsciously because I realized years later the meaning.

    Now I devote myself to photography and rose at any time, if not out already and I still have not noticed, I'm sure she is a woman.

  24. #124
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,198
    Points
    39,935
    Level
    61
    Points: 39,935, Level: 61
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    God is the ultimate that a human can do in his life,
    God has humans face and body,
    god has a job,
    and protects its job, its family, and his supporters,

    I like Poseidon Zeus and Hephastθs (Ποσειδων, Ζευ-Διας Ηφαιστος) due to the studies and the life i choose to make.
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  25. #125
    Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    16-11-12
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3
    Points
    2,860
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,860, Level: 15
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    I don't know if there are any gods, but I strongly suspect there aren't any.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •