Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of homosexuality and gay marriage(choose all that apply to you) ?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homosexuality is unnatural and a sin and should be criminalized (not just marriage)

7 5.34%
  • Homosexuality is unnatural and a sin and gay marriage or civil unions shouldn't be allowed

10 7.63%
  • Gay marriages shouldn't be allowed, but civil unions are ok

8 6.11%
  • I don't mind gays but gay marriage should not be allowed as it'd change the meaning of marriage

16 12.21%
  • Homosexuality cannot be seen as immoral as it is inborn and not a matter of personal choice

29 22.14%
  • I strongly dislike gays, but think they should have the same rights as anybody else

0 0%
  • I'm a bit uneasy about gays, but gay rights should be protected in a free society

14 10.69%
  • I feel comfortable with gays and think gays should have the exact same rights as anybody

79 60.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of homosexuality (and gay marriage) ?

Gag me with a spoon Achievements:
    1 year registered

I still dont understand that. It seems like there is nothing but positive medical outcomes to be acheived through working with those procedures. People dont like it just because they dont want to admit an embryo isnt a fully developed human or something?

Envious of Nabeshin's Fro Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Burns if left in sun

Yes - it generally requires the destruction of the non-viable embryo, which some people equate with the murder of a human being.

Gag me with a spoon Achievements:
    1 year registered

Considering an undeveloped embryo as a complete human is a bit extreme. But if thats the case, then why the frell do we still have the death penalty for fully developed humans?

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Burns if left in sun

That's a good question. It's difficult for me to understand how you can be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time. My wife says that it's either pro-unborn human or pro-unconvicted potential republican voter.

Many of the same people who call themselves pro-life have no problem with the US having killed tens of thousands (100,000+?) of civilians in Iraq.

カメハメ波! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    Considering an undeveloped embryo as a complete human is a bit extreme. But if thats the case, then why the frell do we still have the death penalty for fully developed humans?
    The fully developed humans have had a chance to do what they will with their lives, and if they decided that they could kill others, then they should be dealt with in the same way. The unborn hasn't had a chance to do anything, so it should be left alone to develop and make its own path in life.

*Note* This is an explanation of what some people see as the difference, not necessarily my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CC1
    Some people say that being gay is not a matter of choice...Does this mean that many gay people are saying that "I don't want to be gay, I would rather be straight, but I can't help it!"???
    I would say "yes." One of the managers at my work is gay, and he has said that he would rather be straight, or so I have heard.

Co-owner: Jovesca Records Achievements:
    1 year registered

Yup, there are lots of people who would change it if they could. Me? I'm happy with it - sure life would be a little less complicated if I were straight, but it's no biggie. And it's good for freaking people out sometimes.
    The biggest problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume that you're pretentious.

カメハメ波! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

That's why everybody loves jovi!! (Sorry for the bad rip-off... )

By the way, I love the sig, jovi!

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Marriage in a religious context should not be redefined for homosexual unions. I do believe that civil unions should be legalized with all the secular rights that a "marriage" has. Leave the word "marriage" within the religious domain. Should a partner be able to visit their significant other in the hospital? Yes. Should they get spousal benefits? Yes. I don't know, I think that we are starting to focus too much on the word "marriage" and ignoring the concept. 2 people love each other and want to commit to each other for the rest of their lives? They should not be denied.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Fantt
    Many of the same people who call themselves pro-life have no problem with the US having killed tens of thousands (100,000+?) of civilians in Iraq.
    But Iraqi are not White American Protestant, so they are not qualified as human or even life being, are they ?
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

ohayo otaku:) Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasian

i say more power to um:)
    I JUST SHOT SMACK INTO BOTH MY EYEBALLS, WHOOOAAAHHH!!!!!, BLAAARGGGG.....

Kyo is my GOD Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    CHINESE

i support gays all the way

~(^~^)~AYA is pure sugar. ~(^~^)~

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Japan; England; Hungary; Italy; Ireland

I have no problem with homosexuals as long as they leave me alone (in regards to non-platonic things). I'm not a homophobe, but I don't want gay guys hitting on me, and I hate when people think such a mindset is homophobia. If I hit on a pretty woman at a club and she's repulsed, does that mean she's a lesbian? No, of course not.

Anyway, homosexuality doesn't infringe upon anyone's rights or civil liberties. I see no problem with it.

Casual Observer Achievements:
    1 year registered

The vehement opposition to legal recognition of commited gay/lesbian couples as being married really baffles me. I don't think that letting them be legally recognized as being married in any way diminishes the validity or the sanctity of my heterosexual marriage or any heterosexual marriage for that matter.

Furthermore, the idea of ammending the Constitution to prohibit homosexual marriages is something that I find to be morally reprehensible. I say this because by doing so, we would be altering a document that was conceived and built upon the ideals of guaranteeing personal liberty to all Americans in such a way that it would deny liberty to some of the very people whom it is suppose to protect. In my humble opinion, if we as a nation, deny liberty to a few, then the very ideal of liberty becomes tarnished for us all.

--Bob

RAMEN LOVER! SUGOI!!! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    White

Hey guys!! Sorry I didn't have time to read everyone's posts before me. I will when I get time. I think most know how I feel already, because of ummm... other threads and stuff. Just wanted to vote. I like to be active in the forums!! ^_^

Ja
    [email protected] -- please email me sometime (^o^)

yum!

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    ^^;

this is a bit off subject but:

The thing with stem cells is, as I remember it, that they can become any type of human cell. In that case, it's not defined that a baby will develop out of the cells, it could just as well become muscle or bone. I remember seeing one documentary where they injected stem cells into a man's heart who had somekind of a heart disease and the stem cells developed into healthy muscle and he didn't need an operation. Isn't it by far a more natural way of curing someone than taking drugs or having massive surgery?

Back to gays ^^;
    At least I'm certainly more accepting of Japanese men, for instance, relaxing after a grueling day, who giggle and playfully touch each other than I would be for Americans....
    That's really interesting I take it that you're not Japanese? In that sense it's maybe not very surprising but interesting nonetheless.

My ex-flatmate had a gay friend and he was the collest person you could ever think of :) Also one of the coolest clubs I've ever been to was a gay club - not because it would've been somehow really diffrent superficially, the athmosphere was just really relaxed. I went there to see a drag show with my friends (we're not gay) and also because we hadn't been to a gay club before and it was a really positive experience. Not to even mention the show, it was really great ;)

Maybe the current trend through media is also getting more and more positive towards gays because after "Sex and the City" became such a hit, all the women's magazines have since featured a "gay best friend"

The Funky Homosapien. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Cape Verden/Canadian/Mixes

America, land of opportunity, mirages and camouflages - more than usually
    Speakin loudly, sayin nothin, you confusin me, you losin me
    Your game is twisted, want me enlisted - in your usary
    Foolishly, most men join the ranks cluelessly
    Buffoonishly accept the deception, believe the perception

Ooh, i'm a green belt. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    アメリカ人

yeah, that will show them. Making them register for something... ok..

btw.. Run DMC is never ever old school.
    :124:Want to learn how to lockpick?:124:

"Watch Me Kill" by GG Allin is the best song in the world.

Jacques Rocks! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    German

I think that religion and politics don't mix. It's none of the governments business who you, I or anyone else marries. I hardly think it's fair that the government uses the christian religion and it's 'values' and imposes thier beliefs over a entire multicultural country. I fully support gay marriage.

The Funky Homosapien. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Cape Verden/Canadian/Mixes

I don't see why it isn't working.. But..Try This and tell me if it works.

Fallen Angel Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Hispanic

I don't mind gays..a lot of my friends are gay or bi...and I think that they are born that way and that it wasn't their decision..I do want them to have the same right as everyone else, but I feel it might bring too many problems among religious groups,etc..

Jacques Rocks! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Camui
    I don't mind gays..a lot of my friends are gay or bi...and I think that they are born that way and that it wasn't their decision..I do want them to have the same right as everyone else, but I feel it might bring too many problems among religious groups,etc..
    So what? It's a free country. Let them deal with it. If I want to marry another human being should I really have to worry about what some religious zealot thinks? Should anyone have to stop and think "hmmm, how will my life affect religion" before doing what makes them happy? I don't think so. But if you do then I guess that's your opinion.

Co-owner: Jovesca Records Achievements:
    1 year registered

Yup KoT, that second link worked. Good news! Go Ottawa.

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Burns if left in sun

I still want to know why people have such a big hang-up about choice and homosexuality. As a gay person, jovi, do you think it's important within the gay community for people to view homosexuality as something you're just born with?

I personally think that the whole choice thing is something to make some people feel more comfortable about homosexuality. If it's something you're born with, it's like a disease. You don't blame a child with cerebral palsy for being that way - they just are. You can't force such a child to be healed. On the other hand, if some people choose to be gay then they can choose not to be, and coercion can be used to force the issue. I think many people are more comfortable "knowing" that there's nothing that can be done about homosexuality.

Personally, I think that sexual orientation is not a simple on/off switch. In very paternalist societies (early to mid-20th century Germany, parts of today's muslim-majority countries and even feudal Japan) homosexuality is very common. Yet, many of these men who have homosexual relationships with each other would very vocally deny that they are gay. I remember hearing about the proxy homosexual sex that members of the taliban practiced which the local mullahs wouldn't condemn because they didn't consider it to be "technically" homosexuality. I think many samurai had homosexual relations with younger (or more effeminate looking) men. One of my wifes friends (a guy from the Phillipines) was nearly gang raped in Saudi Arabia by a group of young men. When women are portrayed as being little more than disgusting, horrible slaves and/or baby factories it's no wonder than men choose not to have sex with them.

Similarly, bisexuals show that sexual orientation isn't just a black and white issue. A couple (male and female) that I knew in college tried to recruit me for a sexual three-some because they thought I was gay, and the guy was bisexual. He figured I might swing both ways as well.

I would guess that homosexuality is a choice for some people, and for other's it's as much a choice as it is for men who get off on women with big feet or watching women step on things or men who like dirty women (literally covered in mud or flour or whatever). Adolescence is a time of extreme sexual imprint vulnerability. It doesn't take much - an experience here, a random encounter there, to swing a person one direction or another. Most of us (men) are genetically programmed to find heaving bossoms, thin waists and nice rounded posteriors to be attractive. Fortunately for nature, at the time we are most vulnerable to sexual imprinting, all the girls our age are showing these features as well as society bombarding us with images of sexy women. I'm sure that many gay men go through a similar process of sexual imprintation.

Either way, whether or not homosexuality is a choice seems to be irrelevant to me.

Pink Lady's Number 1 Fan! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African-American

I have no problem whatsoever with gays or gay marriage. People are people, regardless of their seuxal orientation and deserve to live their lives in whatever way they see fit, and thus are deserving of the same rights as heterosexuals have (and often abuse).

It's the bible thumpers in their relentless zealotry who have made this such a hot button issue, practicing intolerance, even open hatred in some cases towards their fellow man, and all because some stupid book tells them to. I guess that the part which talks about "love thy brother" only applies if said brother was straight. Everyone else is out in the cold.

And of course, politicans are in bed with the bible thumpers because they need their votes, so they agree with the misogyny if it'll keep them in office, feeding gleefully from the public trough for another term. And of course, neither wants to discuss the fact that heterosexuals have done far more to wreck the so-called institution of marriage than gays ever will.

Like I said, people are people, be they gay or straight, and all of us deserve to be happy.
    "It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

No Longer a Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Native American

Quote Originally Posted by flashjeff
    It's the bible thumpers in their relentless zealotry who have made this such a hot button issue, practicing intolerance, even open hatred in some cases towards their fellow man, and all because some stupid book tells them to. I guess that the part which talks about "love thy brother" only applies if said brother was straight. Everyone else is out in the cold.
    Well, if you wished that to sway a Christian, you have essentially just lost the intended audience with a "all because a stupid book tells them to". That may be your feeling, but it is never a good way to reason with anyone, to attack that which they hold as important.

But you also have to see this from the other view as well. Most of them see it as intolerance towards the act of homosexuality, and not as intolerance towards the homosexuals themselves.

So it is entirely possible to love someone while disagreeing with their action. Certainly, I didn't hate my brother the moment I discovered he had taken a crow bar to someone's head for their money. Did I find his action immoral? Absolutely! I didn't feel hate for him though. And that is the attitude that most Christians take on the homosexuality issue.

Sure, there are a few Christians marching around the country proclaiming God's hatred of gays. Does that make up the majority of Christians?

Onto my own opinion? I care little about the issue. Perhaps I just see other things as more important, but their marrying does not change my own definition of marriage.

I hope for the day when gays don't feel the need to make a statement. They'll then be just another average person walking down the street.

I am however not fully conviced that gays should have equal rights in adoption. It seems to me, that a straight couple should be given priority, given both the straights and gays were of good character.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast