What do you think of homosexuality (and gay marriage) ?

What do you think of homosexuality and gay marriage(choose all that apply to you) ?

• I strongly dislike gays, but think they should have the same rights as anybody else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Last edited:
One could argue that gay marriage could provide an boost to the new economy as more marriages are planned, catered, locations rented, gifts purchased, new households created, new furniture purchased, etc. Of course the divorce rate would probably increase also, so that would mean new households are created, new furniture is purchased, etc, etc etc.

But let me ask this, why bother? The divorce rate in the States is rather high, and with gay marriage, that would undoubtly increase some, so why go through all that?

Buuuuuuut when I consider my personal opinion, so I suppose someone else should get married. :)

I don't mind gays but gay marriage should not be allowed as it'd change the meaning of marriage

In all honesty, my stereotype of gays and lesbians is somewhat negative (self-involved, aggressive and emotional, demanding, tempermental, etc) but as long as allowing this right doesn't lead down the road to legalized polygamy and polyamory (group marriage, it is in the Bible after all....:)) I can't come up with any reasonable objection.

Maciamo said:
As a continuation of the threads about gay marriage, I'd like to survey where people stand on this issue, including those who haven't expressed themselves so far.
Yah, but I wouldn't be surprised if the results are affected by your vote being public in this poll.

===================================================

Elizabeth said:
In all honesty, my stereotype of gays and lesbians is somewhat negative (self-involved, aggressive and emotional, demanding, tempermental, etc)
I suspect that comes mostly from those who _want_ to be noticed. An overly 'in your face' attitude could also easily result from a reaction to negative attitudes encountered elsewhere (e.g. the more you're pushed the more you push back).

My limited direct experience of lesbian and gay couple* they did as well or rather better than the hetrosexual couples I know.

Of course it probably also depends a lot on where you are in which country.

* Yes, that's right - singular. One lesbian couple and one gay couple ;)

Mimmy_08 said:
I don't mind gays but gay marriage should not be allowed as it'd change the meaning of marriage
I think that one of the partners is traditionally male and one traditionally female is not the most important part of the meaning of marriage.

If, on the other hand, you're concerned about the religious significance of marriage then I think you are too late.

I picked the last choice. Because they are like normal people and deserve the same right as anyone. My god thier human, some people act like that becaus they like the same sex they are a different species! :p :relief:

Ummm...I picked the 5th and 8th ones. :D :p

5 & 8.. because I live in Sweden.. the REAL land of the free.
except for the fact that you can't wear swastikas in public.. that's basically the only opression we have around here.

TwistedMac said:
5 & 8.. because I live in Sweden.. the REAL land of the free.
except for the fact that you can't wear swastikas in public.. that's basically the only opression we have around here.

5 is a very badly worded option (which is why I didn't pick it).

"Homosexuality cannot be seen as immoral as it is inborn and not a matter of personal choice"

First of all it is assuming something which is far from known to be true. "Homosexuality is inborn."

While it is certain that there is a significant genetic association it is not the case that if you're born with the same genes as someone who is gay / lesbian you will also certainly be gay / lesbian. If grow up to be not gay and your identical twin grows up to be gay - was that difference established in the womb? At 1, 5, 10, 15 years old?

Secondly it's a false linkage. Do things necessarily become moral if you have an inborn desire to do them? What of people who are born without the normal capacity to develop a conscience? Is a psychopath not immoral in his actions because they result from an inborn difference? (Obviously I am NOT suggesting homosexuality is psychopathic - I'm just pointing out a flaw in the logic).

In fact much that I view as moral consists of controling ones impulses and desires in the face of the needs, feelings and mores of others.

So, should homosexuality not be viewed as immoral? YES.

Homosexuality cannot be seen as immoral as it is inborn and not a matter of personal choice. NO.

I agree with what you're saying Paul, but I still pick it as I think it is inborn and the statement is still pretty close. I suppose if you put in the word 'and' in lieu of the second 'as' it would fit my opinion better.

It does annoy me a bit when why people are gay is discussed; what does it matter? I don't see how it is relevant, but hey.

jovial_jon said:
I agree with what you're saying Paul, but I still pick it as I think it is inborn
Hmm, I very strongly doubt it is inborn for absolutely 100% of people who call themselves gay / lesbian when adult.
I also as strongly believe that it is inborn (as much as hetrosexuality is inborn for most people) in a major proportion of cases.

Exactly where it falls isn't really relevant.
I suppose if you put in the word 'and' in lieu of the second 'as' it would fit my opinion better.
Exactly - it's a lousy idea to fit two opinions into the same poll question.

I agree with you guys.
But polls are usually like that, you have to make small compromises, so I just accepted it
(I thought if Jovial can accept it then so can I) :p

jovial_jon said:
It does annoy me a bit when why people are gay is discussed; what does it matter? .

While some people do seem to be naturally homosexual, a lot of times homosexuality later in life is a trait that was engrained in the psyche of the person sometimes through a truamatic experience while they were developing mentally.

Sexual abuse can often lead to acting out sexually in adolescence, and adulthood either by promiscuity, society-deemed lewd behaviour, or a lot of the times, a conflict in sexual identity.

So it may not matter in some cases why people are gay *for those naturally gay*, but when it comes to the person having a history of truamatic sexual abuse, I think that is a matter worth caring about. Sexual abuse is nothing to just cast aside.

Ok, fair point. Although, I wasn't casting aside sexual abuse, it just didn't cross my mind.

I suspect that comes mostly from those who _want_ to be noticed. An overly 'in your face' attitude could also easily result from a reaction to negative attitudes encountered elsewhere (e.g. the more you're pushed the more you push back).
My personal experience hasn't been with the first category (the ultra-promiscuous or political about their orientation) either. There is certain defensiveness and excessive importance some gays and lesbians seem to give their sexuality that I find irritating, but of course the discrimination they have encountered hasn't been for the most part systemic or institutional so the suffering is much less obvious than with other minority groups. There's also the unique mixing of gender roles which may be a well-spring of creativity but can also make for unexpected social behaviors and mannerisms. At least I'm certainly more accepting of Japanese men, for instance, relaxing after a grueling day, who giggle and playfully touch each other than I would be for Americans....:souka:

PaulTB said:
5 is a very badly worded option (which is why I didn't pick it).

"Homosexuality cannot be seen as immoral as it is inborn and not a matter of personal choice"

First of all it is assuming something which is far from known to be true. "Homosexuality is inborn."
There are enough studies to indicate a high prevalence of pre-birth reasons for homosexuality. Inborn does not necessarily mean genetic though, other factors can be the reason (or at least be involved): eg. hormone levels during pregnancy.

Human behaviour is complex & often has complex reasons. Homosexuality may very well be genetical. But maybe the involved genes only become active under special circumstances. Whether sexual abuse may be one of the factors, I don't know. There are scientists who say so (usually these seem to be psychologists or psychiatrists, hmmm...). Fact is, we still don't know for sure, how homosexuality originates. What we know pretty sure is that it is (in almost all cases) not a matter of choice.

Secondly it's a false linkage. Do things necessarily become moral if you have an inborn desire to do them? What of people who are born without the normal capacity to develop a conscience? Is a psychopath not immoral in his actions because they result from an inborn difference? (Obviously I am NOT suggesting homosexuality is psychopathic - I'm just pointing out a flaw in the logic).
Good point, but do we need morals to judge? I judge on the danger someone poses to others. A psychopath doesn't necessarily pose a risk, neither does a homosexual. As soon as anyone harms somebody without consent (I have no problems with eg. SM) or endangers the well-being of others it becomes a case for the authorities.

As long as there is no harm, the authorities should give people as much freedom as possible & grant rights & priviledges equally.

I'm a little confused...

maybe some of you can explain this to me! (forgive my ignorance please)

Some people say that being gay is not a matter of choice...Does this mean that many gay people are saying that "I don't want to be gay, I would rather be straight, but I can't help it!"??? That concept doesn't make much sense to me...

anyone?

5.+7. for me.
I think homosexual tendencies are already determined pre-birth, but the enviroment in which the individual grows up also has much influence on wether these tendencies are lived out or suppressed.
Just like Maciamo I feel a little uneasy about gays (much less about lesbians), but there's absolutely no reason to limit their rights in any way :haihai:

CC1 said:
maybe some of you can explain this to me! (forgive my ignorance please)

Some people say that being gay is not a matter of choice...Does this mean that many gay people are saying that "I don't want to be gay, I would rather be straight, but I can't help it!"??? That concept doesn't make much sense to me...

anyone?
From M-W: " CHOICE suggests the opportunity or privilege of choosing freely <freedom of choice>."

You can't choose your sexual orientation.
You can say "from now on I'm gay" & make love with your own sex (gender). That wouldn't make you homosexual in my eyes though, unless you already had the biological (&/or psychological) disposition of homosexuality, only suppressed for whatever reason (which means you were always homosexual, but didn't [want to] know). Maybe you would understand better, if you differentiate between sexual orientation & lifestyle (although that may not really fit for all cases, either).

i dont care. gay folks can be married if they want, or not, its their choice, it doesnt matter to me. i generally dont care what people do as long as it doesnt hurt me. if someone feels they need the piece of paper, a legal agreement, to prove their love then thats fine, let them have it. who am i to tell them they cant? besides, why should i care? its really none of my business.

This thread has been viewed 141223 times.

Back