multiculturalism good or bad??

One correction Sirius, China is multicultural and multi lingual, and for quite a long time.

When I spoke about the Asian countries I didn't mean they were not Multicultural, but that they followed their own economic models.

I agree with what you expressed above.

Probably the best example of multicultural country that is doing very well is Singapore.

I agree in your positive appreciation... but I am not sure is the best.

What could be the worse example? In Europe probably Yugoslavia and Soviet Union, I mean a very bad final result.

As I say, I am not in this thread "in favor" or "against" Multiculturalism in an "objective" sense.

(In the subjective sense, I like it... as a personal taste).

What I was refering in my last to post above, was some aspects around the discussion of Multiculturalism, not Multiculturalism itself.

Regards.

What I am really interesting at, is not if Multiculturalism by itself in abstract is positive or negative... but why, right now, is it an issue.

I think because right now massive numbers of people are moving around the world like never before and native populations are feeling under threat. But like multiculturism or not, large economies do need large labour forces to remain healthy and continue to grow so immigration has to be the inevitable result.

I grew up with the children of immigrants from all over the word because of multiculturism and it was a wonderful experience but it really depends on the attitude of the immigrants themselves and the attitude of the host country toward the immigrants whether or not it is successful. Only time will tell.

Bringing bad genes into good genes will only hurt the good genes in terms of fitness.

If you are culture, and bad genes are flowing into your country, why on earth would it be favorable?

If you are a culture, and good genes are flowing into your country, you may approve, but given too much flow - your own culture will change - which was shaped for thousands of years - and cultural problems may arise between new and old. Why? Because the culture of your own is a product of survival, it works, any changes are not guaranteed to work.

What I am really interesting at, is not if Multiculturalism by itself in abstract is positive or negative... but why, right now, is it an issue.
It's an issue because it has been going on since air transportation became a feasible way of gene flow.

THink about this.

In the beginning all was fine, you experienced new people, nothing was harmed. Over time, more and more of those people came into your towns. Now they try to over-run the neighborhood, they don't contribute, and they stay to themselves. They don't speak the same language. Now what? They commit more crime, the people have to pay their welfare, medical care, etc. They take more money from the economy than they produce.

Economic times are hard, but getting better. People don't want to pay for people that have little genetic relation to them. The question of multiculturalism comes up.

It's an issue because it has been going on since air transportation became a feasible way of gene flow.

I think that the former post and this quote, deals with Eugenics, and well, ideas of racial superiority.

I personally do not want to deal separatelly "cultural" and "racial" issues.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the beginning all was fine, you experienced new people, nothing was harmed. Over time, more and more of those people came into your towns. Now they try to over-run the neighborhood, they don't contribute, and they stay to themselves. They don't speak the same language. Now what? They commit more crime, the people have to pay their welfare, medical care, etc. They take more money from the economy than they produce.

This is a pretty well summarize the compound of fears, real or imagined, that people in receiving countries have, and effectively make Multiculturalism (I rather say, massive immigration) a so actual issue.

However, whole countries like Australia, Canada and the USA were constructed that way... with massive immigration.

About the USA... If they had only received the initial wave that constructed the 13 colonies of New England they could have not be able to effectively populate the center and the west (for good or wrong).

Economic times are hard, but getting better. People don't want to pay for people that have little genetic relation to them. The question of multiculturalism comes up.

O.K.

However, it is difficult to say if in all the cases immigrants improve or worsen the economic situation.

It could not be proven, for you cannot put or take out the people to test it. And even if you do, you cannot control everything, and say that a point about it, is completedly proved.

What it is truth, is that many people in the receiving countries feel these fears/grevances, and that generate hate... against people generally more weak. It helps the creation of radical nativistic political movements.

Thererefore, I believe that when it is posible, the people in those countries that plan to migrate, have conscience that the best option will be to stay and try to improve their own countries.

If there is not massive immigration, the reaction of rejection could be less fueled, and the good experiences of @Antigone, as multicultural emigrants, will be more generalized.

Regards.

This thread has been viewed 49769 times.

Back