What do you think of homosexuality (and gay marriage) ?

What do you think of homosexuality and gay marriage(choose all that apply to you) ?

• I strongly dislike gays, but think they should have the same rights as anybody else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think that religion and politics don't mix. It's none of the governments business who you, I or anyone else marries. I hardly think it's fair that the government uses the christian religion and it's 'values' and imposes thier beliefs over a entire multicultural country. I fully support gay marriage.

I don't see why it isn't working.. But..Try This and tell me if it works.

I don't mind gays..a lot of my friends are gay or bi...and I think that they are born that way and that it wasn't their decision..I do want them to have the same right as everyone else, but I feel it might bring too many problems among religious groups,etc..

Camui said:
I don't mind gays..a lot of my friends are gay or bi...and I think that they are born that way and that it wasn't their decision..I do want them to have the same right as everyone else, but I feel it might bring too many problems among religious groups,etc..

So what? It's a free country. Let them deal with it. If I want to marry another human being should I really have to worry about what some religious zealot thinks? Should anyone have to stop and think "hmmm, how will my life affect religion" before doing what makes them happy? I don't think so. But if you do then I guess that's your opinion.

Yup KoT, that second link worked. Good news! Go Ottawa.

I still want to know why people have such a big hang-up about choice and homosexuality. As a gay person, jovi, do you think it's important within the gay community for people to view homosexuality as something you're just born with?

I personally think that the whole choice thing is something to make some people feel more comfortable about homosexuality. If it's something you're born with, it's like a disease. You don't blame a child with cerebral palsy for being that way - they just are. You can't force such a child to be healed. On the other hand, if some people choose to be gay then they can choose not to be, and coercion can be used to force the issue. I think many people are more comfortable "knowing" that there's nothing that can be done about homosexuality.

Personally, I think that sexual orientation is not a simple on/off switch. In very paternalist societies (early to mid-20th century Germany, parts of today's muslim-majority countries and even feudal Japan) homosexuality is very common. Yet, many of these men who have homosexual relationships with each other would very vocally deny that they are gay. I remember hearing about the proxy homosexual sex that members of the taliban practiced which the local mullahs wouldn't condemn because they didn't consider it to be "technically" homosexuality. I think many samurai had homosexual relations with younger (or more effeminate looking) men. One of my wifes friends (a guy from the Phillipines) was nearly gang raped in Saudi Arabia by a group of young men. When women are portrayed as being little more than disgusting, horrible slaves and/or baby factories it's no wonder than men choose not to have sex with them.

Similarly, bisexuals show that sexual orientation isn't just a black and white issue. A couple (male and female) that I knew in college tried to recruit me for a sexual three-some because they thought I was gay, and the guy was bisexual. He figured I might swing both ways as well.

I would guess that homosexuality is a choice for some people, and for other's it's as much a choice as it is for men who get off on women with big feet or watching women step on things or men who like dirty women (literally covered in mud or flour or whatever). Adolescence is a time of extreme sexual imprint vulnerability. It doesn't take much - an experience here, a random encounter there, to swing a person one direction or another. Most of us (men) are genetically programmed to find heaving bossoms, thin waists and nice rounded posteriors to be attractive. Fortunately for nature, at the time we are most vulnerable to sexual imprinting, all the girls our age are showing these features as well as society bombarding us with images of sexy women. I'm sure that many gay men go through a similar process of sexual imprintation.

Either way, whether or not homosexuality is a choice seems to be irrelevant to me.

I have no problem whatsoever with gays or gay marriage. People are people, regardless of their seuxal orientation and deserve to live their lives in whatever way they see fit, and thus are deserving of the same rights as heterosexuals have (and often abuse).

It's the bible thumpers in their relentless zealotry who have made this such a hot button issue, practicing intolerance, even open hatred in some cases towards their fellow man, and all because some stupid book tells them to. I guess that the part which talks about "love thy brother" only applies if said brother was straight. Everyone else is out in the cold.

And of course, politicans are in bed with the bible thumpers because they need their votes, so they agree with the misogyny if it'll keep them in office, feeding gleefully from the public trough for another term. And of course, neither wants to discuss the fact that heterosexuals have done far more to wreck the so-called institution of marriage than gays ever will.

Like I said, people are people, be they gay or straight, and all of us deserve to be happy.

flashjeff said:
It's the bible thumpers in their relentless zealotry who have made this such a hot button issue, practicing intolerance, even open hatred in some cases towards their fellow man, and all because some stupid book tells them to. I guess that the part which talks about "love thy brother" only applies if said brother was straight. Everyone else is out in the cold.
Well, if you wished that to sway a Christian, you have essentially just lost the intended audience with a "all because a stupid book tells them to". That may be your feeling, but it is never a good way to reason with anyone, to attack that which they hold as important.

But you also have to see this from the other view as well. Most of them see it as intolerance towards the act of homosexuality, and not as intolerance towards the homosexuals themselves.

So it is entirely possible to love someone while disagreeing with their action. Certainly, I didn't hate my brother the moment I discovered he had taken a crow bar to someone's head for their money. Did I find his action immoral? Absolutely! I didn't feel hate for him though. And that is the attitude that most Christians take on the homosexuality issue.

Sure, there are a few Christians marching around the country proclaiming God's hatred of gays. Does that make up the majority of Christians?

Onto my own opinion? I care little about the issue. Perhaps I just see other things as more important, but their marrying does not change my own definition of marriage.

I hope for the day when gays don't feel the need to make a statement. They'll then be just another average person walking down the street.

I am however not fully conviced that gays should have equal rights in adoption. It seems to me, that a straight couple should be given priority, given both the straights and gays were of good character.

Revenant said:
So it is entirely possible to love someone while disagreeing with their action.

I think that's a really important thing. And not just about people being gay or whatnot - other stuff too. It's possible to practice tolerance without having to believe *everything* is right. (Otherwise life would get very confusing because it's not possible to agree with both sides of every debate!)

Gay marriage should first off be allowed in the US before anywhere else, mainly because this is a free country and each person has a right to express themselves. What if I want the love between my girlfriend and me to be official? Why should someone deny me the right because I'm different? If you look up marriage in a dictionary or online (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=marriage) I see nothing of marriage being a "religious" union, its a legal union, a union by law, its a state institution. People MAY see marriage as a religious practice, but not all of us do, and by definition, it isnt either. I'm sorry but I'm also atheist, so if marriage really IS a religious practice, what, I'm not allowed to get married at all now? That just doesn't make sense. I don't understand why it annoys people so much to see gay and bisexual people. They don't bother you, however you bother them. You express your feelings to your partner, but they're not allowed to. Thats bs... I'm bi, I have a girlfriend right now and I'm more than happy with her, I don't care what people say or do or think, because see, she and I are happy, and they're not, so sucks for them.

Gay marriage should be as legal as hetero marriage. There's nothing more to it. Simple as that. Heterosexuals marry. So then, homosexuals will have to marry too, don't they? If they want to. It's outrageous that they can't.

isayhello said:
Gay marriage should be as legal as hetero marriage. There's nothing more to it. Simple as that. Heterosexuals marry. So then, homosexuals will have to marry too, don't they? If they want to. It's outrageous that they can't.
Agreed!

jarvis said:
it's an abomination to God.
Desagreed!

...what a consructive post, isn't it? ;)

No, frankly, they have the natural right to love (well, it's naturel for them to love each other, so for me it's just like a natural law), so why shouldn't have the human right to deeply prove their love as we, hetero, do with marriage?

Duo said:
how about them adoptin children then ?
...and that will probably start a painfull discution ;) I would personnaly say "yes", you can...but...I also have two childs, and it's just so hard for me to imagine that such young lifes could miss the presence of a male (or female) during their whole childhood (not speaking about what their school friends would say, at least untill that become usual within mankind (surely not before years and years))...But well, it's perhaps even better for those childs without parents to have two fathers (or two mothers) than nothing...

I think all adoptions should be taken case by case. I don't think gay couples should be excluded from consideration for adoption. My friend has a niece, and if his brother disappeared I know Steve would be the best person to look after that kid, gay or not.

I used to have a real problem with homosexuality when I was younger. Homophobic was probably the best word to use. As I got older my views have changed a lot on the subject. I have gay and bisexual friends, both male and female, and certain held prejudices I have held have been redefined.
One of them was from a man who said that despite being gay he still had the same preferences when choosing a partner, whether it was male or female. He said the main problem he had come across was that because he was gay everyone assumed that he was after everyman.
If they are happy with their partner then they should be afforded every right that a hetro couple should have, and that should included marriage. I am still a bit wary a round gay men, probably because I don't know how I would react if they tried to pick me up. I don't know whether I would be flattered or offended. Most likely mumble "I'm straight" and leave redfaced.
BTW I have always found that people seem to be more comfortable with gay women then men. Is this just me?

I dunno what all the bloody fuss is all about!

Doesn't anybody have anything else to get worried about?

Has the existence of any "gay" individual ever spoilt your day ... or ruined your life...?

What's the big deal? .... loss of control?

?W????

This thread has been viewed 141231 times.

Back