multiculturalism good or bad??

...and "forced" multiculturalism can bring with it serious social disequilibrium.

Oh, but your are a product (me too) of multiculturalism of the past. How many nations lived in Iberia that we have a records of? Celts, Romans, Vandals...., I'm pretty sure you can finish the list better than I.
You wouldn't be what you are now if not the multiculturalism of the past. And I believe that all of them were forced!
Do you hate yourself for this? I'm pretty sure you are a proud Iberian, though you are different than inhabitants 3 000 or 2 000 years ago. I'm sure if your forebears could get up and see Iberia these days they would be disgusted. Somewhat different looking people, different gods, different language, different culture, you name it, even food tastes different. They would love economic progress I guess, but the rest a big disgrace, and desecration of their land. After back from the future they would have a hell of a hard time dieing for their country, culture and gods. Stuff that won't exist in short future.

I agree that if we have a choice of mingling with other cultures we should pick ones that benefit ours and don't create conflicts.

Oh, but your are a product (me too) of multiculturalism of the past. How many nations lived in Iberia that we have a records of? Celts, Romans, Vandals...., I'm pretty sure you can finish the list better than I.
You wouldn't be what you are now if not the multiculturalism of the past. And I believe that all of them were forced!
Do you hate yourself for this? I'm pretty sure you are a proud Iberian, though you are different than inhabitants 3 000 or 2 000 years ago. I'm sure if your forebears could get up and see Iberia these days they would be disgusted. Somewhat different looking people, different gods, different language, different culture, you name it, even food tastes different. They would love economic progress I guess, but the rest a big disgrace, and desecration of their land. After back from the future they would have a hell of a hard time dieing for their country, culture and gods. Stuff that won't exist in short future.
yes, different cultures but all european, similar and compatible..

I agree that if we have a choice of mingling with other cultures we should pick ones that benefit ours and don't create conflicts.

I'm quite certain you would not want the floodgates opened in your country for every poorly educated, unskilled Third World person, many of whom will probably not assimilate very well? Talk about potential for social disequilibrium...

Take a close look at what is transpiring in Western Europe and the United States. I reside in both sides of the pond and can tell you that we are flirting with disaster. There are so many illegals and other dubious types floating around that it feels overwhelming sometimes.

I don't have a problem with multiculturalism but we must take a realistic approach concerning the types of people that are allowed in to Western countries. Educated, skilled persons should be favored, with Europeans given priority, provided they have some reasonable talent to offer.

I'm quite certain you would not want the floodgates opened in your country for every poorly educated, unskilled Third World person, many of whom will probably not assimilate very well? Talk about potential for social disequilibrium...

Take a close look at what is transpiring in Western Europe and the United States. I reside in both sides of the pond and can tell you that we are flirting with disaster. There are so many illegals and other dubious types floating around that it feels overwhelming sometimes.

I don't have a problem with multiculturalism but we must take a realistic approach concerning the types of people that are allowed in to Western countries. Educated, skilled persons should be favored, with Europeans given priority, provided they have some reasonable talent to offer.
Yes, I agree with you.

Some in Europe may have, but Wales emphatically has not.

Welsh are you?

Or you live in Wales do you?

Or you mix with Welsh people from all walks of life every day do you?

Or is it that you make that claim based on the antipathy that so many Welsh people feel towards a neighbour who has and continues to exploit our land.

A neighbour who buys up our villages and turns them into holiday ghetto’s, full of often trouble makers in Summer and ghost towns for the rest of the year, and that has priced our people out of the housing market in our own land by their actions.

Who has systematically raped our valleys for coal, devastated our mountains for slate, takes our water and charges us more for our own water than the people in England pay.

I remember old relatives of mine dying from “The Dust”, emphysema as a consequence of working in the coal mines.

I remember the dreadful mess surrounding the “Phurnacite” plant at Abercwmboi, a mess that despite the plant having been closed for twenty years remains still as dreadful pollution not only where it was but down the whole of the Cynon valley. And that is just one example of many “souvenirs” the English have left us.

That one so that their towns and cities could have smokeless fuel.

They took our coal, and left US with the smoke. Nice.

No, don’t mistake our dislike of the English as tribalism, it’s down to the actions of the English in our part of Great Britain.

Not so. We are, at least most of us, the result of colonisation or immigration, two very different things.

An immigrant comes to a nation and integrates into that nation bringing with him traditions and practices that will either wither on the vine over a very short period of time or become popular by the people of the nation to which he immigrates. Chinese and Indian restraints are a classic example of this. So not multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and with the benefits such a thing can bring.

But multiculturalism is different. It is colonisation by any other name and colonisation can only have one outcome. Either the colonies are broken down and integration of the colonists takes place or the colonists take over.

There is no third path.

America is the fly in the ointment, and at the same time the prime example of what happens after colonisation takes place.

Because America and to a lesser extent Canada are the consequences of colonisation followed by utter domination f the indigenous people there is an ethos that has emerged that immigration of “new” nationalities into a land and those “new” nationalities being let to develop independently is a good thing.

It is not.

For one thing the immigrants to the US had one aim, exploitation of the land and the indigenous people under a common principle, the “American Dream”. For another the sheer size of the place plus the absence of the indigenous people who had been subjected to genocide and the few survivors in essence caged into “reservations” meant that culture clashes when they did occour had room to dissipate.

And for a third thing with the exception of the Chinese mostly in the West and the former slaves the immigrants all shared a common European identity while the two principle groups who did not were largely powerless and exploited.

But today the US is facing a problem that many people simply do not understand let alone accept that it exists. The US is being re-colonised.

The people who lived American lifestyle with the associated values, ambitions, and principles up to twenty five years ago are now the indigenous people who are facing domination and not resisting it.

Funny when you think about how the Indigenous people who the White colonists faced when they started their invasion so often helped the Whites. Now the wheel has turned and the descendents of those same settlers are doing exactly the same to their colonists.

Nemesis rules not just in Greece eh?

No, Multi–culturalism is not a good thing, it is a disaster waiting to happen and a thing that should be avoided at all costs.

An immigrants should either integrate with the host country, or should not emigrate to the place and people within a country should fight colonisation. If not they “Endeavor to persevere”.

Welsh are you?

Or is it that you make that claim based on the antipathy that so many Welsh people feel towards a neighbour who has and continues to exploit our land.

A neighbour who buys up our villages and turns them into holiday ghetto’s, full of often trouble makers in Summer and ghost towns for the rest of the year, and that has priced our people out of the housing market in our own land by their actions.

Who has systematically raped our valleys for coal, devastated our mountains for slate, takes our water and charges us more for our own water than the people in England pay.

I remember old relatives of mine dying from “The Dust”, emphysema as a consequence of working in the coal mines.

I remember the dreadful mess surrounding the “Phurnacite” plant at Abercwmboi, a mess that despite the plant having been closed for twenty years remains still as dreadful pollution not only where it was but down the whole of the Cynon valley. And that is just one example of many “souvenirs” the English have left us.

No, don’t mistake our dislike of the English as tribalism, it’s down to the actions of the English in our part of Great Britain.

God bless the Welsh people. :)

Gwyllgi, show me any region in Europe rich in coal that didn't went through dirty industrialisation period. Doesn't feel that special anymore, ha?

Gwyllgi, doesn't matter if you are wrong or right, or if your concerns of multiculturalism are justified or not, fear of outside influence or new changes is a tribal instinct. Keep in mind that I'm not saying if it's a good thing or not (can be both depending on circumstances), though it might be in a way of future strong EU, but that's I guess is not what you want anyway.

It's true that in most cases multiculturalism is not a beneficial thing. It even could be a main cause that brings empires down. It's also true that the strongest societies are uniform, and united under one religion, law, culture etc.
There are also exaples of successful multicultural sociaties, and this should be analyzed why it is the case, and not discarded to the stinky bucket of all bad multiculturalism.

Welsh are you?
No.

Most of the time, yes. I'm consequently registered to vote there.

I do indeed. From Welsh Assembly Members down to the homeless.

Nope, as I have shown.

If you don't want them to be bought, stop selling them. Take it up with your countrymen who put it on the market, not the people who buy them.

Most Welsh people I know don't share that attitude. It's heard of, but only because your minority is such a vocal one. There's plenty of coal, plenty of slate, and no lack of mountains. You know this, stop pretending.

Indeed. Mining is a nasty business, and I'm glad the mines have been shut. We agree here.

I don't know Abercwmboi specifically, but I'm aware of the pollution in areas of South Wales, and that the Welsh Assembly Government have failed to press changes against Monsanto, whose contravention of laws on toxic waste has put the safety of the local population and environment at risk.

Actually, a fair bit was used in Wales. And in the export market. But either way, it's good that the Welsh economy has moved on since then.

Already covered this.

You're barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid. Most Welsh know this, and hopefully with more education in Welsh history these unfortunate misconceptions will begin to break down.
I sympathise with your grievances, but I'm under no illusions. I know Wales, I know the Welsh, and I know that the vast majority do not suffer their lives racked with bile and resentment as you do

Last edited:
And that previous post illustrates precisely why there is so much antipathy towards the English.

Funny thing is that it's the same attitude that explains why in so many parts of the world there is the same antipathy to be found.

Not very flattering when you say it to the atheist. ;)

I saw the funny side to that as well! :LOL:

I'm certain no sleight was intended.

I saw the funny side to that as well! :LOL:

I'm certain no sleight was intended.

No slight was intended. I probably should have written, "bless the Welsh people", or something along those lines.

BTW, I'm no fan of conventional religion.

I think multiculti is good as long both sides try to get a long and do comprimses..in Germany their are many debates about it now a days ,because of a football game between Germany and Turkey ..:p

los%209%20topicos.png

Multiculturalism you feel good or bad, depending on how you look or whatever you see as the color of the glass we look at it.

Is multuculturalism positive?

I will not give an answer on that.

It is to miss the point entirely.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why are so much discussion about the supposed negativity of Multiculturalim?

Because many people in the Firsl World sees current paterns of immigration to their countries, as negative.

Why negative?

For a number of reasons... some more deep or more true than others. Other based on pure prejudice... but that will be to miss the point, also.

There are many reasons why people migrate, an no case is equal from country to contry or person to person. But massive emigration, specially massive economical refugees, GENERALLY are due to not well functioning economies in many "south" countries.

And WHY does these countries don't develop faster? (In some cases, they even go a process of underdeveloping, as we speak).

The saddest reason, is that some of these countries have everything to develop and grow fast... but they have corrupt and authoritarian regimes, MOST OF THE TIMES SUPPORTED BY THE WEST (generally, the most corrupt, the higher the support)... that expell their people, that later create a problem (either political, economical, or both) in said Western countries.

Sad, very sad... and is almost maddening when you grasp it at full.

However, there are for example the East Asian countries (e.g. see China, Japan and Korea, and many others), that generally didn't followed at all the recipes that in the last four or so decades, the West tried to imposse in most of the world... and that generally (said Asian countries) are not involved much in this fenomenon of massive migration.

I don't see the solution, as it takes to acquire CONCIENCE that it is not a matter of if you like or not a concept of "multiculturalism".

(positive, in an ideal world).

Regards.

Last edited:
Well, when you start something, you feel that you have to finish it.

"Multiculturalism" is a different issue, say, in countries like Germany or Canada. For what I know, the issue is very different in both countries.

I personally like multiculturalism, here, where I live... but then, here is not an issue.

What I am really interesting at, is not if Multiculturalism by itself in abstract is positive or negative... but why, right now, is it an issue.

What are the underlying objective reasons (demographical, economical, ideological, historical) so that there is so much debate about "Multiculturalism"?

I believe that there are underlying trends and mechanisms.

That suffice for now.

Regards.

One correction Sirius, China is multicultural and multi lingual, and for quite a long time.

Time will tell if China will hold together in future though.

Probably the best example of multicultural country that is doing very well is Singapore.

What could be the worse example? In Europe probably Yugoslavia and Soviet Union, I mean a very bad final result.

This thread has been viewed 49646 times.

Back