To Zi Germans!

It's pretty funny when you think about it...here in Sweden, the germans atrocities during the war are fully portrayed in schoolbooks, and the swastika is really tabu. But if you read about what the russians did...well, they're basicly portrayed as heroes. :) Most schoolbooks write very nicely about the russians and how they fought against the nazis, and they just briefly mentioned how many people Stalin killed. And the commie-symbol (i don't know what it's called in english, is it the hammer and sickle?) is not very taboo at all. :)

Is it like that for you people in other countries too?

Both Russian and German crimes are remembered in Poland. But mostly by older generations. When young people hear about WW2, they switch off or walk away to more interesting activities.

I have noticed over my last 2 years in Germany. They really don't have the patriotic side that a lot of Americans have. (ex, in America you see the flag on and around peoples' houses) Not in Germany. But, They are proud of Soccer (futbal to some.)

I lived the the States for 10 years during my teens, and notice that the English and Europeans don't fly the flag as much as Americans as a sign of national pride. It doesn't mean the pride isn't there - it just manifests in different ways, e.g. sport.

Chris

This thread has been viewed 22747 times.

Back