Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiculturalism good or bad??

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Question multiculturalism good or bad??

I think xenophobia is a world wide problem not just Japan. If you go to google.com and search the terms "anti-multiculturalism" you will find that it is becoming an increasing problem outside of the Asian continent.

In north america, there is a rising problem with groups made by Ernst Zundel, Paul Fromm, Ingrid Rimland are just a few who want their "white-racial-superiority" back. Even these guys are blaming all the crime on foreigners.

Some people believe that global isolationism and homogenous societies are the key to solving economic problems. I have been observing through many variety of forums and it appears that more and more people from western societies are supporting this idea.

I know immigration might be an issue in some countries but I can't see how it is the fault of an entire race. Paul Fromm, a canadian who heads a group called CAFE '"canadian association for freedom of expression" or canadafirst.net seems to believe that multiculturalism is the cause of racial prejudice. I don't know if it is right or wrong though.
    You can find the guys website at www.paulfromm.com

Some people in the western culture seems to be afraid of the Asian culture. They don't want the european culture to become forgotten or the west to become the east.

Xenophobia comes from both sides actually. There seems to be an increasing fear amongst the western culture. The current recession might turn to depression and then war.

What are your opinions. I support multiculturalism because I am raised on that idea and have friends from just about every country. If you are against multiculturalism then I would like to know why. I don't support anyone that I have named in my post, as I only accidently bumped into their sites when I am researching on economic and population statistics around the world.

Is multiculturalism good or bad?

Your opinions are greatly appreicated.

Resident Latina Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Past the second star to the left and straight on 'til morning

Ethnic group
    Yo soy de El Salvador

That PaulFromm site made me sick to my stomach. I don't really know what else to say...
    if strawberries were people....
    I'd still eat them.

basketballman Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese

I support multiculturalism, I believe that by understanding different cultures and communicating people of different cultures,would help to reduce conflicts,and wars.

but then, although I am a westernized Asian guy, somewhere in me I want to preserve my culture

I was reading some article in a magazine,an English guy,who is into buying and selling arts by Chinese artists,
    he asked a question : 'where are the buildings from the Tong,Sung kingdoms? the most ancient buildings are in Japan and India,they are keeping them so well, but you Chinese have destroyed all those buildings'

some places in China are becoming more and more western
    there are some Asians who tries so hard to be white,to be black,why can't we just be ourselves?

1 year registered

The idea that there is such a thing as a mono culture is a load of crap
    Here's some street grafitti i saw in Europe (paraphrased, = can't remember exactly)
    Your numerals are Arabic
    Your letters are Roman
    Your shoes come from Indonesia
    You eat apricots from Turkey and oranges from Israel
    Your system of government comes from Greece
    Your religion comes from Palestine.
    Now tell me that you're living in a mono culture

'cuse I can! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Im a mutt

I support multiculturalism though it doesnt matter. I will be killed by a race war anyways, I am seeing traces of a civil war brewing here wether they(goverment) will admit it or not, The whole anti-immagrant and destiny church thing. It makes me miss the safty of the states.
    Man does not know the answers. He is a slave to the questions.

3/2 of Americans can't do fractions.

1 year registered

I'd look at what he considers ancient. The Forbidden City is older than the Taj Mahal, or many of the other Mogul buildings; and those aren't ancient. In India, "ancient" would mean Vedic or Saraswati (Harappan), imo, (at least in Northern India) and there's not much of that because most of it was built of wood.

As for multiculturalism, it's what I do (I work with books in different languages and from different places), and I learn a lot and believe I'm a better person because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    I was reading some article in a magazine,an English guy,who is into buying and selling arts by Chinese artists,
    he asked a question : 'where are the buildings from the Tong,Sung kingdoms? the most ancient buildings are in Japan and India,they are keeping them so well, but you Chinese have destroyed all those buildings'

ohayo otaku:) Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasian

i support mutli-culturalism, but not illegal imagration. have you ever seen amerasian babies? their so cute!!!!!
    I JUST SHOT SMACK INTO BOTH MY EYEBALLS, WHOOOAAAHHH!!!!!, BLAAARGGGG.....

I jump to conclusions Achievements:
    1 year registered

Of course multi-culturalism is important. People like PaulFromm are, well, morons. The best way to overcome sentiments like his? Through education, pure and simple. And, I think the best way to educate someone about other cultures is to immerse them into it, a.k.a, travel! I think it's that lack of international experience that is the biggest barrier in Amercia. Too many American have never been outside their country, and it skews their views, especially on foreign policy. What are those rumors floating around that Prez Bush never had a passport before he was elected? This is less of a problem in major cities in the US, say like NY, Chicago, and LA. (Ironically counties that voted for Kerry as well.) Some of this is, of course, not completely their fault. International travel is expensive, and many people can't afford it. Not to mention America's geography gets in the way. (Fly in a plane for 8 hourse, cross the continent, and people still speak English and shop at Walmart...)

You Europeans are so lucky.....

Kendoka/Iaidoka Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    I'm mostly a whitey (French, Irish, Cherokee, and German).

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    I support multiculturalism, I believe that by understanding different cultures and communicating people of different cultures,would help to reduce conflicts,and wars.
    I've got to agree with you on this one Dream Time... I'm all for multiculturalism, as long as every culture in the mix has fair and equal opportunities

And don't forget Matt Hale, the racist jerk who littered my best friend's neighborhood (where several different ethnicities live) with white-supremacy propaganda... yeah, that guy who tried to have that one judge killed in Chicago...

Silent Protagonist Achievements:
    1 year registered

I support multicultarism because with it we can get a better understanding of how each and every single one of us are uniquely different.

My eyes can see a rising problem with too much westernization. In particular in India and Afghanistan, where maybe in ten years when those nations become extremely prominent, their culture might have been influenced under the western wing.

Besides, true freedom comes in the form that all of us as people can live according to our beliefs.

^ lynx ^

I support selective multi-culturalism. Sadly, not all cultures in this world are ready to live along with others.

Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

Multiculturalism is fine in principal. We can all learn and advance as human beings through direct exposure to cultures and people different from our own. However, I do not support large scale Third World immigration to Western countries. The problems that come with such are potentially extreme.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,021
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Well I would argue that on a basic level no one is for multi culturalism.

Why?
    If you look at your friends, and someone asked you why are these people your friends? You might say we have alot in common we share similar interests.

A fundamental truth of human nature is we like people who are like us, we like predictability and familiarity. We choose our friends on this basis, for that to work on a cultural level youwould require a certain level of intergration.

From my experience it doesn't work, either people intergrate into a new indenitty, the immigrants blend into the native culture or you get pockets of immigrants maintaining their own customs cut off from social activity in the mainstream.

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pre-Adam
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Pre-Eva

Ethnic group
    Albanian - Dinaric

It's stupidity.

China is ofr chinese, England for englishmen, Arabia for arabians.

Who want to see, and enjoy chinese culture, the humanity has a job called "tourism". Travel by plane, go there and enjoy. We don't need another culture in our places.

Every country has its own history and culture and must continue with that.

Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I don't drop acid
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Well, not any more!

Ethnic group
    Welsh

1 members found this post helpful.
    To try to create a multi-cultural nation and expect a stable thing to emerge is nonsense.

To start with the use of the word “culture” in such a context is wrong because the dimensions attributed to “culture” extend deeply into those of nationality.

Culture, and even then the word should be lifestyle, when it is restricted to those things associated with custom and practice, diet, dress, diet, and traditions are entirely reasonable things to be introduced into a nation by immigration.

Such things usually either become lost after a couple of generations or if beneficial or valuable to the host nation get taken up in short order.

On the other hand when a nationality is what is involved, and a host nation is expected to accept the creation of a group of people who demand to retain their own nationality within a host nation then that is wrong.

If they refuse to integrate with the host nation, and over a period of time assume the nationality of the host, including all that goes with it, then that is wrong.

That is not becoming multi-cultural, that is becoming colonised, and to see the effects of colonisation it is only necessary to look at history.

Multi-ethnic, fine. Multi lifestyle, fine, at least up to the point that the ‘new’ lifestyle clashes adversely with that of the host, when it is NOT fine,

But multi national , aka multi-cultural? Absolutely NOT fine. It is a recipe for disaster.
    Some days you're the dog. Other days you're the lamp post.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I don't drop acid
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Well, not any more!

Ethnic group
    Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Neander View Post
    It's stupidity.

China is ofr chinese, England for englishmen, Arabia for arabians.

Who want to see, and enjoy chinese culture, the humanity has a job called "tourism". Travel by plane, go there and enjoy. We don't need another culture in our places.

Every country has its own history and culture and must continue with that.
    What you describe is tribalism.

We in Europe grew out of that years ago.

It's an attitude that is contrary to the spirit of the EU and real Europeans.

Keep in mind that it takes a damm site more than joining us in the EU by having you state accepted in order to be a European.

Keep your lifestyles, keep your traditions, but become a part of the gestalt that is the EU.

And "gestalt" is the perfect word to describe where we are going.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

I think Singapore is the best example of thriving multiculturalism.

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

I don't think what we need is multiculturalism. I don't like multiculturalism. Basically I want to keep my culture, language, customs, traditions, and even ethnicity. But what we have is not a 'natural' multiculturalism, but a 'forced' multiculturalism, due to globalization, mass immigration, etc.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    I don't think what we need is multiculturalism. I don't like multiculturalism. Basically I want to keep my culture, language, customs, traditions, and even ethnicity. But what we have is not a 'natural' multiculturalism, but a 'forced' multiculturalism, due to globalization, mass immigration, etc.
    ...and "forced" multiculturalism can bring with it serious social disequilibrium.

Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
    What you describe is tribalism.

We in Europe grew out of that years ago.

It's an attitude that is contrary to the spirit of the EU and real Europeans.

Keep in mind that it takes a damm site more than joining us in the EU by having you state accepted in order to be a European.
    Keep your lifestyles, keep your traditions, but become a part of the gestalt that is the EU.
    And "gestalt" is the perfect word to describe where we are going.
    Some in Europe may have, but Wales emphatically has not.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    ...and "forced" multiculturalism can bring with it serious social disequilibrium.
    Oh, but your are a product (me too) of multiculturalism of the past. How many nations lived in Iberia that we have a records of? Celts, Romans, Vandals...., I'm pretty sure you can finish the list better than I.
    You wouldn't be what you are now if not the multiculturalism of the past. And I believe that all of them were forced!
    Do you hate yourself for this? I'm pretty sure you are a proud Iberian, though you are different than inhabitants 3 000 or 2 000 years ago. I'm sure if your forebears could get up and see Iberia these days they would be disgusted. Somewhat different looking people, different gods, different language, different culture, you name it, even food tastes different. They would love economic progress I guess, but the rest a big disgrace, and desecration of their land. After back from the future they would have a hell of a hard time dieing for their country, culture and gods. Stuff that won't exist in short future.

I agree that if we have a choice of mingling with other cultures we should pick ones that benefit ours and don't create conflicts.

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Oh, but your are a product (me too) of multiculturalism of the past. How many nations lived in Iberia that we have a records of? Celts, Romans, Vandals...., I'm pretty sure you can finish the list better than I.
    You wouldn't be what you are now if not the multiculturalism of the past. And I believe that all of them were forced!
    Do you hate yourself for this? I'm pretty sure you are a proud Iberian, though you are different than inhabitants 3 000 or 2 000 years ago. I'm sure if your forebears could get up and see Iberia these days they would be disgusted. Somewhat different looking people, different gods, different language, different culture, you name it, even food tastes different. They would love economic progress I guess, but the rest a big disgrace, and desecration of their land. After back from the future they would have a hell of a hard time dieing for their country, culture and gods. Stuff that won't exist in short future.
    yes, different cultures but all european, similar and compatible..

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post

I agree that if we have a choice of mingling with other cultures we should pick ones that benefit ours and don't create conflicts.
    I'm quite certain you would not want the floodgates opened in your country for every poorly educated, unskilled Third World person, many of whom will probably not assimilate very well? Talk about potential for social disequilibrium...

Take a close look at what is transpiring in Western Europe and the United States. I reside in both sides of the pond and can tell you that we are flirting with disaster. There are so many illegals and other dubious types floating around that it feels overwhelming sometimes.

I don't have a problem with multiculturalism but we must take a realistic approach concerning the types of people that are allowed in to Western countries. Educated, skilled persons should be favored, with Europeans given priority, provided they have some reasonable talent to offer.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    I'm quite certain you would not want the floodgates opened in your country for every poorly educated, unskilled Third World person, many of whom will probably not assimilate very well? Talk about potential for social disequilibrium...

Take a close look at what is transpiring in Western Europe and the United States. I reside in both sides of the pond and can tell you that we are flirting with disaster. There are so many illegals and other dubious types floating around that it feels overwhelming sometimes.

I don't have a problem with multiculturalism but we must take a realistic approach concerning the types of people that are allowed in to Western countries. Educated, skilled persons should be favored, with Europeans given priority, provided they have some reasonable talent to offer.
    Yes, I agree with you.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I don't drop acid
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Well, not any more!

Ethnic group
    Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus_88 View Post
    Some in Europe may have, but Wales emphatically has not.
    Welsh are you?

Or you live in Wales do you?

Or you mix with Welsh people from all walks of life every day do you?

Or is it that you make that claim based on the antipathy that so many Welsh people feel towards a neighbour who has and continues to exploit our land.

A neighbour who buys up our villages and turns them into holiday ghetto’s, full of often trouble makers in Summer and ghost towns for the rest of the year, and that has priced our people out of the housing market in our own land by their actions.

Who has systematically raped our valleys for coal, devastated our mountains for slate, takes our water and charges us more for our own water than the people in England pay.

I remember old relatives of mine dying from “The Dust”, emphysema as a consequence of working in the coal mines.

I remember the dreadful mess surrounding the “Phurnacite” plant at Abercwmboi, a mess that despite the plant having been closed for twenty years remains still as dreadful pollution not only where it was but down the whole of the Cynon valley. And that is just one example of many “souvenirs” the English have left us.

That one so that their towns and cities could have smokeless fuel.

They took our coal, and left US with the smoke. Nice.

No, don’t mistake our dislike of the English as tribalism, it’s down to the actions of the English in our part of Great Britain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast