Religion In what God(s) do you believe ?

In what God(s) do you believe ? (check all that apply)

• I believe in one almighty God who created the Universe and judge our everyday life

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I believe in one God that created the Universe, but does not interefere with our lives or judge us

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I believe in the indivisible Trinity of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I believe in one Almighty God and saints or other lesser gods

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I believe in many Gods, each with a special attribute (god of love, god of luck, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I am not sure whether God exist or not

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • I am convinced that God does not exist or it is irrelvant for us humans to know

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • I believe in God, but do not belong to any religion

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • I believe in God and have a religion, but I do not practice it regularily

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • I am God. (According to my philosophy.)

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • God is everything that exist. We are part of it.

Votes: 21 12.5%

• Total voters
The question is hard to answer because different people mean different things by "God". And that's perhaps the best reason why my most straightforward answer to the straightforward question is "no".

To expand slightly, let me just apply my usual rant: the question of whether something "exists" is universally irrelevant. It's not even logically well-formed: "exists X" is a syntax error in logic. To be well formed it has to have a structure like "Does there exist an X such that X does thus-and-such?" People strip the question down to "Does X exist" only when they can't agree on any thus-and-such.

It implies that they're so desperate to continue to believe in X that they're willing to give up any actual properties of X. Or worse, play silly games where they think they can get from "OK, X exists, therefore it's the kind of X I think it is." That's vacuous and useless.

So a slightly less straightforward answer is "I have no reason to care whether it exists or not." People who insist that it must matter to me always, every time, universally end up making it in the form of an unprovable assertion, a form of argument so transparently invalid as to make me certain they will never say anything of value to me.

I dont believe to the images/icons or the views...
but how else to show it.
Let say/write/image it;
just as...

" Π "

"Αεί Θεός γεωμετρεί " ΠΛΑΤΩΝ
Timeless God (practising) geometry.

Hey, I am not good at maths... -God please, forgive me! :disappointed:

Is the god of the Bible the same as the god of the gospels?

Before moslem began ~600AD.......90% of Arabs where pagans

Why do they hate pagans so much ?

So they hate pagans because they are still pagan ..

such Logic .. such rigour ..

It is so hard to think a little?
They obviously want to be seen as not pagans.

It is like with some people, who being for example
Jews, very much want to be Europeans, and as a
underlining their supposeable native europeanness,
they ostentatiously dislakie Jews - much more than
exrteem non-jews - even hate them... so such logic.

Before moslem began ~600AD.......90% of Arabs where pagans

Why do they hate pagans so much ?

Watch to movie Agora, answer the question why the christian hate pagans, then you will find the answer.

To get back to Maciamo's original inquiry, my answer : somewhere in between some of the options given.
God was a word first given to what men could not understand, the Great Mystery around them that baffled them. As I view things, it should have remained that.
I never could bring myself to believe in the "oriental tales" the three monotheistic religions are grounded in. Yet those two lines by Voltaire get some echo deep inside me :
"L'univers m'interroge, et je ne puis songer
Que cette horloge existe et n'ait pas d'horloger."
The universe baffles me, and I can't imagine
That this clock might exist without a clockmaker.
It came as a surprise when I once heard a world-famous atheist astrophysicist explain on TV that after years of research, what he was left with at the end of the road was the suspicion that perhaps, behind the great cosmic show, there was some sort of "designer".
So I am some sort of sceptic/deist/pantheist.
And I think that when it comes to religion we should restrict ourselves to convictions, not certainties.
People with convictions will try to win you over with words.
People with certainties will try to win you over with words first, then blackmail (eg: eternity in hell), then a knife under your throat.
Whatever the Maker, Soul, Breath of Life of the universe can be, I guess we should refrain from trying to give it a face, a voice, or moral preoccupations. We should humbly stick to what we know, and we know nothing.
Morals are a strictly human concern, certainly beneficial to all, but aimed primarily at "efficiency", peaceful coexistence, smooth social relationships. Moral codes would have (and probably had) emerged even without the support of any religious dogma. We men didn't need the assistance of religion to devise the Highway Code.
I like those two lines from an old song by French singer Georges Brassens. They sum up my own "gospel" :
"Gloire à qui n'ayant pas d'idéal sacro-saint / Se borne à ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins."
(Gory be to those who - having no holy ideal - / Stick to not pissing off their neighbours too much.)

I don't bother with something I'll never be able to grasp and I don't have to give it a name. If the universe is a clock and there has to be a clockmaker, how did the clockmaker come to existence? We can go back in causality forever. It's similar to explanation how did the life on earth start. A lot of people would say that it came from the universe, they don't believe in the primordial soup theory. OK, than where and how did it start in the universe? The beginning has to be somewhere...if it's not independently in different locations, but than the question is still how? This reasoning shifts only the explanation somewhere further but it doesn't ultimatively answer the question.

Another thing is why does God usually have to be a personification of a human? The universe is vast, does he or she have to look like someone from a line of apes (or primates if you will)? Why are the Gods mostly he or she? Does he or she accordingly have chromosomes?

I don't want to offend anyone. I myself have no doubts. The outcome of the tonight's football match will certainly not depend on anyone's prayers.

I was very religious, at the age of 15 I became very knowledgeable in the Quran and Hadiths, I went to the Mosque for all five prayers, my soul was at peace. As for why I became an Atheist, there were many arguments, doubt started with my interest in comparative mythology and religion, and was finished off by an interest in Science, I realised the conflict between the supposed word of God, and the supposed creation of God, the conclusion was that God didn't talk to Muhammad, didn't talk to any human, the Quran is of human agency.

Atheist in Saudi could be dangerous if you're too loud about it, I was careful, but somehow most of my friends knew, no one cared, I discovered that two of them were actually Atheists.

My little brother also turned Atheist, independently :) he was keeping it a secret for about a year.

The thing I still don't get is that whenever I'm sick or in a dire situation I unconsciously start praying to God, deep down I still love God, a contradiction, maybe a leftover from the old system.

Last edited:
In the past i was more religious and went to church every Sunday but as I got older i was really thinking if God does exist or not. Well right now im not religious just chilling, but who knows hey!!!

I believe in God but not in any religious institute

I was very religious, at the age of 15 I became very knowledgeable in the Quran and Hadiths, I went to the Mosque for all five prayers, my soul was at peace. As for why I became an Atheist, there were many arguments, doubt started with my interest in comparative mythology and religion, and was finished off by an interest in Science, I realised the conflict between the supposed word of God, and the supposed creation of God, the conclusion was that God didn't talk to Muhammad, didn't talk to any human, the Quran is of human agency.

Atheist in Saudi could be dangerous if you're too loud about it, I was careful, but somehow most of my friends knew, no one cared, I discovered that two of them were actually Atheists.

My little brother also turned Atheist, independently :) he was keeping it a secret for about a year.

The thing I still don't get is that whenever I'm sick or in a dire situation I unconsciously start praying to God, deep down I still love God, a contradiction, maybe a leftover from the old system.

That is a good point,
so the same thing that make you Atheist,
the same thing spoke to through Prophets,
the same thing is God or plenty of Gods,

In Greek it called ΛΟΓΟΣ logos
in rough English trnsaltion is called common logic,
but Logos is different to every human,
according their fears and their needs,
and which is above? Logos or survival,

your next steps with science-Logos
is to choose, the law, or the free spirit,

at the end you will distinguish the multi-world
the multi-characters
the multi-needs
the multi-pleasures
the multi-thinking
and you will give your own names to these Gods,

Wellcome back to 'free' man Logos.

That is a good point,
so the same thing that make you Atheist,
the same thing spoke to through Prophets,
the same thing is God or plenty of Gods,
In Greek it called ΛΟΓΟΣ logos
in rough English trnsaltion is called common logic,
but Logos is different to every human,
according their fears and their needs,
and which is above? Logos or survival,
your next steps with science-Logos
is to choose, the law, or the free spirit,
at the end you will distinguish the multi-world
the multi-characters
the multi-needs
the multi-pleasures
the multi-thinking
and you will give your own names to these Gods,
Wellcome back to 'free' man Logos.
I am thankful for thy post Oh wise one, if God existed he/she would have made you a prophet. Yetos the Prophet of the Greeks.

such inspiring cryptic words.

This thread has been viewed 87964 times.

Back