Religion In what God(s) do you believe ?

In what God(s) do you believe ? (check all that apply)

• I believe in one almighty God who created the Universe and judge our everyday life

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I believe in one God that created the Universe, but does not interefere with our lives or judge us

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I believe in the indivisible Trinity of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I believe in one Almighty God and saints or other lesser gods

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I believe in many Gods, each with a special attribute (god of love, god of luck, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I am not sure whether God exist or not

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • I am convinced that God does not exist or it is irrelvant for us humans to know

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • I believe in God, but do not belong to any religion

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • I believe in God and have a religion, but I do not practice it regularily

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • I am God. (According to my philosophy.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • God is everything that exist. We are part of it.

Votes: 21 12.5%

• Total voters
Who said God is a benevolent being? The God of the OT can be a very cruel God against those who don't follow it. It suffers from vanity: Exodus 22:20 Whoever sacrifices to any God, other than the Lord alone,shall be devoted to destruction; Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God. Partial to the odd bit of Genocide, read Judges and Kings for the wars of Jewish conquest. Lots of slaughter all the people of the town. The God portrayed in the NT is slightly better. More love and forgivness than fire, brimstone and punishment

Awhhhh...come on now guys, you're just messing with us. We all know that what comes on a stick, and is edible, and is sweet, is a roasted marshmellow !!

LOL (pictures God with a long white beard and a tremendous marshmallow on a gigantic stick.)

I am a Catholic. But to me Nature is my God.
I love the Oceans, the trees, the mountains, the smile on the face of a baby, the colours of the flowers, the blue sky ( not often in Holland) the wonderful landscapes, the colourful birds. I admire the thunderstorms ( from far away), the wild animals, or the high sea waves.
I love the sounds that bring me beautiful music

I love what Nature brings me on my plate, and I love CHOCOLATE.

I do believe "God" exists and I think he isn?t a judge or doesn?t interfer ,I think he just sets our spectrum of options to choose from.

"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of."

The "Big Bang" is God. That is how everything was created.

Apparently I am one of the few Atheists who believe that the Big Bang was only the start of our microcosm* in the infinity of the Universe. For me the Big Bang was no more the beginning of the Universe than the fission of an atom. It was just an explosion on a different scale.

* microcosm because everything is tiny compared to infinity. From this point of view the only macrocosm that exists is the whole Universe itself.

I am new member and excuse me if I'm saying this,
but isn't this a philosophy section of forum? shouldn't people philosophize instead of ... well we need some mods around to standardize the place...

anyway, I believe in god as whole.
actually instead that selfish genes theory I believe in nature as producers of us for guarding and spreading it.
think! we are evolved through Millenniums, from apes, from mammals.
we are bound by limits earth, or precisely nature, have put on us. we need oxygen, water and food to live. almost all of them can only be found in what nature's products. nature itself is seem like a living whole organism.
we are chosen one... by nature. evolved, given intellect, thus with it free will.
what's was purpose of nature? to be its wardens.
to protect it: once we know that no matter how advanced we become we're still vulnerable to it, we will realize that nature is our god.
god is nature, nature is god. perhaps god is lot more "whole"-er than that, a cosmos itself, yet for understanding it this would suffice.
god itself is an outer and last layer of sphere, we can only a one level layer above named nature.
then we would not make our technologies hurt nature, instead we try to be greener, more wary of negative impacts of our products, since we know without it there is no life.
not only we guard, but we are like bees, can spread it to other planets.
yes, plant seeds, make nature grow on with us anywhere, we are tied to together.
though we are still far away from understanding required to reach such point.
we are still at dark age of the "protection" section. we are learning that our negative activities (in environmental sense) have consequences for nature.
in fact, for us, if we want to survive...for nature, it's nothing, nothing changes, there would be period of recovering for earth -what we call Apocalypse for ourselves- it can even make another thing evolve and take us place, or we become tougher by withstanding that period and came off even stronger, even more suitable wardens for nature.

there's still lot left unsaid, hope I brought some originality to thread for a philosophical section.

The question should be .........How many gods are there.
-If there is only one God, then all religions pray to that one God and so its just plain stupidy that people change religions. Basically anyone who changes religion , does not know religion.

-If there is more than one God, then the ancients ( Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Norse etc etc ) where correct and then that means modern religion is a farce.

take your pick

You resurrected an ancient thread, Chevalier, but whatever.

When people think of "God" they think of the Abrahamic God - the God of the Jews, Christians and Muslims. Now that God, I think, is very unlikely to exist (this is a huge issue but I'm happy to say why if asked). And in that sense, I'm an atheist.

But God, in some other abstract way, may or may not exist. I don't know. Maybe there really exists a kind of a spaghetti monster. In that sense, I am an agnostic though, it should be noted, in that sense I'm agnostic about everything (fairies, orcs, etc).

I think that "God does not exist" and "or it is irrelevant" shouldn't stay in the same answer.

Anyhow I'm a non-conventional atheist.

I mean that the question is wrong. It shouldn't be "Does God exist or not?" or "In what God do you believe?", but the most correct and precise one should be: "is God a human idea?".
I think yes. I think that God is something "created by men for men". That is because we have to find a sense to everything, expecially our existence. It's shared and "more confortable" an idea of a beginning and an end, of a creation, of a sense.
Everybody ask what there will be after death, but what about before birth? I think the human mind is too linear and too unable to understand the possibility of an universe without sense, beginning and end. Just existence and transformation. That's why God and more widely spirituality is something we accept as a possibility in order to exorcise our doubts. Because it is something that combines the whole mankind.
If you believe in something, there's no doubt that this perspective is something that unifies everybody, believers and non-believers. That's why I think it's a concept created by humans for humans. Because only humans have this necessity, as much as we know.
I think that the endless universe may have endless form of existences, lifes, thoughts, etc. that a simple and a just human God is not possible. If we don't accept that God is a human concept than the question will always be open and faith will dominate on reason. If we think that God is something too big for us I think we are wrong in the perspective of the discussion.

Does Universe need sense of existence? Can't it just be? Same with life and human existence. Maybe we just live without a reason, trapped in constant recycling of what we call life, to make next generation, next generation, next generation, etc.
Till humans developed nervous system (brain) to ask existential questions, for 5 billions years nobody on this planet cared if god or gods existed, or why universe exists. Looks like this is the norm, and possibly everything exists without a reason, purpose, goal or need. It's just happened.

Well, my religion is exceedingly complicated. I was raised Christian (Methodist), then I was atheist, and now I'm neither. I would say I switch between atheist, agnostic and something that is closest to Platonic realism which I call Refinement...it just depends. Agnostic is usually what I tell people, but I'm far more ambivalent in regard to religion than that term implies. Its almost like Orwell's doublethink.

This thread has been viewed 88744 times.

Back